Thread: LSS chassis on a Savage .223

Basic Member

LSS chassis on a Savage .223

The rifle is a 20" .223 Hog Hunter that I reamed out to .223AI and so far I like it. Figured I might buy a Criterion in an 8 twist eventually, but this barrel is fine for forming brass at least.
    I decided to try out one of the LSS chassis for the latest Savage rifle I acquired. It takes any AR collapsible butt stock and grip. There is an adapter available to run the fixed stock if desired. Stock is nicely machined and coated. This one is FDE, but black and OD green are available. Rifle is Duracoated OD green. Cartridges feed perfectly from the 10 round AI mag. The front hole is an oval and comes with an insert to turn around for the different hole spacing on the Savage short actions. I need to get the 3/4" cheek piece for the stock and it should be just right. Also adding a rubber recoil pad. I was concerned about having the bipod so far back, but it works nicely as it is. I have an action with a bull barrel I want to drop in and see how it balances out, but I'm not expecting it to be ideal. I paid $400 delivered, so a pretty fair deal in my mind considering what bottom metal would cost to add to an existing stock.

Did you personally punch it out to Ackley, or have somebody do it for ya?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Did you personally punch it out to Ackley, or have somebody do it for ya?
    I did it myself. I bought a lathe a couple years ago and turned it into a new hobby. I trimmed 1/8" off the back of the barrel and then reamed it to be AI. Since I have the reamer I'm also building an AR15 barrel in .223AI. We'll see how that works in the next week or so.

Basic Member
    Rifle looks nice. I've been on the fence about buying MDT chassis. I don't like how short the forend is considering the price. I can get XLR completed chassis for $200 more and it would include stock assembly.

I think the LSS would be great if I end up converting my Stevens 200 to another 300BO as I have on my Axis.