Thread: magazine upgrade for stagerfeed long action

Basic Member

magazine upgrade for stagerfeed long action

I have read the information in the faq section about the varoius versions of the savage detachable mags and I am still not completely clear on the best way to go for me. I have a long action 7 mag stagger feed 110, and was considering upgrading the stock as well as the magazine, I would probobly do a laminate stock from boyds. As far as the magazine, as I understand it there is no collection of factory parts that will make a detachable mag work on a stagger feed action without doing some engeneering yourself, correct me if I am wrong please... One option I wold consider is just adding a floorplate so I can just dump the rounds out the bottom, I am not sure if savage ever even used this setup. Did they? maybee I could just buy the floorplate assembly? one option would be to go aftermarket but the only setups I have seen are around $300 by the time you buy the bottom metal and the $90 mag, I could trade to a brand new rifle for that much although it did look like a very high quality setup.

Basic Member
    I took a long action stagger feed and converted it to a center feed DBM, with a factory mag and stock. Only required a small amount of metal to be removed from the rear of the mag opening. I used a dremmel and ended up removing a little more than needed, and now cannot go back to the stagger feed. I think if you removed the metal with a file you could get the center feed mag to slide in and still have enough groove left to go back to the blind mag if you wanted.

Mike