Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Varget powder

cranebird

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    hey Frank don't feel like the lone stranger. I went thru over 16 pounds of varget trying to get it to work in a 308 and finally got rid of all i had left because it didn't like me either.
    At least you gave it a fair chance before stopping at over 16 lbs..... I must confess, patience is not my forte.......
    Last edited by cranebird; 07-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.

been using Varget for close to 17 yrs.... Works for me...but so does 4064
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Yep, I could not find a use for Varget, either.

Then I got a .308 and it's awesome! Just today I worked up a load of it with 45.8g and Sierra 168 Match Kings and Fed Match primers... 5 shots .257 inch at 100 yards.!

I was also getting solid, less than 1/2 inch groups with it and 150 NBT's out of that and another 308.

In my book it went from worthless to priceless in almost a month.
    whats your elevation and speed?
    {John Wayne}

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Are we tuning 2 stroke scooter carbs or shooting targets ?Are
    you saying higher elevation makes a bullet go faster because the air is leaner ? I'm at 1939 feet above sea level, probably the thinner air is not helping me think correctly.....
    Last edited by cranebird; 07-28-2014 at 04:56 PM.

cranebird
    DanSavage, you need to empty your pm box. I cannot give you the report of seeing 12 cans of 4064 powder available like I previously promised to.Sorry....
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    DanSavage, you need to empty your pm box. I cannot give you the report of seeing 12 cans of 4064 powder available like I previously promised to.Sorry....
    Ivan
    Just did,, is this for real??

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    Just did,, is this for real??
    Yes it is for real. Stop and see Vivian, she is the one to see when going there.....

Thanks cranebird!

cranebird
    No problem Dan, I might need your help, found a go gage available to buy, thinking of ordering 100 Lapua brass to start with. I ran across a smoking F class rifle deal but really bad timing right now. Maybe after Fridays results, I might become a metal flaked Rem shooter. God, help me !

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    No problem Dan, I might need your help, found a go gage available to buy, thinking of ordering 100 Lapua brass to start with. I ran across a smoking F class rifle deal but really bad timing right now. Maybe after Fridays results, I might become a metal flaked Rem shooter. God, help me !
    Remington?

Traitor....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I've got .308 go and no gauges if you need them,, I'd meet ya half way, or can bring them to a match or something. I also have all barrel swapping tools if you need them also.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Remington?

Traitor....
    Hi Frank.

you saying higher elevation makes a bullet go faster because the air is leaner ? I'm at 1939 feet above sea level, probably the thinner air is not helping me think correctly.....
    lololo...actually, doing both. Overhauled lots of carbs, reset jettings, barrels, niddles etc in my 36 yrs of being a tech. nothing better than the smell of race 2 stroke oil comming out of my race ready KX-250 1st thing staurday morning.

As far as altitude and calculations of bullet drop?........... Inputting correct altitude into ballistic,s calculator is a must. Especially if your sending them to distance.

I shoot at 2 different ranges. One at a military range which is at 3800ft and 4400ft out in the Texas desert southwest mountain valleys.
    I made the mistake of guessing at altitude and couldnt figure out why I wasnt hitting 6"x8" steel,s @ 1K. I quickly learned I needed to know correct altitude. I dont have a nice smart phone with all the apps to go with it so i oppted for a nice casio watch with temp/baro pressure/altimiter and last but not least...time....o.lo.ololooolooolol
    {John Wayne}

cranebird
    lololo...actually, doing both. Overhauled lots of carbs, reset jettings, barrels, niddles etc in my 36 yrs of being a tech. nothing better than the smell of race 2 stroke oil comming out of my race ready KX-250 1st thing staurday morning.

As far as altitude and calculations of bullet drop?........... Inputting correct altitude into ballistic,s calculator is a must. Especially if your sending them to distance.

I shoot at 2 different ranges. One at a military range which is at 3800ft and 4400ft out in the Texas desert southwest mountain valleys.
    I made the mistake of guessing at altitude and couldnt figure out why I wasnt hitting 6"x8" steel,s @ 1K. I quickly learned I needed to know correct altitude. I dont have a nice smart phone with all the apps to go with it so i oppted for a nice casio watch with temp/baro pressure/altimiter and last but not least...time....o.lo.ololooolooolol
    Thanks, I've still got a pile of main, idle jets and mixers and Boysen reeds left over from the old days. It was a good day when Bel Ray was burning in the early morning light. I'll have to get the watch....

In general altitude density is reduced the higher your altitude. Humidity and heat also reduce air density.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Thanks, I've still got a pile of main, idle jets and mixers and Boysen reeds left over from the old days. It was a good day when Bel Ray was burning in the early morning light. I'll have to get the watch....
    yes it was a great day to see the bel ray smoken. I used Castor Bean oil for one race season and when it came time to pull the cylinder for new ris-pin/piston/brg,, I was extremely suprised as to see no wear at all on rod brgs, and thrust brgs incluidng the ris pin.
    Man how I miss those days. It sadens my heart knowing I have to rid myself of one of my race bikes.........
    {John Wayne}

cranebird
    Well I broke down and bought a can of varget today. I said previously that the 3031 was possibly for the future 6mmBR, this varget is also but in reality If I get the 6BR like I 'm hoping to do, Reloader 15 is all I'll need.So I bought a can of Varget powder to sit on the shelf and see if the wife notices another can added to the collection. Thanks for all of the responses.This thread has certainly been entertaining.

Ivan

Basic Member
    I dont know. Will crony next week. Elevation is also unknown. I have only shot in mid Michigan. Not that sophisticated yet.

Edit: Elevation is 799 feet
    Last edited by foxx; 07-30-2014 at 05:28 PM.

cranebird
    Ok, so I reload 3 rounds of varget at 23.5 gr. to beat the thunderstorm coming in and shot this at 100 yards.

It was a cold bore start, first round took the higher right flyer route which is normal for this axis. This stupid stock barrel shoots well for a budget gun.I'm going to miss it when I put the .223 AI barrel on in its place. The sightron cross hair completely covers the white center ring at 100 yards being only a 9 x isn't helping. I need to get a better scope with fine crosshairs. I can't wait to work the powder up and get a barrel warm up for the test.23.3 is starting,I just threw 23.5 gr on the scale with the first dipper scoop out of the can and followed it with 2 more the same weight. What fun !
    Last edited by cranebird; 07-30-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: changed picture

RL 15,17, 19 and 22 floats my boat for most everything. Oh and 4064 too.

Nice Cranebird, what bullet are you using?

cranebird
    52 gr Speer HPBT match bullets. I picked up the Hornady 52 gr match bullets as well but haven't tried them yet. Looking for the Berger as well but haven't sourced them yet. I got a email that my barrel is shipping out tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will be in Buffalo VA and then the surgery Friday morning. Hopefully things go well so I can pursue this f class competition. Thanks for all of your help.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I dont know. Will crony next week. Elevation is also unknown. I have only shot in mid Michigan. Not that sophisticated yet.

Edit: Elevation is 799 feet
    thanks
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    In general altitude density is reduced the higher your altitude. Humidity and heat also reduce air density.
    I can see dry heat reducing the density. But the more humidity, the more water molecules increasing density.
    I consider myself really lucky to have the wide open mountain terrrains and elevations that go from 3800 all the way up tp 5000 due to our mountain valleys.
    {John Wayne}

I'm no fizzics expert, but I believe hydrogen has less mass than oxygen or nitrogen (assuming temp is constant)--so the more water vapor is present in the air--the less dense it is. Remember the Zeppelins! : )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast