Thread: Model 12 advice needed

luvall

Model 12 advice needed

Seriously looking at a Model 12 (308) as a starter precision shooter. Once or twice a year I may shoot out to 500 yards, but my local ranges max out at 100 and 200 yards. I can't hunt with this gun (in Indiana) so it will be a range & paper toy only. I am very interested in the Model 12 low profile/single shot. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, how would the model 10 differ for these same desires? I'm not interested in getting a $1,000.00+ starter gun.

If you're just looking to shoot paper, with a precision shooter without going whole hog, check out the Hog Hunter. It might not be as pretty as the 12, but will shoot just as well. I just picked another one up yesterday for $479 OTD, and already have it converted to 22/250 with a heavy fluted factory barrel.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    The single shot Model 12's utilize the Savage Target Actions while the 10 Series uses the standard 110/10 style action. The 10,11,14,16 and the 12 Series Varmint models differ only the features built around the Action such as Synthetic vs. Wood vs. Accustock, factory trigger vs. Accu-Trigger and varying barrels types/lengths etc.. And since you are just using this for paper and maybe other targets out to 200 yards 90% of the time. I would agree with HoTolds and just grab a HogHunter which can be had for as low $420.00 or a Model 11 TH for a little more and ditch the stock, trigger, barrel and have some fun and rebuild a rifle you will be proud of.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Not sure where you are in Indiana but if you near Louisville the Knob Creek Gun Range goes out to over 340yds. Also, if you become a paid which well worth the money, you can find some good deals on .308's in the classifieds. In fact, they have 2 nice .308 rifles for sale right now.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Any particular reason for .308? Just asking to see if you're stuck on that caliber for a reason? I do have several .308s of different stripes from compact carbines to long heavy barreled rigs that almost need wheels and a few in between in the cabinet right now myself.
    In the model 12 I prefer the 22-250 in a heavy varmint style configuration with the laminated stock stainless fluted barrel etc. they are pretty and functional. I think it would do fine for the use you describe, range and paper to 200 and out to 500. I have a 12BVSS that's stupid accurate in 22-250 and it's much more economical to load for than a .308.bullets are about half the cost of .308 bullets and I save quite a few grains of powder per cartridge as well also very little recoil and those little bullets are really cooking with a laser beam trajectory. The ballistic plex reticle on my Burris 4.5-14x matches the trajectory nearly perfect making the setup really easy to use and enjoyable.

Just like the model 12s the model 10s come in many configurations as well. Everything from pencil barreled hunting rigs to scout style carbines to heavy barreled rifles with barrels from 20-24" and in as many calibers you can think of. As far as comparison they basiclly all use the same action as Roscoe pointed out.

Weight and barrel length usually aren't as much of a concern for a bench toy so I'd go with a 12BVSS. One of the beautiful things about Savage are the factory provided extras like fluting etc. that come on their reasonably priced rigs. I have a couple of model 10/110 LE rifles that I've picked up through the years that are fun and shoot very well but there is just something I love about the 12BVSS from the bench.
    Oh yeah and when pricing your rifle remember to factor in good bases, rings and glass. These necessary extras can push the price up quickly and significantly and you're not doing yourself any favors without decent products.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

You can always add a simple single shot follower to any magazine action. The work great.

luvall
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Any particular reason for .308? Just asking to see if you're stuck on that caliber for a reason? I do have several .308s of different stripes from compact carbines to long heavy barreled rigs that almost need wheels and a few in between in the cabinet right now myself.
    In the model 12 I prefer the 22-250 in a heavy varmint style configuration with the laminated stock stainless fluted barrel etc. they are pretty and functional. I think it would do fine for the use you describe, range and paper to 200 and out to 500. I have a 12BVSS that's stupid accurate in 22-250 and it's much more economical to load for than a .308.bullets are about half the cost of .308 bullets and I save quite a few grains of powder per cartridge as well also very little recoil and those little bullets are really cooking with a laser beam trajectory. The ballistic plex reticle on my Burris 4.5-14x matches the trajectory nearly perfect making the setup really easy to use and enjoyable.

