Thread: Anyone report on model 25 in .222 Remington?

Salvo

Anyone report on model 25 in .222 Remington?

Am considering a model 25 in .222 Rem, wonder if anyone here can report on that model and caliber.

Am also thinking about getting a model 16 in .223 and re-barreling for .222. Not sure which would be best.

Flyndutchman
    I have the 25 in the laminated thumbhole stock. It is a very nice high gloss, blued, action and barrel. The bolt lift is great on this gun and the bolt slides like on glass. It shoots under half inch groups with just about anything you can throw together. The "composite" magazines are iffy, but do work. I have the similar gun in 22 hornet with the bead blasted finish. It is rough, the bolt lift is horrible. The 25's tend to be a little inconsistent in the way they are put together. The polished ones seem to be better. I saw a 22 hornet last year in a Cabelas store that was the same high gloss in a thumb hole stock as my 222 and it was as slick as my 222. I say hold out for the more polished model, I think they put a little more effort into the build with them.

Salvo
    I ended up getting a 25-T in .223 at a gun show, swapping off a Rock River AR15 for it. I also bought 100 rounds of Black Hills 75 grn Match HP cartridges (factory seconds) and shot a five-shot group on my first outing at 100 yards that a dime covers.

Click image to see it larger. One of the bullet holes is a double.

The scope it had on it is a BSA "CatEye" 4-16x40 side-focus. It looks funny but works OK. I can see my groups at 100 yards without dragging out my spotting scope.

Boy am I glad I swapped off that AR15 for the model 25!

Salvo
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyndutchman View Post
    I have the 25 in the laminated thumbhole stock. It is a very nice high gloss, blued, action and barrel. The bolt lift is great on this gun and the bolt slides like on glass. It shoots under half inch groups with just about anything you can throw together. The "composite" magazines are iffy, but do work. I have the similar gun in 22 hornet with the bead blasted finish. It is rough, the bolt lift is horrible. The 25's tend to be a little inconsistent in the way they are put together. The polished ones seem to be better. I saw a 22 hornet last year in a Cabelas store that was the same high gloss in a thumb hole stock as my 222 and it was as slick as my 222. I say hold out for the more polished model, I think they put a little more effort into the build with them.
    I got a polished one, and the bolt is as smooth as glass. - Steered away from another model 25 with a matte finish.

At the gun show, they were all safetied with nylon tie-wraps so there was no way to try out the action.

I thank you for your advice.