Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best dual purpose scope.

Basic Member

Best dual purpose scope.

Recently purchased a model 11 HH in .308. My question is what would be the best scope for versatility. Would like to hunt whitetail in southeast US and also target shoot at my local club that ranges out to 300 yrds. I don't want to break the bank, I was thinking I Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 but I have never shot out past 100 yrds and I don't know if that is enough magnification.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Nikon BDC with spot on software?

Thanks

My preference is quality glass in the 4-16x range. 4 power is good for close in work and the 16 is just right for seeing 30 caliber bullet placement on paper out to at least 200 yards on paper. My old eyes can't pick up bullet holes in paper at 200 yards anymore with a 3-9, but then again, that's why I have a spotting scope.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

You will have a hard time beating the deal that Doug at CameralandNY is running right now on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...exviper6-20x44
    I just ordered one for my HogHunter 22/250 build. With the 10% off "Doug's Leaving on Vacation 10% Off Store Wide Sale" , the scope and sunshade comes in right at $325 shipped. That sale ends today.
    i just need to figure out which Burris XTR rings to get with the XTR two piece mounts I already have on the rifle.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

LOTS of humans being shot at 1,000+ yards, with a 10x scope. And you don't think 9x is enough to get to 300 yards?!

People can't shoot accurately at that distance because:
    1) they don't know how far 300 yards is/ can't judge distance.
    2) they don't know SHYTE about their ballistics.

Seriously, while it may seem like a large step for you, ANY 308, with ANY bullet can handle that, no sweat. What you need to do is work on YOU. Trigger control, and recoil management, so you can see your own impacts to call corrections. To make it almost like cheating, buy a scope with matching turrets and reticle, in FFP. Why ANY company would mix and match.... Simply retarded. Moa/moa, or Mil/Mil in FFP, so your reticle is always the same size relative to the target. BDC crap works ONLY IF: you believe the bullet company SINGLE(ha!) G1 BC value is always right. It matches your launch speed, and your atmosphere never changes.

If you want mag, buy a PA 4-14X44 FFP. Otherwise it really doesn't matter.
    I regularly shot to a mile with my 308, using a 15x Weaver; not difficult to see at that distance.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Nevermind.

Reading is fundimental.

Basic Member
    Not sure I understand your last post olds442.

Nowhere did I say that you can't hit anything at 200 yards with a 9 power scope. Some people can't read, and others can't process what they read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Nowhere did I say that you can't hit anything at 200 yards with a 9 power scope. Some people can't read, and others can't process what they read.
    No some people can't.
    Since you aren't the OP, I wasn't speaking to you, or your advice.

What I was speaking to, as I'm sure you did read; was the OP wondering if his 3-9x would be enough to get to his shooting ranges 300 yard limit.

Another fundAmental is spelling, but we all make mistakes.
    Last edited by darkker; 08-04-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was pretty sure you had minsinterpreted what I had said. Your post made it unclear just whose comments you were responding to.

and to the OP, skip the Nikon, go straight to the PA 4-14x44FFP. I have two of them and love everything about them except their warranty, which you may never need.

emtrescue6
    The Primary Arms stuff is OK...but in reality you can buy equal quality optics with a lifetime warranty for the same price. I personally like the Nikon Pro-Staff scopes and if 300 yards is your game it will do you as well as any...spend a little more and get the Nikon Pro-Staff 5 or Monarch and get really good optics with a lifetime warranty. I am also a fan of Swift Premier scopes...also in the same price range and as good if not better glass than the Primary Arms but again with a lifetime warranty. Like the others, I have no use for BDC reticles...I have a couple that came on rifles I purchased and most of them sit in a box of spare parts anymore.

Basic Member
    What is the big hang up on BDC reticles? Seems like everyone is against them. Is it because most like to hand load and work up your own ballistic information? So, this would take some of the fun out of shooting and working up loads. Or are they not that accurate using factory loads and the given software?

Just my.02 but if you're hunting southeastern whitetails and shooting 300yards I would keep the low end of your scope magnification manageable. In my opinion a quality 3-9x40 would serve you well. I know here in the woods of Ga. That deer will very often appear at 25-50 yards out of no where. Its no fun shouldering your rifle to see the lens full of brown fur from edge to edge not knowing whether you're looking behind the shoulder or at the rump. Burris has some rebates on the Fullfield 2s right now and they are really good optics. I have several that I have been using for over a decade. I also like their newer lineup the Burris E1. I purchased 3 of them within the last couple of years and they have been very clear with exacting repeatable adjustments and are very good in low light. The ballistic plex reticle is quite useful.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

emtrescue6
    Sleeper99...my big disgust with BDC reticles is the fact that I grew up without them and don't like change...OK, well that is part of it anyway. Honestly, I don't find them (BDC's) to be all that helpful, I know my scopes and my rifles and learned long ago how to judge holdover...I also like a clean reticle without all that extra lines, dots, etc...

Luke45
    clarity is much more important than magnification, i have a 6x24 vortex pst and i rarely turn it past 10x even shooting 600-800 yards.

Burris fulfiled II 4.5x14
    leupold vxI or Vx2 3x9

good extreamly clear scopes for under 300$

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    The Primary Arms stuff is OK...but in reality you can buy equal quality optics with a lifetime warranty for the same price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper99 View Post
    What is the big hang up on BDC reticles?
    For the same $$ there is glass of equal, perhaps better quality. What there is not, is features, magnification proceed equally. The next FFP mil/mil scope in that may range, at that price, with similar glass will cost you some serious frog skins. Some people sleep better at night with a fantastic warrantee, and I won't begrudge them that. But I personally won't pay double the price to buy that warrantee. Chocolate/vanilla.

