Thread: scope for macular degeneration?

Basic Member

scope for macular degeneration?

OK, if the title of this post grabs your attention, that's what I wanted...

I've got macular degeneration that is gradually taking my vision away, but I love shooting. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to shoot, but I want to stretch it out as much as possible, so I've been putting scopes on every gun I own (including pistols).

I've just purchased my first Savage (an Edge in .243), and I want to put a scope on it that's as powerful as possible. This will be for informal/enjoyment target shooting (NOT competition) in the 100-300yd range. Now, I know from my reading of this site, that for most of you this is "spitting distance" and a scope that's 3x-9x would probably be overkill. But I need a scope in the 12x-16x range (or more!)...and I still need to be able to pay for ammo, food, mortgage, etc (notice the items listed in priority order).

So, I know that this question will make those of you with scopes costing $500-$5000 cringe, but...is there a scope in that magnification range for around $200, that isn't junk?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactic...pe-P53715.aspx

SWFA line is always my first recommendation. I believe they are the best bang for the buck in this price range.

Basic Member
    LoneWolf,

Thanks. I have noticed that many people here like the SWFA scopes, I'll have to check them out some more...I can see that the reticle marks would probably be wasted on me!
    Interesting comment by one person leaving a review: "I purchased this scope for my .22lr trainer rifle"
    Wow!

I have this scope mounted on my M12 22-250.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128...ProductFinding

I think it's a fantastic scope for the money; bright and clear and on sale. Check out the reviews, mostly positive. It did a fine job on Prairie Dogs out to about 350yds.

Basic Member
    The other thing to think about is nice easy to read turrets or easy to view and read reticle for making wing and elevation adjustments. Even at 350yds, it will help.

Basic Member
    Rick3 I wish you the best.
    How about a fixed power Like a weaver 15X, 24X or 36X. Check Ebay for used ones.
    I discovered I too suffer from macular degeneration but at this time it's mainly in my left eye. Ii was my dominate eye but I always shot right handed. I am putting together 3 Savage rifles all LA .308, .223, 6MM BR. I spent money on 2 XLR stocks and a $600 Leupold and $600 Vortex both are 6.5 - 20. I should not have spent the money but I figure in a few years at my age, 72 now, my eyes will force me to stop shooting.
    My doc has said as it gets worse he can inject the eye which will slow the process down but it's only good for less than a year. He also said it was expensive but did not talk dollars.
    Good luck and good shooting

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ger42 View Post
    Rick3 I wish you the best.
    How about a fixed power Like a weaver 15X, 24X or 36X. Check Ebay for used ones.
    I discovered I too suffer from macular degeneration but at this time it's mainly in my left eye. Ii was my dominate eye but I always shot right handed. I am putting together 3 Savage rifles all LA .308, .223, 6MM BR. I spent money on 2 XLR stocks and a $600 Leupold and $600 Vortex both are 6.5 - 20. I should not have spent the money but I figure in a few years at my age, 72 now, my eyes will force me to stop shooting.
    My doc has said as it gets worse he can inject the eye which will slow the process down but it's only good for less than a year. He also said it was expensive but did not talk dollars.
    Good luck and good shooting
    ger42,

You must have the "wet" version of macular degeneration...yup, you can get shots in the eye (not nearly as bad as it sounds) to slow the progression. I'm hoping for another couple of years of vision good enough to keep shooting.

Don't think, "I should not have spent the money" on those scopes...think, "wow, this allows me to continue to enjoy shooting!"

I understand from my doc that the typical situation is that the vision is worse in the center of the field of view, and that's the case for me. So, what I've found is that if I can tilt my head at the right angle, I can see the scope image better from the edge of my field of vision. Probably looks crazy to anyone watching me, but if it works, it's not crazy.

Hoping for the best for you, too.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    I have this scope mounted on my M12 22-250.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128...ProductFinding

I think it's a fantastic scope for the money; bright and clear and on sale. Check out the reviews, mostly positive. It did a fine job on Prairie Dogs out to about 350yds.
    GaryB,

Wow, that is inexpensive! I might even be able to afford that one next month (budgeting...you know how it is). I could certainly see the reticle easier on this one.

I don't even have my Savage yet (bought it off GunBroker and it hasn't been delivered to my FFL dealer yet), but I'm chomping at the bit to get it and take it out "for a stroll" at my local range.