Thread: Building mid range target Stevens 200, questions...

C-grunt

Building mid range target Stevens 200, questions...

Hello. I was directed here from another shooting site when I started asking questions about my Stevens build. What I have now is a Stevens 200 in .223 topped with a Mueller tactical 8.5-25x44 mildot scope on some bases that I dont know. All together was 300 bucks and Im pretty happy with what I got. Having had a 10FP .308 in the past, I knew I was getting a good base. My first time out using cheap plinker 55 grn rounds, on a bad rest and the trigger at the stock 56 lbs she shot a 5 shot group of a little under 1.5 inches.

Anyways, my plan is to build this rifle into a mid range 600ish yard target rifle. No competing, just for fun with my friends. My plans are to exchange the barrel for a 1 in 7, and get a better stock and bases first. Then replace the trigger since its actually not to bad when adjusted. So here are my questions.

1. Since Im going to rebarrel it I was thinking of maybe just converting it over to a .308 since I still have reloading components leftover from my 10FP. To do this I would just need to replace the bolt face and barrel right?

2. Being that its a .223 it has the staggered feed magazine right? Therefor this stock would work? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=161586

3. Is the screw spacing 4.25 or the 4.4 inches? Im thinking its the 4.25 since it seems the 4.4 is the centerfeed mags.

usmc_mwroseberry

Re: Building mid range target Stevens 200, questions...

Definately go 308. Or go to 7mm-08. This round is more accurate than the 308 and has MANY aftermarket reloading grain weights available for it. You're going to need to go with a faster twist rate than the factory savage barrel though if you want to get over 120gr bullets. But Bullets can be aquired all the way up to 170gr I believe. My brother has one in a slow twist barrel and his rounds come out of the muzzle MOVING. I however run a 308 and I have no problem going out to 1000, and I have less recoil than he has on his rifle. And yes you will need a barrel and a bolt head (308, 7mm-08 use same head)

I'm running the same B&C you have picked out. I LOVE IT!!! It's a night and day difference over the stocker.

Yes the 4.25 is the new screw spacing or pull your action and if the magazine well is attached to the stock it's a centerfeed. If it's attached to the receiver then it's a stagger.

Good Luck,
    Merritt
    SGT USMC vet.

I believe you have to swap out the mag also, or at least the magazine follower.Only way to know your screw spacing is to measure it, take nothing for granted.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Budweiser360

There is no difference in performance from a 80grn 223 and a 155 308. If you get a 1-7 and shoot 90grn VLD's at 2800fps, not even a 185 308 can keep up.

I am not sure why everyone thinks the 308 is unbeatable. For almost half the price of reloading with half the recoil, equal or better ballistics, the 223 should not be looked down upon.

learjet

on paper those hopped up 223s look good, and im sure many can make them work. however, ive never seen any 1k hits on our 12"x16" steel at mifflin w any 223, but ive seen a bunch try. not overly difficult w the 308. at this range the winds swirl and dip, u see all kinds of strange things happen. i shoot 155scenars at 2925 outta my 308, and its does well. along the same lines my buddys 338 lapua puts our 308s to shame. all a matter of what u want. ive messed w the match 223 bullets only a little, and never saw any point - they just seemed awful picky to the smallest variables, where the 308 is so very forgiving

[img width=600 height=450]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/learje/mifflinreduced71307.jpg[/img]
    YMMV

lear

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt
    Hello. I was directed here from another shooting site when I started asking questions about my Stevens build. What I have now is a Stevens 200 in .223 topped with a Mueller tactical 8.5-25x44 mildot scope on some bases that I dont know. All together was 300 bucks and Im pretty happy with what I got. Having had a 10FP .308 in the past, I knew I was getting a good base. My first time out using cheap plinker 55 grn rounds, on a bad rest and the trigger at the stock 56 lbs she shot a 5 shot group of a little under 1.5 inches.

Anyways, my plan is to build this rifle into a mid range 600ish yard target rifle. No competing, just for fun with my friends. My plans are to exchange the barrel for a 1 in 7, and get a better stock and bases first. Then replace the trigger since its actually not to bad when adjusted. So here are my questions.

1. Since Im going to rebarrel it I was thinking of maybe just converting it over to a .308 since I still have reloading components leftover from my 10FP. To do this I would just need to replace the bolt face and barrel right?

2. Being that its a .223 it has the staggered feed magazine right? Therefor this stock would work? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=161586

3. Is the screw spacing 4.25 or the 4.4 inches? Im thinking its the 4.25 since it seems the 4.4 is the centerfeed mags.
    1. You will need Barrel, Bolt Head, Magbox and Follwer. The 223 has a shorter box (internal filler), and different feed lips. If you stick with the 223, all you'd need is the barrel.

2. Just because it's a .223 does not mean it is staggered feed. Measure the screw spacing. That stock will work on the staggered feed actions. They are also available for the centerfeeds, if that is actually what you have.

3. Only you can tell us what the screw spacing is.
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

fatdaddy

If you pull the action out of the stock and the mag is attached to the action, its a staggered feed which is 4.25". If the mag stays in the stock or is not part of the action, its a center feed and is 4.40"... measure your action bolts before you order your stock... Bill

C-grunt

Ok guys thanks for the info. As of now I think Im just gonna stick with the .223. I doubt I will be shooting any further than 500-600 yards. And even if I did, I dont have the time to practice enough to get good at it right now. MAybe when my baby is older and I move closer to the range, 40 mile trip now.

So where is a good place to get an inexpensive but decent shooting 1 in 7 barrel? Like I said, no competing for me, so as long as it stays sub MOA Im good with it. I was thinking of a take off 10FP barrel.

Lodiman

Shaw, Shilen, Douglas, McGowen, Krieger(pricey)

McKinneyMike

Tough to beat a Shilen pre-fit Select Match barrel for any caliber. Price and quality are all there. Brux or a Benchmark, if you have an extra $100.00 for a barrel would be my next choices.

Budweiser360

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt
    Ok guys thanks for the info. As of now I think Im just gonna stick with the .223. I doubt I will be shooting any further than 500-600 yards. And even if I did, I dont have the time to practice enough to get good at it right now. MAybe when my baby is older and I move closer to the range, 40 mile trip now.

So where is a good place to get an inexpensive but decent shooting 1 in 7 barrel? Like I said, no competing for me, so as long as it stays sub MOA Im good with it. I was thinking of a take off 10FP barrel.
    You won't be getting a take-off 1-7 barrel from anything other than a LRPV or VLP

Basic Member

Not to throw a wrench into the works but have you considered a .243?

pa hog

Just build a 6br and be happy!

Basic Member

I'd go with a 1-8" twist.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."