Thread: Headspacing Belted Magnums

Basic Member

Headspacing Belted Magnums

Just a quick question for you more knowledge guys. Is the process for setting headspacing different on the belted mangums like the 300 Win Mag or is it the same process as another and a regular round. I have headspace gauges that I will be using but just wanted to make sure there was not something else I needed to be aware of.

Thanks

Savage6x284
    The headspacing on the belted magnums is determined by, and measured to the front of the belt. This is what your headspace gages will set.
    The belt may have been desirable on the .375 and .300 H&H due to their very shallow shoulder angle but they are merely superfluous on any cartridge with a pronounced shoulder.
    The belt was however very good for marketing purposes in the 1950-1960's when a whole bunch of belted magnums made their debut.

Set the headspace with your gages initially but after you've fired a cartridge in that chamber you don't need to size to the belt at all. Treat them as normal cartridges and use the shoulder. If you do size all the way to the belt you'll likely be working your brass too much because you'll be pushing the shoulder back every time.