Basic Member

My Axis II

Axis II 260 Rem
    McGowan 20" SS 5/8 24 threaded muzzle brake
    Boyds laminate pepper Tacticool pillared and bedded
    Leupold VX II 6-18x40 LRV
    Butler Creek Caps
    Burris Tactical ext bases (steel)
    Burris Signature Zee Rings (-20 inserts to keep it low)
    Butler Creek sling/Blackhawk hardware
    Blackhawk Bi-Pod 13-23"

Loaded up 28 rounds Nosler brass, Hornady 129gr Interlock SP's over 44gr IMR 4350 avg 2776 lowest ES was 40 but accuracy was about as good as factory ammo for a guesstimate load. Zero was as easy as any rifle and easier then many.

Can't wait to see what it does with match grade bullets and some load work up.
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Great looking rig!! Assuming that was a special order Tacticool. How long did it take to get that delivered?

Basic Member
    I think it was 12 day? Not sure. I originally ordered it for something else when this Axis II came in another member here let me know and this seemed a better use.

Custom options:
    Pepper
    Kick Eez Pad
    LOP 14 1/4

I sanded.and polished this thing for the better.part of a.week trying to get down to something the.resembled wood to customize it a lttle. Its just not.there. I did.get some redwood and dark walnut rubbed in. But it was.hard.to get the look I wanted. I doubt I'll use another tacticool. But it works really well for this rifle
    I likely will use a thumbhole on the one this was originally bought for.

Cool rig! It looks very functional. I also like the pepper laminate Tacticool. It gives the overall look a bit of depth. The bipod looks pretty tall. Is it comfortable to shoot?

Basic Member
    Does the longer lop help to get behind the scope? I had one of these stocks on a 22 RF and it seemed to me I was hunched up behind the gun when shooting. I might have to order one of these.

Basic Member
    It's just how long my arms are. But with the bi-pod it seemes to be important to have a good fit. My neighbor is 5'4" and did well with it. No doubt with heavy clothes it would be too long for him.

I set it up like this for shooting from a blind or fence line. At 12lbs with pod its not really a rifle I expect to take on drives. But woodchucks out in the bean fields will probably not like it!

I do have to get up on it when on 18x but at 6x the eye relief is very forgiving.

Savage Ben
    Very nice, I think i want to try the .260 next

Basic Member
    Its a well balanced cartridge. Light recoil, high BC bullets the only downside is off the shelf ammo isn't as common as 243 or 308. But can't have everything.

Team Savage
    Looks great

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    Its a well balanced cartridge. Light recoil, high BC bullets the only downside is off the shelf ammo isn't as common as 243 or 308. But can't have everything.
    I haven't seen .243 ammo in almost 2 months where I am . . . Thankfully I find plenty of my .308 though!

Looks good!!!!!!! Like I said, that one's gonna be fun. Is that Brake McGowan also?
    Go ahead, You have my undivided attention...

Basic Member
    Hate to admit it but not sure. The guy I bought it.from switched it from the custom one it was advertised with. Looks like an ebay special. I didn't realize the switch until I pulled it out to put the barrel on. It works ok. Was a little disappointed in the lack of integrity... But I did get a very nice Redding 4 die set in the deal.

When ya want.to give er a go? Its such a powderpuff to shoot your wife would even like it.

Let me see what's coming up, I'd love to give that rifle a crack. I had to laugh on the wife comment, I bought a box of clays to set up and shoot (destructive side coming out) and she piped right up, "I wanna shoot em' too!!!!" I told her she had to use the 223, we'll see how it goes ;-) I'll get her on the end of a centerfire yet, it's one of my goals in life. I know she's not going for the Mauser, she's seen the swollen cheekbone and caught me rubbing my shoulder so that's a no go. Gotta get her on a mild gun and sink the high power hook in deeper first I think.
    Go ahead, You have my undivided attention...

Basic Member
    Took this out and ran some test loads today. Of the powders I have tried IMR4350 is still giving me the best results.
    129gr Hornady SP
    Nosler Cases
    IMR4350 44.5grs
    CCI LRM primers (ran out of br2's)

Giving me avg@2800 which was my targeted fps from this 20" barrel. Primers are flattening but hopefully the brass can take it. Accuracy is pretty consistent @ .5 which is better the I am. I don't think even with br2 primers could I pull it together any better. Though I will be trying.

Will post some targets next time around.
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]