Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite coyote caliber

Basic Member

favorite coyote caliber

I'm in the process of building my first savage LA 110 and I'm needing some help deciding on a caliber for coyote hunting? I wanted to get a 22-250 barrel but being that I don't reload I'm concerned about ammo.....called three local sporting good and all 3 have 22-250 on backorder so I'm probably going with another more popular caliber.....thinking 204 ruger. Any suggestion would be appreciated. My current caliber is 270.

Basic Member
    5.56mm/.223 is readily available and whacks the hell out of a Yote...243/243AI ain't bad neither...

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    5.56mm/.223 is readily available and whacks the hell out of a Yote...243/243AI ain't bad neither...
    What he said!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Worth quoting again.

I mainly use my AR on em but am waiting for a chance to try out my 260 project rifle on em.

Basic Member
    What range do you expect to shoot them at? 243 is far more effective at the over 200yd distances. That being said 22-250 is a great choice, 204 not so much.

Basic Member
    You could get a local gunsmith or guru to work up some 90 110gr 270 loads.

Basic Member
    yeah I thought about just using the 270 but I wanted to get a heavy barrel so I figured I would just change calibers and have 2 rifles. Everybody seems to agree that 22-250 is an excellent coyote caliber so I might just start searching for reloading stuff to load my own 22-250 shells because just running out and buying ammo is a thing of the past. I've got a few weeks to decide....scope eye is going to hook me up with a barrel.

Basic Member
    Sweet. Just stay away from his max load data. If you doen't at least keep a mallet handy.

Deano's load data is good....................once.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    My first build was a LA Stevens that Fred did a T&T job on. I added a Boyd's thumb hole varminter and the SSS trigger. The gun was a factory 270. I had been a long fan of the 6 mm Rem but always wanted a slower twist 244 as a true varminter. I ordered a 1:12 barrel from Shilen and had it chambered to a 6mm Rem. I run the 75 VMax at 3600 fps with the 28" barrel. It has served me well in reducing the coyote population in my area. I have more than a dozen barrels now and 5 difference actions, but one of them will always be a 244. There is some good 6mm varmint factory ammo, but I reload everything some can't speak for it or the availability. I would not have a problem making a slow twist 243 as a varmint rig. Luck in your choice, Tim

Basic Member
    If I went with a slow twist say 1:9 barrel in 243 caliber would I have to change the bolt head and the follower? My gun is also factory LA 270.

Dale a 9 twist 243 is anything but a slow twist, they come from the factory in 9.25, and no bolt head swap and factory ammo should be easy to get, and don't listen any rumors that I may or may not have exceeded recommended load data, as a pillar of they savage community I have to set an example and follow all reloading guidelines and maximum chamber pressures,

Dean

WOW what a bunch of horse manure that was.LOL
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I like the 243 as well., but here in my state you cant use one year round. During any big game hunt you can only use up to a 22 cal. so I went with the 22-250 that shoots the 80 grain VLD. That way I still have 243 power but I complying with the STUPID law. Sorry got a little off track there.....

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    Well Dean you know what I need as far as a varmint gun goes so when you get barrels just let know and we'll decide on a caliber. I'm checking into 22-250 reloading stuff now.

sav250
    6mm Rem
    .250 Savage
    .257 Roberts
    .25-06
    .257 Wby
    .264 Winchester! All my favorite calibers for coyotes.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    WOW what a bunch of horse manure that was.LOL
    Just pokin fun your way, Dean. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings :)

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    ...and don't listen any rumors that I may or may not have exceeded recommended load data, as a pillar of they savage community I have to set an example and follow all reloading guidelines and maximum chamber pressures,

Dean

Somebody's gonna have to get a shovel.
    It just got real deep in here...
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Somebody's gonna have to get a shovel.
    It just got real deep in here...
    What are you trying to say, some forum members may not be buying my wheelbarrow full of malarkey.LOL

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Bearguide444
    I use a 257 Roberts for nostalgia sake it was my grandfathers Winchester model 70

With a .270 in hand and wanting to stay with factory ammo, much of our fun with gratuitous suggestions is stolen!

The .270 will work fine for coyotes unless the recoil and noise with the more frequent shooting makes ears and shoulders sore.

The .243 is not bad.

Assuming you shoot 130 grain bullets in the .270, an excellent choice would be 60 - 70 grain bullets in the .223 with similar action and same make and model scope. Sight both rifles into the same point of impact at 300 yards and you will have the same sight pictures out to at least that far. (for more see http://shootersnotes.com/articles/paired-rifles/)

Basic Member
    I thought about just sticking with the 270 for coyote hunting but I love a project and having multiple calibers on one frame is exciting. I wanted the 22-250 bad but availability of factory ammo has me a little leery but I'm trying to find a used reloading press now because I also have 300 savage model 99 takedown that is also tough finding ammo for so if I start reloading I can buy dies and then it opens up all kind of possibilities. Right now for the 110 build it's probably down to either 22-250 or 243....I've had a couple .223 mini 14's and wasn't to impressed with those. I was thinking 204 ruger but nobody seems to prefer that caliber for coyotes so I'll listen to the ones that do a ton more shooting than I get to.

I don't know what the ammo availability is, but if your local gun shops carry 220 swift, I could put up a good argument that it is not only a favorite coyote caliber, it just might be they ultimate coyote caliber, take a look to see if they carry some, if they do case closed.

Dean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dale1386 View Post
    I thought about just sticking with the 270 for coyote hunting but I love a project and having multiple calibers on one frame is exciting. I wanted the 22-250 bad but availability of factory ammo has me a little leery but I'm trying to find a used reloading press now because I also have 300 savage model 99 takedown that is also tough finding ammo for so if I start reloading I can buy dies and then it opens up all kind of possibilities. Right now for the 110 build it's probably down to either 22-250 or 243....I've had a couple .223 mini 14's and wasn't to impressed with those. I was thinking 204 ruger but nobody seems to prefer that caliber for coyotes so I'll listen to the ones that do a ton more shooting than I get to.
    Get a barrel chambered in 243AI and shoot some 70-90 grain...wont be sorry...ammo is readily available and you get fire formed brass to boot...factory 243 is still very accurate too...

Toyoda
    25 / 06.

jb6.5
    I like what ever gun I have when I see one. Lol. But my ole 22 250 is hard to beat, 223 coming in at a close second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast