Thread: Question on scope eye relief vs ring position on mounts

Basic Member

Question on scope eye relief vs ring position on mounts

Thanks for looking. I'm new to the world of using scopes. Got a lot to learn and this is an example.

Recently bought a Savage Model 10P, SWFA SS 10 x 42 Scope, SWFA medium rings, and EGW one piece mount.

Been told the way to position the scope is to have the scope loosely mounted in the rings, close your eyes, bring the rifle into shooting position and then open you eyes. If the scope is at the right eye relief, you should get a good sight picture without having to move your head.

Did that and ended up with the scope in the position shown below.

In other threads, I notice most of the rear rings are positioned further rearward, just over the rear receiver. My rear ring is mounted about two inches forward of that. In order to place the scope at the proper eye relief, that is where my scope needs to be and that forces the rear ring to be forward.

Is something wrong with this?

Thanks a million for sharing your advice and wisdom.

Basic Member
    That does seem a little far to the front but if that's what is comfortable for you for eye relief then leave it.

Basic Member
    Can you take a picture of the rifle showing the butt stock. I'm wondering wear your cheek weld is and if maybe you need to build up on the stock to raise your head higher instead of stretching far forward to see through the scope.

Make sure your head/neck is is upright and not stretching forward to see through the scope. Other things to think about, are you setting up to shoot off a bench or from the prone? Use the position you intend to shoot from the most to determine your eye relief.

Last thing is Length of pull (measurement from trigger to end of buttstock) If you are tall like me (6'5'') you may need as much as 15". Make sure you are as comfortable as possible behind the scope when setting it up.

Eye relief is what it is . I'm a stock crawler and most of my scopes are set pretty far forward.The only problem I see is the same problem I've had before with the standard EGW picatiiny mounts. They sit so high I usually have to add an adjustable cheek piece, comb riser or stock pack to get a proper cheek weld when I shoulder the rifle. When you shoulder it with your eyes closed are you looking through the center of the scope or the bottom and then having to tilt your head back or up? If so you may want to look into a different EGW mount. The EGW HD mount sits much lower and helps alleviate this problem as well as bringing the center axis of the scope down closer to the rifles bore, Or you might want to try something temporary like a stock pack and if it helps then look into something more permanent and stable like a Karstens style adjustable cheek rest. They're pretty easy to make from Kydex and there is a ton of internet info on how to. Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Can you take a picture of the rifle showing the butt stock. I'm wondering wear your cheek weld is and if maybe you need to build up on the stock to raise your head higher instead of stretching far forward to see through the scope.

Make sure your head/neck is is upright and not stretching forward to see through the scope. Other things to think about, are you setting up to shoot off a bench or from the prone? Use the position you intend to shoot from the most to determine your eye relief.

Last thing is Length of pull (measurement from trigger to end of buttstock) If you are tall like me (6'5'') you may need as much as 15". Make sure you are as comfortable as possible behind the scope when setting it up.
    Make sure your head/neck is is upright and not stretching forward to see through the scope. Other things to think about, are you setting up to shoot off a bench or from the prone? Use the position you intend to shoot from the most to determine your eye relief. I will try to address your concerns this weekend. thanks for your input

Last thing is Length of pull (measurement from trigger to end of buttstock) If you are tall like me (6'5'') you may need as much as 15". Measured it to be 13.75" And I also am tall with long arms. 35" sleeves.

Basic Member
    Sound like you may need to add a spacer for LOP.

thomae
    If you are comfortable and are able to repeat your cheek weld/sight picture every time you shoulder the rifle, you should be good. Precision comes by doing exactly the same thing each time. There are rules of thumb, and the other posters are all making good points and suggestions, however there are so many variables that it may be that what works well for you is different than what works for most other folks. At the range or when hunting, if your results are consistent and good, you are probably ok.
    For example, for me, my scopes are much more to the rear of my rifle than most other shooters prefer. It works for me.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Sound like you may need to add a spacer for LOP.
    +1
    If your comfortable with it......there is nothing wrong with the mounting position.
    Chances are your stock is to short for you and you will probably not be comfortable and that can mess with accuracy big time.
    Most rifle stocks leave the factory with a 13.5" length of pull.
    I have to lengthen them to almost 15" for me and I found doing so was the biggest accuracy enhancing modification I can make.
    It seems insignificant but the small muscle tension used to overcome a poor fit can really effect the accuracy potential of a rifle and make recoil very uncomfortable decreasing the pleasure of shooting all around.

Basic Member
    +2 Try a Beartooth slip-on recoil pad. They are made of neoprene and have many different inserts so you can experiment and make it whatever length you want. I am 6' 3" and use them on almost all of my rifles. Nice thing, too, is they slip on and off real easy if you want to sell or let someone else shoot it. (or need it shorter for bulky hunting coat, etc.)