Thread: belding squirrels in Northern Calif.

borrego

belding squirrels in Northern Calif.

Have gone out 4 times and shot over 3,000 rounds. Hunting has been great savage in Mach 2 is a great round and a laser out to 150 yards

goblin141

Re: belding squirrels in Northern Calif.

Sounds like you are shooting a 93 17hmr-2. Did you go to the Alturas area? My oldest son and I went to that area on a drive through, beautiful area, pines to oaks to farms to desert.

phantom

What is a Belding Squirrels ? Don't recall ever seeing one in the state of California . . are they Ground Squirrels or similar or a cousin to them ? Those I have seen ! We used to shoot Ground Squirrels by the hundreds north of Bakersfield, but the state is getting to where you can't use lead bullets anymore and that is kind of going away from what I hear from friends out there . . .

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    What is a Belding Squirrels ? Don't recall ever seeing one in the state of California . . are they Ground Squirrels or similar or a cousin to them ? Those I have seen ! We used to shoot Ground Squirrels by the hundreds north of Bakersfield, but the state is getting to where you can't use lead bullets anymore and that is kind of going away from what I hear from friends out there . . .
    Ground rat.....about 1/4-1/3 the size of a p-dog.
    I shoot on a pals ranch when out there. In March 2 of us removed 4587 in a weeks shooting. 8:30 amto 6pm everyday. To say its a blast is an understatement!

I also used to live in Bakersfield also, we shot up the road towards Lake Is. about 20 miles out of town....tons of big ground squirrels up there in the hills....at least they were in the late 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belding's_ground_squirrel

phantom

5spd, OK we are on the same page . . I preceded you by 3 decades shooting them though . . :) I used to live at Lake Is. and my HS ring is Kern Valley High . . give you any indication of my relationship with the dogs ? ;D I have shot bricks of .22's at them, got my teeth cut on them as a matter of fact. Now I prefer Prairie Dogs at longer ranges . . but given the chance the ole 880SQ will come out and go after them again . . We used to go up into the Dome Wilderness area along the South Fork of the Kern Rvr. and spend the day fishing and the morning and afternoon shooting them . . Those were the days, before the Libs took over a Beautiful State . . :-\