Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Varget powder

emtrescue6

I think the powder "shortages" are different from region to region...here in Michigan I have seen little or no powder for about 2 years on most trips to any of my local options. I will say last week I did see IMR4064 and Win 748 in 1 pounders in volume at 2 places. I am glad I was hoarder before hoarding became popular and bought a few 8 pounders a few years ago when powder was everywhere....

cranebird
    I bought another can of Winchester 748 today. I kick myself for not buying a can of Varget with it but there is always tomorrow. It has been so long since I've seen Win powder and they only had 5 cans... Feels like I've found a snickers bar while I was enrolled in a fat camp or something. I might throw that can under my pillow ,next to the rifle barrel........

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I bought another can of Winchester 748 today. I kick myself for not buying a can of Varget with it but there is always tomorrow. It has been so long since I've seen Win powder and they only had 5 cans... Feels like I've found a snickers bar while I was enrolled in a fat camp or something. I might throw that can under my pillow ,next to the rifle barrel........
    I was buying my hunting licenses at a tiny little fishing and hunting place--and low and behold, they had 2 cans of 4064 (which I prefer over varget anyway) and I snatched em both.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

cranebird
    Good find. There has been no shortage of 4064 here.I love it in the 22-250 but have yet to try it in .223 caliber.3031 is a great .223 powder with 50 gr V Max bullets.Got some Bergers 52 gr match and 55 gr varminters coming in,I can't wait........

Basic Member
    My 22-250 loves Varget. Over the last few years any powder has been scarce around here and to top the shortage off one of the (real) sporting goods stores here closed it's doors. So now there's only one place to buy supplies. If I'm there and they have powder I usually pick up a pound, the last couple pounds I bought were $30 each.

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I think the powder "shortages" are different from region to region...here in Michigan I have seen little or no powder for about 2 years on most trips to any of my local options. I will say last week I did see IMR4064 and Win 748 in 1 pounders in volume at 2 places. I am glad I was hoarder before hoarding became popular and bought a few 8 pounders a few years ago when powder was everywhere....
    we have a small place in gr what has most powders in stock, they limit how much you can buy.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    My 22-250 loves Varget. Over the last few years any powder has been scarce around here and to top the shortage off one of the (real) sporting goods stores here closed it's doors. So now there's only one place to buy supplies. If I'm there and they have powder I usually pick up a pound, the last couple pounds I bought were $30 each.
    I got gouged a bit $40 each for pounders of 4064
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    we have a small place in gr what has most powders in stock, they limit how much you can buy.
    Yeah GR is a bit of a drive for powder for me...fortunately I am not hurting for powder.

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    Yeah GR is a bit of a drive for powder for me...fortunately I am not hurting for powder.
    shout if ya need something, I can swing it by ya on my way to OH
    newbie from gr, mi.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I guess they did.I pay $27.95 a can for 4064 here. I paid $29.95 for a can of Varget today.I don't know whether it runs more or whether they are charging more since this is from the newest powder shipment.

sdeeter19541
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Wow...even at the height of the rush, I only paid $29/pound of 4064.

I have probably ten pound of 4064 as its the powder of choice for my 110e in 30-06 and what I intend to use in the 375R once I get the scope done and time to shoot. I basically pick it up when I see it, whether I need it or not.

michaelnel
    We ought to remember these gougers and when supplies loosen up, let them know why you will no longer do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    We ought to remember these gougers and when supplies loosen up, let them know why you will no longer do business with them.
    Amen!
    newbie from gr, mi.

I do remember and they get very little to none of my money.

cranebird
    It certainly is fun messing around with the different powders.24.5 gr of Varget with a 55 gr bullet is pretty darn good through my axis. I pretty much have chosen the 4064 for my 22-250 and If I had to choose just 1 powder for the .223, it would be H335.It simply works great in a.223.
    Last edited by cranebird; 08-08-2014 at 04:20 PM.

roger that!
    A new LGS opened up its doors. When they 1st opened, there prices where reasonable but when the crunch hit?.....so did they. Ive never gone back and never will again. Ill spend upwards of 1k a yr on reloading components for all of my firearms. Ill gladley give my hard earned money to somebody else.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

sdeeter19541
    WOW! I was just at Cabelas and they had a total of about four choices of powder, including 4064 and 3031.

And the way the shelves were laid out, one would think they might not be supporting the reloading community for very long. They had rearranged the shelves to basically not have space for powder...a guy even commented when I was there "is this all they have?". While they had powder, it was oddball Winchester stuff I have never seen before (other than the IMR I bought). They use to have about every powder known to man on the shelf (or at least space for it on the shelf).

Kinda disappointing.

My local Cabelas put powder behind the counter around the first of the year, and has moved its location behind the counter a time or three.

Other Cabelas I have been to in the past (St. Louis, Kansas City, Gonzales LA, East Grand Forks MN, Allen TX) have had a shelf of powder out in the general reloading component area, but I haven't been in a non-local Cabelas in close to a year.

emtrescue6
    My local Cabela's did a major overhaul of floorspace a while back and expanded the reloading section...probably doubled the shelf space, but it has also put powder and primers in an "odd" location and smaller shelf...that being said, they have had piles of primers...but only had 4 or so powders last week....which is 3 more than they had the week before. I think their current shelf space says they are experiencing the same shortage everyone else is so why waste valuable display space to leave vacant for the time being? I suspect they will make room for powder again if and when it becomes available...if....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234