Thread: Wolf gold brass for reloading.

Basic Member

Wolf gold brass for reloading.

Ive shot hundreds of rounds of wolf gold though my AR .223. I would like to get a .223 bolt gun an start learning to reload myself. Would like to know if anyone has reloaded these cases yet an would like to offer any opinions.

Basic Member
    okay, lets try asking a different question, when i begin selecting the brass i want to use, what criteria and qualities do you take into consideration? will a cheaper brass have a thinner wall thickness, or is that generally a standard dimension? how much does the quality of the composition of the brass change between manufacture? im just trying to figure out if i have a bucket of spent casings worth putting the effort into reloading, or would i be better off recycling it and starting with something different.

I am following because I have a ton of it!

Basic Member
    my intent is to start reloading closer to winter. plan to buy a reloading manual or two soon and start reading up. then gather my equipment.

Very nice! I have sbout 3-5k 223 cases, half prepped, half not, and a good few hundred are wolf gold...

Basic Member
    I don't know... Way I figure it, with a bolt gun you aren't likely to shoot any where near as many rounds as you did with the AR and so there isn't necessarily the same need for inexpensive brass. I use Lapua almost exclusively, and, in .223, it isn't all that expensive, in my opinion. I think I have 400 pcs and have only used 1/2 of them in a year and half of shooting. I do anneal them, every three reloads, though. Unless you learn otherwise, I would reload what you have for your AR and get some Lapua for your bolt gun. $60 will cover hundreds ( thousands??) of top of the line re-loads.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-05-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: $60 not $50

Hijack: how do you anneal yours?

Basic Member
    I use a couple propane torches with a jig by Enterprise Services and Tempilaq. The rig is called Anneal Rite. Simple. quick and easy.

grendelguy
    FWIW, I shot a couple boxes of 6.5 grendel Wolf Gold and when I reloaded them there were some issues. I have read that some have got 4-5 reloads on this brass but I had about half of a box blow primers out.

I would maybe load them up mild and keep a couple for fowlers or just plinking stuff. I think better quality brass is gonna be the ticket for repeatable accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by grendelguy View Post
    FWIW, I shot a couple boxes of 6.5 grendel Wolf Gold and when I reloaded them there were some issues. I have read that some have got 4-5 reloads on this brass but I had about half of a box blow primers out.

I would maybe load them up mild and keep a couple for fowlers or just plinking stuff. I think better quality brass is gonna be the ticket for repeatable accuracy.
    I'll add to the "maybe, maybe not" crowd with regard to brass from Prvi Partizan (the actual maker of Wolf Gold, as well as the brass cased Monarch ammo from Academy).

I've spoken with and shot along side guys who've had good luck reloading with PPU brass. Mainly they were loading .303Brit for enfields, or 7.62x54 for Mosins. do not know how may reloads they were getting per batch of brass, esp the enfield shooters and in light of my own experiences.

as to my own luck/experience, I've used PPU in both .303 and in .308. in the case of the .303, that No4Mk1* had a bad barrel (throat) and I sold it after less than 100rds of reloads. as for the .308, Bought 140rd of PPU 175gr "match" to use as cheap break-in fodder, the once-fired brass it turned out to be too soft to use. I was getting ejector marks and blown primers with Start loads of varget and IMR4895.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grendelguy View Post

What primers were you using? You may need to change primers to one that fits a little tighter such as the wolf or tula primers.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Send me some brass and i'll load them and report back
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I have reloaded quite a bit of wolf gold in 22-250 and it is really decent brass. I would sort them by weight if they are way off but for general use it is good to go.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    well i got my reloading press for chritmas, and have reloadad some of the wolf gold brass. Not a lot mind you, but so far it seems to reload okay, only thing ive noticed is that primer pockets are not uniform. some primes seat easily, others not so much. i took my deburring tool to a batch of them. seemed to help just a little. picked up a primer pocket ream yesterday. will report back after some more reloads.

Any updates on the Wolf Gold brass?

Basic Member
    Figured out i got a large primer pocket ream, not a small..... d'oh. Ive got a batch on its 3rd reload. Just been chamfering the primer pocket with my case chamfer/deburr tool. Had a few primers that went in very easy, the rest required moderate force, but they are all still seating pretty well. Im getting minimal stretch out of my Wilson Arms .223 Wylde chamber. Maybe 5 of 20 that need trimmed. Didnt get a chance to actually shoot this 3rd round this weekend, but theyre loaded and waiting for a weather break. This isnt match grade ammo by any means, just test loads to find a bullet/powder combination for a bull barreled AR