I am new to reloading.
11/111 trophy hunter in .308
Only done a few batches and shot them to determine best powder amount with given bullet. I am confident that this load is safe and not approaching unsafe chamber pressures. Now that I have found what I believe to be my best load, I want to start experimenting with coal for better accuracy.

To this point, I have been seating the bullets at the recommended coal (2.735) for the bullet I am using from the Hornady book. I have also determined the maximum coal (to the lands) on my rifle. (I used the Hornady COAL gage and I have a comparator with the proper .308 fitting for measuring from the o-give).

Here is where the confusion sets in. I have read posts that say to start anywhere from right on the lands to.020 off the lands and back off in small increments looking for best grouping. This sounds dangerous to me as from what I have learned thus far, at or near maximum coal for my gun would produce the highest pressure.

Keep in mind the difference from the recommended coal from the hornady book (2.735), where I have been doing load development, to the maximum coal for my gun is over a .115 increase. This seems like quite a bit of distance.

I have also read an equal number of posts that say to start way back at my Hornady recommended coal (2.735) and work my way forward in .010 incriments watching carefully for excessive pressure signs until I find the best grouping. This seems to me the safer way to go.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.