Thread: Savage F Class or 12 Bench Rest

cranebird

Savage F Class or 12 Bench Rest

I'm looking at the possibility of either one. I was thinking of buying a dual port receiver and going that route but I don't think I could build it cheaper than buying the Savage models. I like the F Class model in particular, will be going with a 6mmBR caliber in whatever I decide.I would like to hear from those who has them or an opinion, Thanks in advance.
    Ivan

6br is great, I love them. Also a 6BRX or 6 Dasher is a little bit better.

Personally I love the 6BRX. I don't think you will go wrong with a 6mm.

Dennis

Cat 64
    http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06d7053e.jpg

Price wise you can build one very close to buying one. However you can choose the action you like (I.e. Dual Port, RBLP) a better barrel, a better recoil lug and barrel nut. I build mine not long ago in a 6 mm BR. Excellent round and rifle. See attached picture.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat 64 View Post
    http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06d7053e.jpg

Price wise you can build one very close to buying one. However you can choose the action you like (I.e. Dual Port, RBLP) a better barrel, a better recoil lug and barrel nut. I build mine not long ago in a 6 mm BR. Excellent round and rifle. See attached picture.
    $1251.00 is what it will cost delivered to my local gun shop with the added $30 transfer fee included. It is going to be very difficult to beat that price.

Cat 64
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    $1251.00 is what it will cost delivered to my local gun shop with the added $30 transfer fee included. It is going to be very difficult to beat that price.
    I paid: $540 action, &320 barrel, $320 stock, $55 recoil lug and barrel nut. $1235. Shipping was $25. Grand total $ $1260 plus the benefits I wrote above.

The main thing you would gain from doing it yourself would be a much higher quality barrel. Much less fouling, and probably more accurate. Also as Cat64 pointed out, the choice of stocks out there is great. Many good stocks available for less than $300. Plus there's always the intangibles, like the satisfaction of building it yourself, and having a somewhat unique rifle. Yes, it would cost a small bit more, maybe, but the benefits outweigh the added costs. A Criterion barrel is a work of art, much nicer than a factory barrel. I don't think you'd regret it. Do you already have barrel-swapping tools?

cranebird
    I will have the barrel swapping tools this week but I do not wish to mess up with a project like this. I am going to look at a Farley black widow rifle this coming Tuesday, it has the right bolt,left feed action, all ready to go, all I'll need is a arbor press for the competition dies.

cranebird
    I will have the barrel swapping tools this week but I do not wish to mess up with a project like this. I am going to look at a Farley black widow rifle this coming Tuesday, it has the right bolt,left feed action, all ready to go, all I'll need is a arbor press for the competition dies.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    The main thing you would gain from doing it yourself would be a much higher quality barrel. Much less fouling, and probably more accurate. Also as Cat64 pointed out, the choice of stocks out there is great. Many good stocks available for less than $300. Plus there's always the intangibles, like the satisfaction of building it yourself, and having a somewhat unique rifle. Yes, it would cost a small bit more, maybe, but the benefits outweigh the added costs. A Criterion barrel is a work of art, much nicer than a factory barrel. I don't think you'd regret it. Do you already have barrel-swapping tools?
    I really hate the thought of waiting for the barrel. Absolutely hate it ! I cannot source the dual port receiver that I was wanting. I don't see that happening anytime soon but I am wanting to stick with Savage or else I would have bought the F class Remington I just passed up which was a smoking deal and it was all ready to shoot, no waiting for a barrel or wonder whether it will shoot well. I was suppose to look at the Farley tomorrow but knowing that it is not what I want so I need to call them and tell them I am not coming to look at it. Did I tell you that I absolutely hate the thought of having to wait for a barrel ?I might better look frequently at Apache Jim's site and buy one he has already made and go from there...

Cat 64
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I really hate the thought of waiting for the barrel. Absolutely hate it ! I cannot source the dual port receiver that I was wanting. I don't see that happening anytime soon but I am wanting to stick with Savage or else I would have bought the F class Remington I just passed up which was a smoking deal and it was all ready to shoot, no waiting for a barrel or wonder whether it will shoot well. I was suppose to look at the Farley tomorrow but knowing that it is not what I want so I need to call them and tell them I am not coming to look at it. Did I tell you that I absolutely hate the thought of having to wait for a barrel ?I might better look frequently at Apache Jim's site and buy one he has already made and go from there...
    Jim Briggs from Northland Shooters Supply is your best frined here. I worked with him extensively. Got from him two actions and 4 barrrels most of which he had in stock. He is excellent to deal with....customer service and information wise. I understand your thinking about not wanting to wait. I hate that feeling. But it appears you have your mind set already. All the best to you. Savage F Class rifles are shooters.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat 64 View Post
    Jim Briggs from Northland Shooters Supply is your best frined here. I worked with him extensively. Got from him two actions and 4 barrrels most of which he had in stock. He is excellent to deal with....customer service and information wise. I understand your thinking about not wanting to wait. I hate that feeling. But it appears you have your mind set already. All the best to you. Savage F Class rifles are shooters.
    I remembered where I seen a 6 BR barrel, MCGowen, varmint contour, am going to talk with the ol' battle axe when she gets home since I am not currently able to go back to work yet...But no worries of waiting for a barrel. Boots already sent me to Jim weeks ago when looking for a source for the dual port receiver but I want to get all of my ducks in a row before I actually bother him. What stock did you go with ?

Cat 64
    The one in the picture above. It is the original stock that Savage sells with their factory FClass model. I promise you if you have a little mechanical aptitude learning this skill is not very complex. It requires patience and carefulness but is very doable. Jim will walk you through all the installation process. I got two target actions right bolt and left port which I simply love. When I first took this road I called Jim asking for a dual port but after a few minutest align to him I realized I really wanted the left port.

N4EDT
    I am in the process of building a 600 to 1000 yard gun based on a model 12 left port right bolt single shot. 500 for the action, 325 for the stock, 325 for the barrel and 175 for chambering. 1300 total. The rifle will be chambered in 6.5x47 and have a first class cut rifle stainless steel barrel. The big difference is the quality of the barrel.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by N4EDT View Post
    I am in the process of building a 600 to 1000 yard gun based on a model 12 left port right bolt single shot. 500 for the action, 325 for the stock, 325 for the barrel and 175 for chambering. 1300 total. The rifle will be chambered in 6.5x47 and have a first class cut rifle stainless steel barrel. The big difference is the quality of the barrel.
    It sounds great. What sort of rifle scope are you planning on using ?