The BDC reticle problems for me, is an awful large amount of assumptions. First, there is no such thing as only 1 BC(G1) number, that changes with velocity. Next is that it has been well reported that a few companies in particular report rather... Hopefull BC numbers for their bullets. Atmospheric conditions change trajectory, do you only hunt in one place and always have the same conditions? What launch speed do you have?

All those things conspire to have your personal conditions differ from what the scope was calibrated for. Generally speaking can you hit a deer by 200 yards with it? Sure. I just don't like lobbing things in a general direction, I want to know that if I aim for a specific thing, I an hit precisely there.

Take a look at the vortex HS-T.
    I really like them.
    Functional reticle for many uses.

Basic Member
    I can't say what dual purpose is best. However, I can tell you what I put on my HH 308 (and I freakin love it). A Pride Fowler rapid reticle. I understand some peoples aversions to bdc, and their lack of fitting all platforms/cartridges. HOWEVER, the PFI Rapid Reticle is perfect for the Hog Hunter (IMO). Why? Reticle is designed around the 308. The reticle was designed with use of a 20" barrel. The reticle is was plotted with 175 gr and 168 gr ammunition. The scope is very well made, not outrageously priced ($350) and has a 30mm tube, and is a first focal plane so ranging is a snap through all magnifications. The glass is very good. The reticle is busy however, and you do have to study up on which bracket is for 18" targets vs 9". Anyways, maybe not your cup of tea, but I plan to buy another one when funds permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    clarity is much more important than magnification, i have a 6x24 vortex pst and i rarely turn it past 10x even shooting 600-800 yards.

Burris fulfiled II 4.5x14
    leupold vxI or Vx2 3x9

good extreamly clear scopes for under 300$
    I have both the Burris and the Leupold VX-1. The Burris is the better scope by far. I'm a big fan of the Fullfield 2 4.5-14 with the Ballistic Plex reticle for a general-purpose scope. I like the Burris ballistic reticle. It's not real busy, yet helpful for hunting purposes. I've found mine to be accurate enough for hunting and even shooting steel targets with a .308 and 168's out to 500 yds. Of course, actual field verification and practice is essential before firing at live targets. And I'm not advocating shooting at deer at 500 yds. However, getting reasonably accurate hits on steel at various ranges using nothing more than a ballistic reticle is certainly quick and fun.

Basic Member
    OP, NOT a BDC! If you're looking for dual use, pdogs and target, get something with turrets. MOA or MIL doesn't matter. Then if you want to be able to get a second shot in ,you need to add a reticial. This allows you to hold for follow up shots. This choice requires you to use a reticial that is matched to your turrets, such as moa/moa or mil/mil. Something along the lines of a Vortex HS-T. The hash marks need to represent equal measurements. Not some helter skelter randomly placed marks that are supposed to represent some, quoit "100, 200, 300,400" yards. I guess it workes for moment of deer? But not in precession shooting. Guess I could be wrong because I have two BDC scopes. That was before I new better. Oh ya, BDC does work for AR's, but once again thats moment of man, and spray and pray.

Luke45
    Chuck the op stated he's never shot passed 100 yards, no need to confuse him with turrets that's a whole new can of worms!

Basic Member
    I know. I got carried away when he mentioned BDC.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I know. I got carried away when he mentioned BDC.
    Bdcs pretty much confuse everyone because thier values change depending on what magnification , may as well Kentucky windage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper99 View Post
    Recently purchased a model 11 HH in .308. My question is what would be the best scope for versatility. Would like to hunt whitetail in southeast US and also target shoot at my local club that ranges out to 300 yrds. I don't want to break the bank, I was thinking I Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 but I have never shot out past 100 yrds and I don't know if that is enough magnification.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Nikon BDC with spot on software?

Thanks
    For deer hunting the 3x9 would be plenty of scope. It would also work for 100/300 yd target shooting.
    The advantage of say a 4x12 would be it would be easier to see bullet holes at 300 yds at least on a white target.
    I personaly dont like bdc reticles as they appear too large for me. Id sooner a plain cross hair, a duplex, or mildots.
    Consider a step up to the Buckmaster model Nicon with target type knobs. Adding a few clicks of elevation from
    a 100 to a 300 yd zero is elementry. When all is said and done regarding various reticles, that is still the best way to do it.
    Also look at the Redfield battlezone scope. Made by Leupold it can be bought online for under $200. It comes with 2 sets of
    pre programed knobs for both 223 and 308. Of coarse you can still dial as well.

Basic Member
    I recently bought a used Savage with a BDC reticle scope on it, and after very little shooting, I left it with my BIL to sell or trade. What I don't like about it most is, when I sight down the scope, I can't seem to focus on anything but that first circle under the cross hairs. Like mentioned above, too fussy. My shooting is limited to 300yds, so all I need is cross hairs. I am looking for a scope that has a small lighted dot in the middle of the cross hairs! :-))

Basic Member
    I like Leupold VX-3L with a 50mm lens. It has the crescent cut out of the bottom of the scope so it sits lower and your sight picture is much better.
    On another note, if you're not shooting past 300 yards, sight your rifle in to 0 at 200 yards. You will likely only be 1.5 inches high at 100 yards and 7-8 inches low at 300 yards.
    Sighting in at 100 yards makes the drop much greater at the distant ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast