Thread: A tale of two Axis rifles in 22-250

n4ue

A tale of two Axis rifles in 22-250

I decided to start a new thread about my new Axis rifles. It was kinda off the other threads, so if you don't like it, delete it.

Rifles:
    #1 Savage Axis 22-250 with a trigger job.
    #2 Savage Axis 22-259 HB model rechanbered into 22-250 Ackley Improved, also with a trigger job

I took both rifles to our private range today. My experienced shooting buddy and I shot both at various targets. We took turns shooting/observing to determine how they performed. Both used Sierra # 1400 52 gr HPBT bullets.....

#1 was a skinny bbl Axis with a Mueller 8.5X25-50 AO mm scope. It was set to 18X to compete with Axis #2

#2 was a new HB Axis in 22-250 which I rechambered into 22-250 Ackley Improved. It was equipped with a new BSA 6-18 Gold scope

Although both rifles shot excellent and neither was 'better' than the other, the following observations were seen:

Remember that these are both NEW rifles and have very few rounds down the HBN bore, these are JUST observations, the chronograph results will be coming later. Both used Nosler new brass fireformed to both chambers.....

#1 was using my standard load of 38 gr of H380. The rifle was observed for both recoil, muzzle blast, and performance on 2 liter, and 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water.

#2 was the 22-250 AI HB rifle. It was using a loading of IMR-4064 which was a 'mid' loading for the AI It should have been about 300 fps faster than the load used by rifle #1.

Both my buddy and I agreed that the HB rifle shot 'better' than #1. Meaning the recoil was actually less than the slower rifle. No doubt due to the heavier bbl.....
    All I can say is, I love my Axis rifles (now own 9) and with a little attention, they will shoot right up there with my high $ target rifles....

BTW. when my buddy saw the performance of #2 on a one gallon water jug, all he could say was:

"That would sure ruin the day of a Groundhog!!"... So true!

ron

Basic Member
    I really.enjoy the Axis. I do wish the qc was.tighter on the finish its tough but I have seen thin spots and rust show up on some basically NIB rifles. Otherwise show them a little love and.they make.great rifles.

The HB is looking to be a nice offering.

Of course without the.folks here I doubt there would have been a second! We're up to 4 now and aside from the latest one they are.all savage oem barrels.

I think it's fun when someone asks "What rifles this?". Witha huge grin "a Savage Axis!".

I get back stuff like "Isn't that the one with the loose sloppy feeling bolt?"

I always say "Hmn, not mine. Though I did polish it a little."

jasta
    Thanks for the info. Any chance you could do a side by side picture of the 2 barrels for comparison?

Havent had the chance over here to see one yet....

Cheers

Jas