Just like the model 12s the model 10s come in many configurations as well. Everything from pencil barreled hunting rigs to scout style carbines to heavy barreled rifles with barrels from 20-24" and in as many calibers you can think of. As far as comparison they basiclly all use the same action as Roscoe pointed out.

Weight and barrel length usually aren't as much of a concern for a bench toy so I'd go with a 12BVSS. One of the beautiful things about Savage are the factory provided extras like fluting etc. that come on their reasonably priced rigs. I have a couple of model 10/110 LE rifles that I've picked up through the years that are fun and shoot very well but there is just something I love about the 12BVSS from the bench.
    Oh yeah and when pricing your rifle remember to factor in good bases, rings and glass. These necessary extras can push the price up quickly and significantly and you're not doing yourself any favors without decent products.
    I live in Indiana and we have strong winds, thus the 308. Since my only day off is Monday, i can't pick a calm day to shoot. The locals recommend the 308 since it is heavy enough to shoot on less than ideal days. Thanks for the question.

luvall
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If you're just looking to shoot paper, with a precision shooter without going whole hog, check out the Hog Hunter. It might not be as pretty as the 12, but will shoot just as well. I just picked another one up yesterday for $479 OTD, and already have it converted to 22/250 with a heavy fluted factory barrel.
    Thanks for the advice. So what does a barrel cost?

luvall
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    The single shot Model 12's utilize the Savage Target Actions while the 10 Series uses the standard 110/10 style action. The 10,11,14,16 and the 12 Series Varmint models differ only the features built around the Action such as Synthetic vs. Wood vs. Accustock, factory trigger vs. Accu-Trigger and varying barrels types/lengths etc.. And since you are just using this for paper and maybe other targets out to 200 yards 90% of the time. I would agree with HoTolds and just grab a HogHunter which can be had for as low $420.00 or a Model 11 TH for a little more and ditch the stock, trigger, barrel and have some fun and rebuild a rifle you will be proud of.
    Sounds like fun. What would then prices be on barrel and trigger group? Who makes a "good" replacement stock?

You can pick up a barrel for $100 on up. I paid $135 for my fluted factory 22/250 barrel. Boyd's makes a nice stock for the money, $125 gets you a very nice piece of wood that your rifle will literally drop right into. Another $100 gets you a sweet custom trigger. So for $350 or so in upgrades you've got a sweet looking rifle that'll shoot lights out with the proper loads.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

There's a Hog Hunter on the Predator Masters forum for $440, already in a tacitcool stock. Thats a pretty good deal waiting to be had. It's in 223, but converting over to 308 based cartridges would be relatively painless.
    I have a couple of hog hunter barrels in 308 so if you were to pick up the 223 I could work something out to get you started in the right direction.

N4EDT
    I bought the single shot left port, right bolt because it is stiff. Small eject port and magazine cutout in the bottom makes it pretty stiff. The third bolt in the action may have a positive effect on accuracy.

CH Luke

Model 12 advice needed

Lived in the Midwest ( including 30 years in Indiana) and saw some but very few days of more than 10-15 mph winds. At 100-200 yards a 308 like my 12vlp will shrug off the wind. Keep your bullets at the 168 grain mark and you should be sub-MOA.
    Another way to go is start 308 for its versatility. It gives you the option of 600-1000 yards (move up to 175 grain) in case you decide you want to compete and a long lasting barrel. Since the 308 is a short action you can change down to smaller calibers at any time. There are a lot of lower cost to load options out there in 6-7mm with lower recoils and flatter trajectories you can always buy a barrel and a couple new dies and be in business with later too.
    Last edited by CH Luke; 08-09-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    You can always add a simple single shot follower to any magazine action. The work great.
    Amen to that!

rugermack
    my model 12 .308 is a long action, is this uncommon?