Thread: Barrel break in day

Barrel break in day

Finally got to break in my new 280AI yesterday. Its a 111 converted to blind mag, 24in Cbi light varmint barrel, rifle basix trigger, choate tactical stock.
    Used Nosler 280AI brass...which is NOT ready to load as claimed on the box! Cases mouths were all dinged up, I wasnt over impressed with that aspect of them.
    Loaded up a range of charges from 56- 57.5gr of IMR 4831 with 140gr Sierra GK, seated at factory length.
    I wasnt pushing anything but velocities ranged in the 2800-2900 range, but it seems my velocities are a bit slower when I shoot these bullets in anything I run them through so....
    Heres a couple pics I snapped...I could only shoot at 50yds where I was at, I think theres some promise in this rifle

There are 7 and 8 shots in these groups

Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Very nice. 280ai is one of those on my someday list. But its so close to my 7rm ballistically I dunno if I'll take the plunge.

Basic Member
    Scooter I bet you would get some good speed with the Alliant Power Pro 4000-MR. They have some info on their site for the standard 280Rem and I hear it meters very well. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...3&cartridge=71

Nice looking setup!
    hope your new barrel is like my last new one and break in is a matter of a couple of rounds.

Thanks guys, also wanna thank everybody for the info I got here. Everybody was a big help.
    Sixone...might as well go for it :-) I will say the recoil is noticeably less and so is the muzzle blast compared to the 7mag.
    Lomewolf, thanks for the info, not sure if I remember seein any of that powder around here but Ill start looking.
    Steelhead, it seemed fo break in pretty easy, I got it on paper and it kept putting all those shots right there, it seems to have broken in pretty easy...
    Thanks again
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Very nice. I am currently waiting on my 280ai barrel to be built. Been waiting since January. You pictures definitely make me anxious for mine to be done.