Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Varget powder

cranebird

Varget powder

It's really real and not just a myth. I've been searching for it since last year, I stopped in to pick up a can of IMR3031 after work and they had varget as well.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    What's a Varget?

What are you using it for? (as in what caliber?)

Every time I've tried it I always end up going back to 4064 or some other comparable burn rate powder. I think the stuff just doesn't like me.
    H380, too. I hate that stuff.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Varget, that's my go to in quite a few cartridges. Love it and it loves me, not sure why it doesn't like you Frank, perhaps conflicting personalities?

I was glad I stocked up and bought about 12lbs before all this started and been able to snag a lb or 2 here of there.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

n4ue
    +1 on Varget. Works fine in my rifles.......
    My lgs owner asked me how I liked it and thought he might try it.......

ron

It been pretty easy to get in my area for the last 6 months.

it works well but it's not my favorite by any means.

Basic Member
    hey Frank don't feel like the lone stranger. I went thru over 16 pounds of varget trying to get it to work in a 308 and finally got rid of all i had left because it didn't like me either.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Yep, I could not find a use for Varget, either.

Then I got a .308 and it's awesome! Just today I worked up a load of it with 45.8g and Sierra 168 Match Kings and Fed Match primers... 5 shots .257 inch at 100 yards.!

I was also getting solid, less than 1/2 inch groups with it and 150 NBT's out of that and another 308.

In my book it went from worthless to priceless in almost a month.

Basic Member
    I was in a gun shop Wednesday that had 20 cans of Varget on the shelf. And I didn't even buy any of it. The shelves were weil stocked with most powders except Ramshot.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    I was in a gun shop Wednesday that had 20 cans of Varget on the shelf. And I didn't even buy any of it. The shelves were weil stocked with most powders except Ramshot.
    Please do not make me cry!

Basic Member
    I'm glad I wasn't the only guy that Varget didn't like. It kinda reminded me of dealing with an irate ex- 'ol lady. Absolutely NOTHING I could do to make it happy.
    Aside from that, 4064 was in abundance and it works well in my .308.

Funny how that works. Some guys can't live without it, some guys hate it. For me, it was very temperamental. Hot, cold, humid or dry I couldn't get any consistency from it.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Funny how that works. Some guys can't live without it, some guys hate it. For me, it was very temperamental. Hot, cold, humid or dry I couldn't get any consistency from it.
    I dunno Frank, I have found it to be the least temperature sensitive powder in my cabinet. Like you said, Some need it like air and others treat it like its the plague. My 308 and 243AI do great in hot or cold with it, so that's all that matters to me. At least you found a good abundant replacement. Sounds like you have done the same with the irate ex-ol' lady, .
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cranebird
    What's a Varget?

What are you using it for? (as in what caliber?)

Every time I've tried it I always end up going back to 4064 or some other comparable burn rate powder. I think the stuff just doesn't like me.
    H380, too. I hate that stuff.
    This was a subliminal message post for DanSavage, seeing he lives close by. They have 100 lbs of varget ! I didn't buy any, not knowing what is going to happen next Friday except for the can of 3031 that I had already placed an order for. They said it would be in next Wednesday which must have been in code, meaning for this Friday. I gave Dan the wrong info days ago.........................

Basic Member
    Hey Ivan,
    What are you using the 3031 in?
    I have a full can that I can't seem to find a caliber it likes. It's been in the back of the cabinet for 2+ years. All alone. In the dark. Shoved in a corner. The other powders won't associate with it.
    I think it might be a can of Varget in disguise...
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 07-26-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Sarco in easton PA had 4lbs on the shelf yesterday... T&T reloading has a few on the shelf, check his website, you can order from them... They are in eastern PA as well

cranebird
    Hey Ivan,
    What are you using the 3031 in?
    I have a full can that I can't seem to find a caliber it likes. It's been in the back of the cabinet for 2+ years. All alone. In the dark. Shoved in a corner. The other powders won't associate with it.
    I think it might be a can of Varget in disguise...
    I'm specifically looking to use 3031 for 52-53 gr bullets for .223 Rem and later down the road, I plan on using it in a 6BR if I am able to get that far. What little I've done with it, I get the feeling I chose well for using it in the .223 but like an idiot,I signed up to work this weekend and it's put a damper to my putting time in on developing load data.....

Hey cranebird, I don't know nothing about any powder in the area! LOL

Dan

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    Hey cranebird, I don't know nothing about any powder in the area! LOL

Dan
    Are you shooting .223 or .308 at Odessa ? I will be there in spirit but most likely stuck in Buffalo for the weekend....
    Last edited by cranebird; 07-26-2014 at 06:49 PM.

wrench man
    I've also found no good use for Varget??, 4064 is a much better powder!

The more people that find no use for it means there's just that much more for me. (evil laugh)

cranebird
    I've been looking for a can of varget for what seems like forever. Now that I've found it, I've lost interest in wanting it for fear of not being able to find it again once they run through this order. IMR 4064 is all that and a bag of chips and it has been available on a regular basis......

Basic Member
    VARGET is my go to powder for 223,308 and 30-06 !! Best thing about this powder is no change in pressure due to temp. swings.. I have used this powder in 204 and 260 but could not get the grouping to close up... It still did shoot under 1 inch though... I would diffinently recommed this VARGET to any beginner in reloading cause it can be used in lots of cartridges.. I would share my load data for specific guns ... load-em-up shooters !!!!

There is a small M&P gun shop in my area, and there is always one lonely can of Varget on the shelf, he always says it's my last one, so I buy it, even when that's not what I came in for, I am sure as soon as I leave he goes and gets another one, and gives the same sales pitch to the next guy.LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky-Shooter View Post
    Best thing about this powder is no change in pressure due to temp. swings..
    No, actually not in the sense that you mean, it isn't.

If you actually read Hodgdon's own testing you can see in most cases, the "difference" isn't statistically valid. And while they would have you believe that being "extreme" is universal, that is certainly not the case. Western has been somewhat vocal on this, and testing by Dr. Denton Bramwell shows the same. The "magic" properties are designed for a very specific set of parameters. Varget in the 308 with 150gr bullets, shows the touted benefits. Varget in the 223 with any bullet weight, is a streaming pile.. Doesn't mean you can't get good groups.

Just because the TV says that for $19.95 + S/H, you can own a life changing widget, doesn't make it true.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    Are you shooting .223 or .308 at Odessa ? I will be there in spirit but most likely stuck in Buffalo for the weekend....
    I think I'm going to give the .223 a go this time.

I'll be going in with this load I worked.

This is how I did yesterday at the Clyde 300 yard F class match, if it hadn't been for the one flier in the 3, I would have got 1st place.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast