Thread: How/who to drill pin hole in Savage 99 'hammer'

Basic Member

How/who to drill pin hole in Savage 99 'hammer'

First, I know: it is really a 'striker'. However, the Savage parts manual lists the part as a hammer.

I have 2 Savage 99s from the mid/late 1950s: one a 1954 EG .300 and one what looks like a 1957 F in .308. Guts are the same and bolt length seems the same. Any bolt length differences I see are within the bounds of my inability to measure accurately with my calipers.

I have an appropriate model hammer, firing pin [pin on type], hammer spring and hammer bushing. I want to put them together so that I have a completely good spare on hand for down the road [or if I pass it on to relatives].

The problem?

The hammer is not drilled for the firing pin mounting pin, and I don't trust myself to drill it without the tip of the drill wandering, causing a mis-alignment.

So, 2 questions:

The hammer DOES go all the way until it bottoms out within the firing pin piece, correct?

Any recommendations of who to send this work to that can do it the correct way? I don't know if there is an alignment issue involved also, with the ramped part of the firing pin on the bottom, top or sides.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bczrx View Post
    Any recommendations of who to send this work to that can do it the correct way?

Any tips would be appreciated!
    Got a machine shop within a reasonable distance?

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I'm sure I can find one. What worries me is the alignment. I know the firing pin has to be lined up 'just so'. I am concerned a basic machine shop will put it on at any old angle, despite my clear instructions [once I understand the position enough to give clear instructions].

any tips on the alignment of the firing pin on the hammer/striker piece?

Basic Member
    I don't think it would be big deal drilling it using the old one for the pattern.

Worst case call or email this guy...http://www.downeastgunworks.com/ He seems to know his way around 99s

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.