Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 280 Ackley Improved anyone?

Basic Member

Very nice build JP. Mine is going the total opposite with a synthetic stock that I can beat up if need be. I am curious as to what stock you used. I decided to leave the barrel SS for now but you got me thinking I may just have to coat it like yours.

The big difference for me was recoil and how much I hate it so I decided to install a Vais Brake.
    Last edited by Rooster 50; 05-13-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Team Savage
    It is a Savage 111 Light Weight Hunter (LWH) stock. I purchased a Savage 111 LWH new with a 20" 6.5x284 barrel. I sold the factory barrel as a new take off. I replaced the factory recoil lug with a SSS competition recoil lug, bedded the action and recoil lug. Then applied a satin black Gun-Kote finish to match everything up. Light weight rifles and recoil go hand-in-hand. So she kicks like a mule. The stock is too pretty to bang around in the woods. But I discovered the Savage LWH action will also fit a Savage LA CF stock since the bottom half dimensions of the LWH action are the same as those of a standard Savage CF action. I have a light (32 oz) Stockade Hunter LA stock to use for when I plan to bang around in the woods. It adds 8 oz of additional weight to the barreled action pictured above for a total scoped rifle weight of 7 lbs, 15 oz.

It should be noted for those condisering buying a Savage LWH action for a light weight build that the weight difference between a bare Savage LWH action and the bare Savage standard action is only about 1.5 oz. Most of the LWH rifle weight savings come from the use of composite bottom parts, a 20" FW contour barrel, and modified compact walnut stock.
    Last edited by jpdown; 06-13-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Basic Member
    Have you taken yours to the range yet? I am looking at Sat if it doesn't' rain all weekend.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Team Savage
    I've got about 50 rounds down the barrel with H4831SC and IMR7828SSC, 150gr Ballistic Tips and 160gr Partitions. Worked up loads using the Nosler 280 Ackley Improved data and max loads where too hot for my rifle with Nosler 280 AI brass and CCI LR primers. I haven't found a load I am satisfied with yet. I'm wondering if I should be using a faster powder with this 23", 9-twist barrel?
    Last edited by jpdown; 06-13-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Keep us posted on your results, I've toyed with the idea of buying one but my Criterion 280AI should be here in a few weeks. Ive never loaded for it (just waiting on my barrel) but from all Ive read on the data you should be right on with powder selection. Seems like most of the hunting rifles I've seen data for were using 24in barrels.
    This is a lil off topic of the thread but the Gun-kote looks really good! How much trouble is it to work with or apply?
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Anyone with a 24" 9 twist barrel in 280AI got some powder, bullet and load advice they can share? I'm using Nosler 280 AI brass, and CCI primers. Thanks.
    A 140, R22 and a Fed 210. Start at 60-61 grains.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Team Savage
    The bake on gun finishes like GunKote are easy to apply if you have access to a small air compressor and cheap hobby air brush. But to get a finish that won't come off, I remove the bluing with white vinegar, clean with acetone and use a cheap Harbor Freight sand blaster and 120 grit aluminum oxide to blast the metal surface for a good foundation. Clean again with acetone. Make sure all oil is removed and don't handle with bare skin from this point forward. I tie a thin piece of hobby wire to each part and clean once more with acetone and hang to dry. Hold by the wire to air brush on coatings. I first air brush on K-Phos to prime the metal surface. Then air brush on multiple light coats of GunKote until I have complete coverage of the part. Hang in the oven and bake at the temperature and time recommended. Once it is baked on, it is not coming off unless you sand blast it off. If you are going to do just one gun, then it is more cost effective to just have it done by someone who offers the service. But I like the even, tough, durable, chemical and weather resistant finish better than bluing and ended up finishing several rifles and shotguns that were not stainless steel.
    Last edited by jpdown; 06-13-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks for the info!...that doesnt sound bad at all, I can understand sending it off if theres only 1 gun or something like that. I really like the diy route on just about everything. I dont know that I would go this route in the near future but its a possibility down the road. I really like the bake on type finishes. I personally think the colors (camo or solid) really cap off a custom rifle.
    Thanks again
    Scooter
    Last edited by scooterf79; 05-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Anyone determined if these Sportman's Guide barrels have the traditional or the SAAMI chamber?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmurray View Post
    Anyone determined if these Sportman's Guide barrels have the traditional or the SAAMI chamber?

I think someone said they're the traditional (Correct ) Improved.

Last post....http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...es-rent-or-buy
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Shot some fire forming loads thru mine today. Approx 1.25 in. with some 120fr ballistic tips. Will get serious next week when I get another 20 cases fireformed. Love that vais muzzlebrake. I can follow my shot at 100 with it.

Team Savage
    Since I bought one, I measure a piece of Nosler 280 AI brass that had been fired in my rifle. Based on the cartridge specifications shown on the Nosler load data web page, I believe it is a SAAMI chamber, not traditional.

Basic Member
    Since I bought one, I measure a piece of Nosler 280 AI brass that had been fired in my rifle. Based on the cartridge specifications shown on the Nosler load data web page, I believe it is a SAAMI chamber, not traditional.
    Yeah, you're right. I was think'n just the opposite.

