Thread: Savage 111 Trophy Hunter Build???

brangus1111

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter Build???

I am looking to build/upgrade my Model 111 Trophy Hunter in 30-06 w/accu-trigger. I am looking for long distance accuracy and like everyone else, im on a budget. I have looked at a ton of stocks, barrels, Optics, etc. My questions literally begin from bottom (stock) up. My model is a centerfeed, drop box mag, with bolt release in trigger guard. Any suggestions on the stock? at this point I think I want to stay synthetic. The stock will also have to have the capability to fit a varmint/bull barrel because that is the next step. I am looking for a heavy barrel to aid in reducing recoil and improving accuracy. Suggestions on brand and twist? Optics will come later, still trying to decide where to go with the optics. Basically would like to stay within $500 for stock and barrel. I appreciate any help and advice.

Thx Brangus

Basic Member
    Check out this thread has a lot of good information on where to purchase aftermarket barrels.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...savage-barrels
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

brangus1111
    Thanks for the forward Rosco. I have looked at the McGowens for a while and just not sure of the best route to take. 26in vs.28in?? 1/10 Vs.1/12 twist?? And Bull Vs. Varmint?? The Bull/Varmint will also depend on the stock i come up with. Which is why its probably best that I start with the right stock. I just want to ensure that I have a plan.

Basic Member
    Don't have a 30-06 personally so I am not going to be a lot of help in that department. Probably the best route to take since you are on a budget would be to contact Jim at Apache Gun Works, typically he will do a standard barrel for around $200.00. In fact, he has a 30-06 barrel available on Ebay right now that may suite your needs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Savag...item2c885bb292

That would leave you around $300.00 for the stock which would get you in a nice Bell and Carlson Medalist or Boyd's Stock.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

brangus1111
    Ive heard an awful lot of great things about Jim. I will definitely give him a call. I am looking for a bull barrel, otherwise that would have worked perfect!

I used a Choate tactical on my 11 trophy hunter build, worked perfectly with DBM bottom metal and trigger guard bolt release.
    That and a Apache, Criterion or Shilen prefit barrel is about $500.

brangus1111
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    I used a Choate tactical on my 11 trophy hunter build, worked perfectly with DBM bottom metal and trigger guard bolt release.
    That and a Apache, Criterion or Shilen prefit barrel is about $500.
    Was this for the DBM? Choate's listing make it unclear whether or not it will fit the DBM.

brangus1111
    I have looked at Choate, B&C, and Hogue and none seem to have a stock that fits a heavy barrel, DBM, Long Action, w/bottom bolt release. What do i do? Or am i missing something here?

If you find a good cheap aftermarket stock for a long action of any kind, let us know. All I know of are B&C medalist, choate, boyd's and the now-discontinued duramax. Pretty sure they are all blind mag only and I am not sure any of them work with trigger guard bolt release.
    Manners will sell you a great stock for 500 bucks. Stockade is about 400 with a long wait.
    Savage long actions are great value guns IMO but the aftermarket stock choices are not great.

Quote Originally Posted by AceRoth View Post
    If you find a good cheap aftermarket stock for a long action of any kind, let us know. All I know of are B&C medalist, choate, boyd's and the now-discontinued duramax. Pretty sure they are all blind mag only and I am not sure any of them work with trigger guard bolt release.
    Manners will sell you a great stock for 500 bucks. Stockade is about 400 with a long wait.
    Savage long actions are great value guns IMO but the aftermarket stock choices are not great.

Am I missing something? Looks like this works with the bottom bolt release and a DBM. Maybe I'm wrong though.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...99481&cat=1215

Quote Originally Posted by brangus1111 View Post
    Was this for the DBM? Choate's listing make it unclear whether or not it will fit the DBM.
    Yes

just got to looking and they don't do a DBM inlet for the long action that I can find.
    That sucks!
    Last edited by Steelhead; 08-03-2014 at 12:04 PM.

brangus1111
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Am I missing something? Looks like this works with the bottom bolt release and a DBM. Maybe I'm wrong though.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...99481&cat=1215
    I think this one will fit, But I don't think it's bedded. Also, it doesnt state what barrel sizes it accepts. Or maybe I missed it. I would really like a drop in, but such is life, I may have to make some customizations. This new model 111 has been out long enough now that I would think that more folks would be building stocks for em. I appreciate all the help so far guys.

brangus1111
    AceRoth, I will absolutely let everyone know what I find and will post pics of the pre and post-build. I found a Hogue through Midway thats is what im looking for but i think they only accept the sporter barrels. Not sure, going to call them tomorrow and find out for sure. Midway is only a couple hours away for me so hopefully they can hook me up and i'll just go get it. :)

Basic Member
    I would suggest giving Jim at Northland Shooters Supply a call. He can help go over various twist and contour options available for your rifle. More information regarding barrel configurations can be found by clicking the below link:

http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/savage

brangus1111
    Quote Originally Posted by CriterionBarrels View Post
    I would suggest giving Jim at Northland Shooters Supply a call. He can help go over various twist and contour options available for your rifle. More information regarding barrel configurations can be found by clicking the below link:

http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/savage
    Thanks for the info bud. Do you know if these are already chambered or do they need smithing?

brangus1111
    I made a decision and solved all my issues. Just traded for a 110 30-06. Got $250 in it. Just decided to keep the 111 for hunting.

In my opinion you may be putting the cart in front of the horse here.
    I have way more often than not achieved outstanding accuracy from a factory Savage with nothing more than load development. You can throw all the money in the world into rifle parts, but in my experiences over the decades it's rare that a custom rifle shooting factory ammunition, will out shoot a decent factory Savage with tuned hand loads. I have several such factory Savages that most would consider hunting rifles that will make very expensive custom rifle owners at the range cuss, kick sand, shut up and some even pack up and leave. The huge difference is my ammo being tuned to the rifle.

If you don't hand load then save all the money you were gonna spend on stocks barrels etc.. and get yourself a starter kit to hand load.
    The Lee anniversary kit and everything you need to get started can be had for less than a new barrel and will be effective on any rifle you have. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-.../dp/B00162RM3E I would also pick up a Lee Deluxe die set and case length gauge for each caliber as well as a copy of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Now except for consumables you're all set for accuracy and shooting more for less money.

If you do hand load then I would recommend that for the 30-06 you try IMR 4350 and 168gr bullets, More specifically the Sierra Game King HPBT over a near max charge(work up to 57gr) with a CCI BR2 primer. This combo of components is an excellent place to start load development for 30-06.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

brangus1111
    Great advise man and I totally agree. Although I do not do hand loads myself, a close friend of mine does it for me. I will definitely forward your suggestions to him. Although, I am actually considering getting my own setup as well. As much as I shoot its only smart (financially) to reload.