Thread: Axis SR Barrel Profile

Basic Member

Axis SR Barrel Profile

In some photos I've seen of the SR, it looks like the barrel bells out at the end. In others, it looks to be a normal taper all the way to the threads. Were there two versions created or are the pictures just deceiving in some? Is the SR barrel a bull barrel, heavy barrel, ...?

I really like the "Precision Carbine" idea and was thinking of trying to get something similar in an Axis. Originally, I was thinking of cutting down and threading an Axis HB to about 18", but now I'm thinking an Axis SR may be close enough.

Here's one from Savage that looks like it has a normal taper all the way to the threads:

But when I see people actually post pictures of their SR, it usually looks like this:

Which I can't stand because it reminds me of this:
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 08-03-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added photos

That does look a little weird. It seems like turning that flare into the barrel was their way to save weight and provide an adequate shoulder for a muzzle device. Still, it's a bit of a baby/bathwater situation.

Looking at the high definition photo on the Savage website, the flare is still present but greatly diminished. I wonder if the official picture is Photoshopped.

Basic Member
    No it's flared, I pulled and sold and Axis SR Barrel. Sporter profile flared at the end with 5/8x24TPI threading.

04silvy
    Mine was definitely flared out like the Second pic. Depending on what brake or flash hider you put on it....it's hardly noticeable. I think the thread protector the send with it makes the taper look more exaggerated that it actually is. Here is a pic of mine.

Basic Member
    For some reason I thought the 223 was like the Savage studio pic at the top (no blunderbuss flaring), and the 308's have the flare... I could be wrong. Would love to find a 308 barrel though!

04silvy
    That could definitely be a possibility...the picture I posted was of a .308. It definitely had that blunderbluss look before I put the brake on