Bill

While doing my research about the different 280 AIs, I read where some said its the same, most said not etc......Maybe this is just my opinion but dont ya think SG should be giving a little more detail concerning this barrel (granted if youre putting on a barrel MOST of us have the wherewithal to make sure or at least safely check the chamber). It could be a tricky situation ya know. However, my opinion would be that its the SAAMI version. Wouldnt it have been odd to have mass produced a wildcat cartridge when theres a standard version available? Just my 2 cents......hope I at least made sense
    Scooter

Basic Member
    What dies will work with this barrel?

Team Savage
    I use a 280 Lee collet and seating die set to neck size and seat the bullet. If you go this route, you will also need a Redding Body Die 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder to bump back the case shoulder when necessary. Otherwise, you need a 280 Ackley Improved 40-degree shoulder die set.
    Last edited by jpdown; 05-31-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Basic Member
    I use a 280 Lee collet and seating die set to neck size and seat the bullet. If you go this route, you will also need a Redding Body Die 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder to bump back the case shoulder when necessary. Otherwise, you need a 280 Ackley Improved 40-degree shoulder die set.
    Are most of the dies I see on Midway USA SAAMI dies?

Rucker, most of them are from best I can tell, I just got my set of redding 280AI dies in this week from Midway. I got on reddings site and made sure of the correct part number just to be safe. I checked on the rcbs dies with rcbs website a while back, and the part numbers matched as well for the SAAMI version. I would recommend doing that just to be safe. I dont have the part numbers handy to give you a reference.
    Scooter

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    Are most of the dies I see on Midway USA SAAMI dies?
    There are a few with 30-Degree shoulder. As long as you get 280 Ackley Improved 40-degree shoulder dies they will be to SAAMI specs.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info, gents. How would this barrel compare to an ER Shaw for a pure lightweight hunting rig, from antelope to elk? I just picked up a donor .30-06 for $250 and want to get something build before October. The Gunshack varmint barrels seem a bit heavy for this application, and I've got a .308 to play long range shooter with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    Thanks for the info, gents. How would this barrel compare to an ER Shaw for a pure lightweight hunting rig, from antelope to elk? I just picked up a donor .30-06 for $250 and want to get something build before October. The Gunshack varmint barrels seem a bit heavy for this application, and I've got a .308 to play long range shooter with.

That's exactly what I did. Used a Stevens 30-06 for a donor. Had my gunsmith install a used Vais on it. The Vais BTW was not the microbrake that this barrel would call for but a much larger brake that he turned down on the rear to match my barrel. The recoil reduction is amazing and it's not that loud. I will post a picture soon as I get the barrel coated and I finish bedding it.

Team Savage
    As noted above, it is a 23" barrel that weights 2 lbs and has a LW/thin contour. For comparison a 22" Savage factory sporter barrel weights about 2 lbs, 6 oz. The only ER Shaw Savage Pre-fit barrel I've owned was 24" and had a heavy sporter/magnum contour. If I remember correctly it weighed around 2 lbs, 8 oz. If your trying to build a light weight hunting rifle, then this barrel is about as light as it is going to get given its length. It heats up quickly, so three shot strings are about the limit before groups open up. I'm impressed with the barrel and it will shoot sub 1" groups. So far, I've had the best results with IMR 7828 and Hornady 154 gr SST bullets.
    Last edited by jpdown; 06-01-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Team Savage
    Range Report:

I finally finish working up my hunting load for this 280 AI, 23", #2 contour, 9 twist barrel. Powder availability is a problem right now around here. But of the two I had on the shelf, this barrel prefers IMR 7828 over H4831 with 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, 160 gr Nosler Partitions and 154 gr Hornady SST bullets. I've settled on the following hunting load since it consistently shoots 0.525" - 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. Groups start to open up after 3 shots due to the thin contour. Start lower and work up at your own risk. I was never able to reach Nosler load data max before running into pressure signs and this load is over Hogdon's 280 AI load data max.

60.5 gr IMR 7828, 2880 FPS
    S Dev. = 15
    Hornady 154 gr SST Bullets,
    Nosler 280 AI Brass, CCI 200 LR
    Seated 0.010" off Lands
    COAL = 3.268"

At 2880 fps, this barrel and load is about 200 fps slower than what I am getting with 64.5 gr of IMR 7828 in a Savage 7mmRM 24", factory sporter with 160 gr Barnes TSX, Fed 215 Mag primers and Winchester brass. Overall, I am very satisfied with this barrel's performance on my Savage 111 LWH 280 AI build pictured above. Its not a match grade barrel, but lot better barrel than I expected for $107 with shipping cost.
    Last edited by jpdown; 06-13-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Basic Member
    I picked up one of these also.
    It is exactly the weight jp described. It's light although for a lighter, fast handling rifle it fills the bill.
    Accuracy, while not match is fine for a hunting rifle.
    All in all it is so far a good deal for the money.
    These were 3 the other evening with the barrel mounted up. (hunting rifle, remember?) While I know not to some of your accuracy standards, it's pretty good for the 11th, 12th and 13th shots and should still allow some more workup.
    Load is 64 gr MRP, CCI 200, Nosler brass, 150 gr Nosler Partition, 100 yds, coal 3.205

Dewey

Basic Member
    That's weird. Mine shoots the same group with 140gr Ballistic tips. First two touching and the third out a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast