Thread: AI no good?

Basic Member

AI no good?

I seem to always be on the lookout for barrels(like most of you) from the classified ads to add to my collection. Is it me or is there an influx of AIed barrels all the sudden? I have never had one, but due to the number of them in the classifieds it seems people that have them must not like them. Any idea if this is correct or just an freak thing? Maybe they have been there all along, and I just started to notice now that I am comfortable with the barrel swap?

I read a list some where about the top 10 and worst 10 AIed chamberings, any one remember seeing some thing like that? I would be interested in reading up on it again.

Re: AI no good?

there junk, don't fall into that trap.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

borg

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    there junk, don't fall into that trap.
    Classic.

Basic Member

With the exception of the 308 family where you dont see a great deal of improvement AIs rock, faster bullets and less brass growth. Some people have trouble feeding them from magazines, but I have found with my 223AI and 22-250AI that as long as you leave the magazine 1 round short of being jammed full they feed fine, but if you stuff that last round in there it drops the rear of the case and the bolt wont pick it up every time.
    My gunsmith is in town this weekend and I will be sending another 22-250 barrel back with him to be rechambered.

Mike

dcloco

Probably get a little flame on this....but.....

A percentage of people don't want to spend a LITTLE time to work loads up in THEIR barrel. An AI is NOT for them.

A percentage of people don't want to spend a LITTLE money of new or 1x fired brass to use in THEIR barrel. An AI is not for them.

A percentage of people don't have good reloading practices. No different to reload than any other round. An AI is not for them.

My 223 AI's are right at 22/250 book velocities while using a 1/3 less powder and considerably less expensive brass.

22/6mm AI can provide up to or just over 4000 fps with a 75 gr AMax.

6.5x55 AI provides almost 3100 fps with 142 gr HPBT's.

222 Mag AI provides 3150 fps with 80 gr AMax. Cheap brass as well - 204 Ruger necked up to 22 caliber.

The other side of your question is....because it is SO easy to change barrels on the Savage/Stevens platform, you will always see more barrels off of and for these rifles than any other.

also cheaper to have made from lightly used factory barrels, as you can pull it off and drop it off with a smith. all you have is machine labor. If you find one you really want to spent the money for a new barrel you can. .30-06 familey are the cheapest to do, with little case expansion, the lee collet die will work on most of them at a minimal cost. the .25s all respond well, many having the most improvement.

If you want to start with a cheap one, find a .223 barrel and have a .222 mag ai, .223ai or a .22-250ai. cheap die set from Lee.
    Midway has some economy barrels also if you want to try new. You could also check with your local smith and see what he has for reamers. http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=29
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

I have no clue of any smith in my area that provides a service like this. The closest I have ever heard of is over 4 hours away. I will have to try at least one, if I like it, maybe more. Thanks!

Uncle Jack

I'm not sure what you would call a "Gunsmith" who didn't do chambering. What does he do beside sell parts?

uj

borg

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    I'm not sure what you would call a "Gunsmith" who didn't do chambering. What does he do beside sell parts?

uj
    Hmm...I think I know the answer to that one, bless my Scandinavian blood. A gunsmith who doesn't do chambering is called a son of a Gunderson.

Basic Member

My 250 AI is closing in on 2506 velocity and is even begining to show signs of pressure!
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

The flip side of this argument could be that With the amount of standard calibers always listed for sale, are they not any good? Definately not the case.

All it is is that people want to try something else, and since it is so easy to do on a Savage you end up seeing more barrels for sale. The fact that some of the barrels currently listed are AI versions is just a coincidence IMO.

I only remember seeing 3 or 4 AI barrels for sale lately though, and I bought one of them. On the flip side, I have sold 3 or 4 standard chambered barrels myself in the last couple months. Not because they werent any good(actually they were just the opposite), but just because I changed my mind and wanted something else.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Uncle Jack

".....A gunsmith who doesn't do chambering is called a son of a Gunderson."

Would that make his name Gundersonson?

uj

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    I have no clue of any smith in my area that provides a service like this. The closest I have ever heard of is over 4 hours away. I will have to try at least one, if I like it, maybe more. Thanks!
    Site sponsor does this kind of work - Devin at Sinarms. Could not be any easier...package the barrel in a tube (protect the ends with something UPS or USPS or FedEx cannot destroy), tape the heck out of the tube (the FULL length)...and send it to Devin.

If you are shooting heavy for caliber bullets, send a dummy round with the bullet seated where YOU want it to be.

borg

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    ".....A gunsmith who doesn't do chambering is called a son of a Gunderson."

Would that make his name Gundersonson?

uj
    Well, if you want to get technical it would be Gunderssonsson, but I was anglicizing for the riders on the short bus.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by BrentWin
    My 250 AI is closing in on 2506 velocity and is even begining to show signs of pressure!
    With the same weight of bullet?

Basic Member

The flip side of this argument could be that With the amount of standard calibers always listed for sale, are they not any good?
    That is a bit of a stretch, no wait....... that is a HHHUUUGGGGEEEEEE stretch! :P

Well, he finishes stocks, beds actions, repairs most firearms, small stuff like that. He doesn't sell any thing as far as I know. Not sure what else he does. I can't believe how many people PAY him to CLEAN their guns!!!! That is nuts!!!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    With the same weight of bullet?
    Yep, 100 gr SGK. I am getting 3100+ FPS and, as I said, I'm not showing any pressure signs yet. Oh and by the way, with 14 grs. less powder.

As to the OP's question, AI barrels are always for sale because the guys who fool with wildcats, myself included, have the attention span of a gnat. As soon as we get a round figured out, it's time to start on something else.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

have the attention span of a gnat.
    HUH, what was that?

dcloco

Typical groups when fireforming 223 AI's. This IS a five shot group at 100 yards. 27.x of Benchmark under 55 gr SP (Varmint Nightmare from Midsouth) and 1x fired BHA - Black Hills (Winchester) brass.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dcloco/223AIFF2AAdime.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dcloco/223AIFFAdime.jpg[/img]

hunt127588

Cons of AI:

- fireform loads are different charges than AI'ed loads
    - dies for AI aren't as prevalent
    - Little AI factory ammo.
    - Feeding can be hit and miss

Pros of AI:

- Have to trim much MUCH less (if any) ---> This is a big plus to me and cuts down on a step in the reloading process
    - Higher velocity per standard loads
    - Can shoot factory ammo.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by hunt127588
    Cons of AI:

- dies for AI aren't as prevalent
    Several people use a Lee brand collet die to neck size and a standard seating die.

Basic Member

My two AI rifles include a 223 & 260....

Only disadvantage is fireforming & cost/selection of dies....

My 12 twist 223 AI spins out a 55 gr Nosler BT moly @ 3500 fps on a

mere charge of 27.5/BM...nearly catching up with the 22-250...

Another advantage is less brass stretch due to the 40* shoulder &

straight walled case....any advanced reloader can easily enjoy the added

benefits of the AI cartridge..especially in the Savage rifle with the simple barrel switch...

Yes I recently sold a 223 AI Pac Nor tube...sold it for a friend that had no real use for the

barrel...we built him a 6XC long range target/varmint rig.....
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !