Thread: Weekend Shooting After Fitting Boyds Stock

jasta

Weekend Shooting After Fitting Boyds Stock

Hi All

Headed out to a mates place to try out my handloads and Boyds stock after fitting it to the 223. We set water bottles at 100, 200, 250, 300 yards with a gong at 450 yards and sighted in at 193 yards at some wood blocks about the size of a wabbit. With a mix of 50gr Barnes Varmint Grenades, 55gr VMax and 63gr Hornady Match BTHP pills, they were all hitting the wood blocks easy. On to the 300 yard water bottle with the VMax, very little hold over, and was very happy with what feels like a new gun (bottle pictured). Had a try at the 450 yard gong with the Match rounds and as straight as they went I was hitting short or going over target... (Thats the nut behind the buts fault there)

The stock is a great improvement but I still want to pillar and bed the stock as Im not that happy with the fitting with the action to the inletting.

All in all a great way to spend the weekend with mates, testing handloads, having fun.

Cheers

Basic Member
    Wood sure makes it feel and shoot steadier especially off-hand. Sure wish Boyds had a v-bedding block option.

Stocky's has it for remys but not.for the 10/110 stocks.

jasta
    The only problem I have after fitting the stock is the LOP makes the eye relief a bit long. Theres not mucH room left to slide the scope back so I will have to get a EGW rail and see if my Sightron fits.

Basic Member
    Which Boyd's stock is that? I'm looking for something similar but with a little less forearm.

savagetoter
    Great looking rifle you have there. Sounds like it's accuracy isn't too shabby either!

jasta
    Chris its the Prairie Hunter in Pepper and for the money its a good deal.

Thanks savagetoter, as I said still needs a bit of work and its should be better again...... fingers crossed. It is shooting better with the new stock and I think the new loads help too.