Thread: POI change with barrel change

yoteman

POI change with barrel change

Last year before I retired I bought a Savage 10 stagger feed 308 HB. It came with the factory Tupperware stock and 18" barrel. One of the first things I did was to get a 26" Shilen barrel from Jim and a Choate tactical stock. This barrel shoots lights out and is dead on at 100 yards. I recently purchased a 22-250 HB to have a switch barrel rifle. I have modified a barrel nut wrench to loosen barrel nut without the need of removing scope and picatinny rail. My question is how much of a POI impact should I expect when the 22-250 barrel is screwed on?

Basic Member
    No idea.

But be sure to zero or note your turret marks and mark both barrels so as to indicate where they should be seated to and you may be able to come close to your original settings when you switch back and forth, I presume.

Basic Member
    No way to know. Could be close but could be way way off. I did this same thing couple weeks ago. Swapped off a .243 and put on a 223. The poi was 2" low and 7" left of the .243's poi.

My 22/250 was within 1/8" for windage and nearly 1" in elevation after removing the 308 barrel.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    I put index marks on the lock nut and barrel in hopes I get the barrel back on exactly the same. Still check the zero. If you don't get the barrel back on with exactly the same headspace, I would expect the POI to change.

When going from one barrel to another I would expect to have a completely different POI. IMHO it would be dumb luck if they were the same. When you change the bullet seating depth 0.01 the POI will change.

Bill

yoteman
    Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I knew it wouldn't be exact same POI, but I didn't expect it to be completely off the target at 100 yards. I have already put indexing marks on the 308 setup. Will do the same once I zero the 22-250. I will also keep log book to record relative scope changes from one caliber to the other. I know I will still have to rezero every time I swap barrels but I don't mind having an excuse to send a few rounds down the range. I want to add a 6.5 CM to finish off my setup. I would do a 6.5x55 Swede, but I am running a short action and I don't think the Swede is possible in a short action

Basic Member
    You're talking about two completely different cartridges with completely differing trajectories. No way they will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by yoteman View Post
    Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I knew it wouldn't be exact same POI, but I didn't expect it to be completely off the target at 100 yards. I have already put indexing marks on the 308 setup. Will do the same once I zero the 22-250. I will also keep log book to record relative scope changes from one caliber to the other. I know I will still have to rezero every time I swap barrels but I don't mind having an excuse to send a few rounds down the range. I want to add a 6.5 CM to finish off my setup. I would do a 6.5x55 Swede, but I am running a short action and I don't think the Swede is possible in a short action
    Look at the 260 Remington... pretty much the same ballistics as the 6.5x55 but on a short action...

Basic Member
    Only blind luck could put POI close.
    Thread fit of the barrels, curvature of the bore & clocking of the curvature all hold a dominant role on the direction the bore is pointed.
    Clocking Savage barrels requires a second chambering operation once initial headspace is found. A real pita, but can be accomplished to get horizontal better. But probably not worth it unless one of the barrels is out of range with windage adjustment.
    Best bet is dial them in, place your witness marks, record the scope settings and enjoy.
    Good luck on a good project.
    Randu

This weeks winner for digging up old post: Paddy.
    Over the next two weeks you will enjoy summer like weather in your location.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This weeks winner for digging up old post: Paddy.
    Over the next two weeks you will enjoy summer like weather in your location.
    And everyone else gets a “participation” award!

and a cookie

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Only blind luck could put POI close.
    Thread fit of the barrels, curvature of the bore & clocking of the curvature all hold a dominant role on the direction the bore is pointed.
    Clocking Savage barrels requires a second chambering operation once initial headspace is found. A real pita, but can be accomplished to get horizontal better. But probably not worth it unless one of the barrels is out of range with windage adjustment.
    Best bet is dial them in, place your witness marks, record the scope settings and enjoy.
    Good luck on a good project.
    Randu
    I have found that it's much easier to clock the barrel 1st then to ream the chamber.

IMHO Bogboy and Mudpig are the only ones deserving a cookie. I mean with the technical accuracy with relationship to the OP's question and all..........
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I mean with the technical accuracy with relationship to the OP's question and all..........
    Not to mention the OP is not even a registered member anymore which is why he's listed as a "guest".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
    I have found that it's much easier to clock the barrel 1st then to ream the chamber.
    In total agreement. I should have said with take-off barrels and prefits, not brand new barrel builds.
    Sorry

I would rather have 2 rifles, or 3, or 6. Just because.....