Thread: Choate tactical stock and AICS bottom metal

Sodoc388

Choate tactical stock and AICS bottom metal

Just ordered a choate tactical with detachable mag inletting. Choate says this stock is inletted like the accustock, Aics says their bottom metal (polymer) is a drop in unit. Has anyone installed an AICS detachable mag housing in a choate tactical stock. Saw this mag well up on pacific tool website.

Curious as to the responses.
    I have a Choate tactical and have the PTG bottom metal on order.
    Everything I could find on it is it will fit.

Basic Member
    Ever figure this out anyone? I have the choate tactical stock and the ptg bottom metal. It wasn't even close to fitting in the savage detachable mag inletting. After much work I got it installed but it won't feed correctly and the mag is sloppy up and down in the mag well. If I push the mag up with my hand while feeding then it works.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
    Last edited by redman; 11-06-2016 at 01:37 PM.

I had to do a bit of fitting to get PTG bottom metal into the Choate.
    It wasn't too bad to do.
    Once in it was GTG and fed rounds better than most any savage I've messed with.

stabwound
    Thanks for putting up the picture. I have the PTG trigger guard assembly as well and wanted to know if it would work well with the Choate Tactical. I had to dremel a little out of the factory stock to get it to work so I figured the Choate would be similar. Do you mind sharing the model number of the CHoate you purchased? I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jeremy

theroblong
    Built one of these with CDI bottom metal, but I had CDI do the inletting, so it was spot on! In other news - use some bed liner or textured outdoor Rustoleum on the stock, you'll love the texture improvement #Protip

Basic Member
    Just to update:

I took more out of the inletting and got the ptg metal to fit and feed. What a pain I'm the ass though. I ended up bedding it in the stock because unless you have a mill and a lot of time on your hands you're not going to get it perfect with a dremel or similar tools.

My review of ptg bottom metal:

1. It's not going to drop into a regular savage inletting. Possibly it was made to drop into the stock savages that have the higher end bottom metal?

2. Prepare to do a lot of work to your rifle. Is it a lot of inletting? No, but with a dremel it is. If you want good results I would plan for 3-4 hrs. I consider myself a very capable do it yourselfer and about an hour into this project I was cussing. Lol

3. How was the finiche project? I love it. This is a very beefy chunk of aluminum. I think it will add a lot to the rigidity of the action. I like the mag release too.

4. Would I buy it again? Mmmaybe. I would strongly consider sending the stock in to have it cnc inletted if I did.