Thread: Barns 50gr varmit granades??

goblin141

Barns 50gr varmit granades??

I am working in a condor no-lead hunting area, lots of coyotes, pigs and a mountain lion. I will be going home next weekend to load some 09/08 lc cases with Varget. Any experience reloading these for yotes???

phantom

Re: Barns 50gr varmit granades??

I sure hope you have better luck with them than I did/do !! I bought a box a year ago and tried them in my 22-250, wouldn't shoot into a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yds. Still had the box and tried them in both of my .223's this weekend and same thing, just not accurate . . so bad that I didn't even pull the targets, left them there . . !! It seems that they are long for the weight, too much surface area for the 1:9 twist barrel that I have on both rifles. A friend gave me some 55 gr. HP bullets that he got in bulk and I loaded some of them and gave them a try also . . same results. The standard load for the .223 is 25.5 Varget 55 gr. V-Max . . both of them shoot into one hole with it . . so I stay with that load. It sounds like you live in the PROC, Peoples Republic Of California . . . Too bad - I'm sorry !! I escaped 10 years ago . . don't miss it at all . . . ;D ;D ;D

helotaxi

I loaded some up for my 12FV and it hated them, but it is really picky about ammo. 5" groups at 100yd is about what I was getting. Gave up on them in the Savage, but one of my AR carbines put the same loads sub MOA. Both barrels 1:9 twist.

phantom

I may give them a try in the AR platform, may as well - I still have about 1/2 a box of them. It is a 1:9 twist also, it will be worth a try to use them up if nothing else. My original intent was to use them in the 22-250 as an all around bullet, but it just won't shoot them at all with any accuracy. You are seeing a 5" group, that is about what I was getting with them also, I just expected better out of them. . . too bad it is really supposed to be a good bullet. I really fell sorry for the people that are down to that for a bullet if that is all it will do.

Quickshot

I went to the VGs mainly to avoid ricochette. Mod.12 BVSS & Mod 12 in a Choate stock both 1-9. 27.0 gr. Var. for 36gr. and 26.0 for 50 gr. The 36s shoot better than the 50s, however both are satisfactory for MOG,[ minute of groundhog], although not as accurate as with 60gr. Bergers. I feel I can sacrifice a little on the moa to be a bit safer. When it comes to punching paper then back to the Bergers. Would not hesitate to put either one on a short range coyote. Quick

helotaxi

You've got other options in "condor country" [ptooey] than the VGs now. The new Hornady and Nosler lead free varmint bullets are out now and might prove a better option in the .224 bores. My .243 puts 4 of the 62gn VGs in a single hole and it hits like a freight train out to 400yds so I'm not totally giving up on them and I'll tweak the load a bit more for my AR. It's a real shooter with most everything unlike my 12FV which so far only likes 75gn Hornady HPBT match bullets (but it REALLY likes them).