I went to my lgs today to pick up my new Axis 22-250 HB. I have purchased 12 rifles from this dealer in the recent past, mostly Savage.
Not only did he (as always) beat the best on-line price (those with 'free' shipping), I always prefer to purchase locally. Even if it is a 25 mile drive, each way.

Anyway, getting to the point, I was shocked at the amount of reloading components he had and the low prices for same.

When I asked the owner/gunsmith/friend, why it looked liked the 'good ole days', he stated the following 'sad' fact:

He said that as older guys are dying off, they have requested either in their wills or in their gun safes, that the families sell their stuff to this lgs to be purchased for a 'fair' price and these items be resold for a 'fair' price.

Although I LOVE my lgs, I understand supply/demand and having had my own FFL in the past, I could see how easy it would be for him to make a killing. However, he is as honest as the day is long. I saw powder/bullets/primers like it was the 'good 'ole days', with prices to match. He said it was just the 'right thing to do' and he made a small % on the stuff. Powder that was questionable/not sealed was disposed of, cast bullets were checked for diameter/weight, etc.......

It was so good to see this 'win - win' mentality today, when you can't find it else where. I went into the local Wal Mart Superstore yesterday and asked the clerk in Sporting Goods (just out of curiosity) if she was asked about .22 lr ammo. She just rolled her eyes and said:
"all day, every day!!!!".... WTF are the hoarders doing, still????
Going back to the lgs this weekend to purchase (not hoard) the bargains......

ron