Thread: Need Help with bolt disassembly on model 10 in .308

J-Bear

Need Help with bolt disassembly on model 10 in .308

I removed the bolt from my receiver and adjusted the bolt to the fired position. I then wrapped the bolt up in some soft cloths and gently put it in my vice. I can't seem to get the bolt on the back of the bolt handle to budge at all! I have used several 1/4 inch hex wrenches including one in a socket driver. The only thing I haven't tried to loosen it with is a breaker bar. I am sure I would be putting way too much force on the bolt if I was to use a breaker bar on it. I called Savage and they said they can't tell me anything about it because it isn't standard disassembly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

GaryBF
    Too bad you are not a paid member, there is a nice FAQ on exactly that question. Basically you put the bolt, with wrench, on the floor and step on it. POP! goes the BAS.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBF View Post
    Too bad you are not a paid member, there is a nice FAQ on exactly that question. Basically you put the bolt, with wrench, on the floor and step on it. POP! goes the BAS.
    He nailed it. Put one foot on the bolt handle, the other on the wrench, and it'll break loose.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

J-Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    He nailed it. Put one foot on the bolt handle, the other on the wrench, and it'll break loose.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that and even gave it an extra bounce and it still wont budge. I weigh almost 200 lbs. There is nothing to support the bolt body. I don't want to destroy the bolt before hunting season. Is this the only way?

Basic Member
    The usual procedure, lay the bolt on the floor then use your foot to press down on the allen wrench.

I clamp them is a vice across the bolt handle and body then use a 12" 3/8" drive breaker bar. I haven't had the need to bring out the 1/2" drive impact wrench....yet!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

J-Bear
    The Impact wrench might be my next step. I have tried this about a dozen times and it isn't budging at all. Also, I do have the wrench to the right so the bolt will thread out counter clockwise.

Basic Member
    Lay your bolt on the floor with the handle to the left and bolthead to the right. Place your right foot firmly on the bolt body and rotate the bolt handle away from you until it is against the floor. Insert allen wrench at about a 45 degree angle and stomp on it like it was an armored cockroach. Don't play with it just stomp the poop out of it, standing won't do it a lot of times. It will make a loud pop and it is loose. That's all there is to it. Keep it OUT of the vise. Too much chance of it turning and gouging the bolt body.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Bearguide444
    try a little elbow grease

J-Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearguide444 View Post
    try a little elbow grease
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I have tried everything suggested except the impact wrench. I will try that tomorrow afternoon. Also, I was only able to find elbow grease in 5 gallon containers... I used every last drop of it!

Basic Member
    The Savage gorilla must have been off the day my bolt was assembled. The rear bolt that you can't get loose was ready to fall out of mine.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

There is a video on YouTube that I used... you can leave the bolt in the rifle for support... mine was a little tough but got there with a firm hand.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    There is a video on YouTube that I used... you can leave the bolt in the rifle for support... mine was a little tough but got there with a firm hand.
    That's a good way to break the bolt head retaining pin

"Good" or "the best"? Hahaha.... was only trying to help!

DonnyRay
    I wrapped a towel around mine and secured it in a bench vice.
    Then I cut the elbow off an allen wrench and chucked it in my hammer drill.
    Put the drill on reverse and in hammer mode.
    Came right out.

Hammer47
    Do the u tube video, I did it yesterday with the same problem and even a dummy like me could follow the instructions.