Thread: What's your base/ring/scope setup on your Axis???

Question What's your base/ring/scope setup on your Axis???

I've currently got an Axis 308, with an EGW 0moa base, Burris XTR Medium rings, and an SWFA 16x42.

I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor Axis now and have an EGW 20moa base, and a Vortex 6-24x50 for it. Trying to figure out what ring height to go with.

Thinking seriously about going with the Burris Signature Zee rings after all the great things I've read about them. I'm thinking the mediums, but don't wanna run into issues with the bolt handle hitting the bell of the scope, or the front bell hitting the front of the base or the barrel.

I've had no issues with the XTRs, and, if I'm 100% honest, I really don't like the look of the Sig Zee's compared to the XTRs, but I'm trying to make myself get over that... lol

Any insight/input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Basic Member
    The EGW base is pretty high. I have the 20MOA version with SWFA 12x42 in SWFA low rings and still have a 1/4" or more. Pretty sure I could run a 50mm scope in the same rings.

Hrmmm... That's what I was afraid of. The Sig Zee rings don't come in Lows. They start at Medium.

Is that 1/4" clearance scope to barrel, or scope to bolt handle?

I guess I'd definitely have plenty of clearance with the mediums, I'm just hoping to get the scope a little closer to the barrel this time around. My current setup is rather high.

ottawacats
    I have the weaver base # 35226, Leupold PRW med rings # 54167 and a Vortex viper hs lr 4x16x44. I have 1/4" - 3/8" of clearance between scope and barrel, they don't offer 30mm lows in that ring design. Its what they had in stock for a 30mm scope and I want to go shooting. I don't find the checkweld and eye relief bad at all so the medium rings work for me.

Matt

Basic Member
    EGW 20 MOA base
    Burris Signature Zee rings (30mm) Medium height
    Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50
    Vortex flip up covers

Stevens Model 200 in 308 Winchester

Basic Member
    I used -20 inserts in both rings to get slightly lower. Just throwing it out there.

123 views... I know some of you 123 people have an Axis with a scope. Come on. Just post what you're running. Even if you can't post a picture right away, tell us how much clearance you have to the barrel and the bolt handle.

Basic Member
    So here is what I have since and since I have viewed this thread twice now feel obligated to post :)

EGW 0 MOA base
    SWFA rings (30mm) Medium height
    SWFA SS 10x42
    Butler Creek flip up covers

Pictures aren't very good but shows you the clearance between the bolt handle and housing even with the covers on. Its about 3/4''.

AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/80867

anyone using this weaver one piece base? I'd like to see if it's much lower than the egw and if it is okay for a precision setup.

Basic Member
    It is lower. Works fine isn't heavy duty by any means. I have a 44mm scope mounted in med burris signature rings with inserts. Recomend filing down the front set of knobs for a little more clearance.

Bolt clears with these rings. Regular burris zee med had to grind the bolt handle slightly for clearance.

Have this on 3 rifles no complaints 2 have bolt handles shaved. 1 just has a smaller eye box then the other 2. We did glue em down er I mean bed them with loctite.

Basic Member
    Here is a picture of the Weaver right next to the EGW. Weaver is on the left and the EGW on the right mounted on my Axis. I know the picture leaves a lot to be desired, but if you look closely you will see the larger base on the EGW which of course gives it the additional height. As for utilizing it for PRS, thinking it would work just fine, going to put this one on my new 22-250.

AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    So here is what I have since and since I have viewed this thread twice now feel obligated to post :)
    LOL, and it is GREATLY appreciated. :) I actually went ahead and ordered the Sig Zees tonight in medium. Hopefully they'll clear. Guess we'll find out. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Here is a picture of the Weaver right next to the EGW. Weaver is on the left and the EGW on the right mounted on my Axis. I know the picture leaves a lot to be desired, but if you look closely you will see the larger base on the EGW which of course gives it the additional height. As for utilizing it for PRS, thinking it would work just fine, going to put this one on my new 22-250.
    Thanks Rosco! That looks like it will work out perfectly for my next build. I was looking for a one-piece base but didn't need all the beefiness and extended length of the EGW, and want to keep it low since it's going on a sporter stock. Appreciate it!

Basic Member
    I think you will be fine, but let us know if the clerance gives you all sorts of trouble! :)
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    No problem Chris glad to help out.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250