Thread: savage 111 pre accutrigger /stock question /bind magazine change.

raven.warsong

savage 111 pre accutrigger /stock question /bind magazine change.

I have a savage 111 pre accutrigger the mag release is on the side. I was hopeing I could change the stock and do some other stuff but I guess the mag release has to go and I have to move to a internal magazine.

I was reading this can only be done on some models. I don't know enough about the rifle to know for sure. I have some pictures I was hoping some one could tell me. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Basic Member
    Lets see if I am understanding you correctly:
    you want to upgrade the stock and you are thinking you need to swap to a blind mag to get the stock you want to fit?

raven.warsong
    Quote Originally Posted by john800 View Post
    Lets see if I am understanding you correctly:
    you want to upgrade the stock and you are thinking you need to swap to a blind mag to get the stock you want to fit?
    yes

Basic Member
    Is yours a centerfeed or staggerfeed? What stock do you have now?
    I have a blind mag stagger feed that i want to convert to a detachable mag or a floorplate. We may be able to use some of each others left over parts

His is of the vintage that had the push button in the side of the stock to release the magazine. There are not a lot of stock options for that configuration. The blind magazine fit inside of the same "box" as the detachable magazine, so the outside box worked with both configurations. Savage also made a blind unhinged floorplate when they found out that a lot of the hinged ones were opening up with recoil. The parts you seek are out there, but scarce. I'd try Fred at SSS and pick his brain some. If anyone had a way to get what you're looking for, he'd be my first bet.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 08-04-2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

raven.warsong
    can I just leave the box magazine in there now. change the stock and load it from the top. or would the existing magazine be too long? Thanks

Basic Member
    Its been years since I had one apart with the old style mag side release so refresh my memory a bit.

If I recall the action is slotted the same to mount both a drop mag latch assembly and a staggered blind mag. If that's the case then all he would need is a long action blind staggered box, follower, follower spring and blind mag stock for LA.

Like I say, its been awhile.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

haliaetus
    I recently went the other way, turning a 60's-vintage blind mag rifle into a detachable mag rifle. The blind "magazine" is basically a magazine body without a floorplate that latches into the housing the same way a detachable mag does, only it is hidden within the stock. My rifle was a wood-stocked version with a metal non-hinged floor plate. Beneath the fixed plate was a stamped metal piece that centralizes the magazine spring. I sourced my parts from Numrich as well as the Savage Part Finder.