Thread: Core-lokts vs. American whitetails

FlinginCarbon

Core-lokts vs. American whitetails

I've had my new-to-me 116 30-06 to the range a few times and have found that it likes 150 gr loads much better than 180's. Particularly, Remington Core-lokt 150 and Hornady American Whitetail 150.

My question is for anyone who has taken deer with both of these, did you notice one performed better than the other?

I will be hunting whitetails here in MO. 90% of my shots will be within 100 yards.

Thanks

Should work just fine. Whatever you shoot is going to do a lot more damage than a sharp stick flung from a string and those kill animals all the time.

My 10FP (.308) absolutely loves the Rem Core-Lokt 150s - has taken four deer from 75-150 yrds. None of them traveled over 20 yds after being shot.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

When it comes to factory ammo. I'm a Federal guy myself. any of the rounds you have chosen will get the job done. You might try a couple of 165gr loadings and see how they shoot. I have had very good accuracy with them and they are plenty of bullet to put whitetails to sleep.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Those core-lokts are great deer performers.

Basic Member
    Works great for my 308.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Luke45
    corelocts are good, but open up slowly and over penetrate for deer, ive actually never found a coreloct in a deer before they always exit, which is good, but they run farther unless shoulder shot.

I've never found an intact Core-Lokt either, but I have had a lot of fragmentation with mine. Always a dead deer with one (shoulder) shot, though. Just a little more meat damage and contamination than I care for.

Basic Member
    The core-lokts always worked for us, but our "bang-flop" percentage went WAY up after switching to the Hornady SST.

FlinginCarbon
    Quote Originally Posted by will_reed View Post
    The core-lokts always worked for us, but our "bang-flop" percentage went WAY up after switching to the Hornady SST.
    I have been keeping my eye out for some 150 SST's to try out. All I have found locally was some Superformance 180 and they shot like crap for me.

Basic Member
    in my experiance hornady and fedral factory loads seem to be the most consistant as far as from one lot to the next, the rem corlocts have been pretty accurate but one box will hit a different point than others for me, either will do a good job but I would shoot the hornady for consistancy

FlinginCarbon
    Quote Originally Posted by john800 View Post
    in my experiance hornady and fedral factory loads seem to be the most consistant as far as from one lot to the next, the rem corlocts have been pretty accurate but one box will hit a different point than others for me, either will do a good job but I would shoot the hornady for consistancy
    I've always been a fan of Hornady too. But, there is a lot of love for corelokts, so I wanted to hear from the gallery.
    I got ahold of some superformance 150s, so if they shoot well for me, they will be my hunting ammo.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlinginCarbon View Post
    I've always been a fan of Hornady too. But, there is a lot of love for corelokts, so I wanted to hear from the gallery.
    I got ahold of some superformance 150s, so if they shoot well for me, they will be my hunting ammo.
    Let us know how those work our for you! I've got a plain jane 110 in 30-06 that also shoots the American Whitetails well and I'd like to try the 150gr SSTs.

FlinginCarbon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Let us know how those work our for you! I've got a plain jane 110 in 30-06 that also shoots the American Whitetails well and I'd like to try the 150gr SSTs.
    The 150 superformance did not shoot well for me. Almost as bad as the 180's.
    I would stick to the American Whitetails and save your money.
    OTOH, I tried some Federal blue box power shocks 180 and they shot just as well as the 150 loads I tried.

I recently bought a new 270--and being short on brass I bought some boxes of factory ammo for the purposes of harvesting brass for reloads. I bought koreloks, sst's, fusion and winchester powermax bonded. I'm normally not a fan of winchester, and it's a different caliber, but the groupings were vastly superior to all the other "consumer grade" factory stuff--maybe just a coincidence; but worth a try if you don't reload and are looking for a hunting load.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

FlinginCarbon
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I recently bought a new 270--and being short on brass I bought some boxes of factory ammo for the purposes of harvesting brass for reloads. I bought koreloks, sst's, fusion and winchester powermax bonded. I'm normally not a fan of winchester, and it's a different caliber, but the groupings were vastly superior to all the other "consumer grade" factory stuff--maybe just a coincidence; but worth a try if you don't reload and are looking for a hunting load.
    Cool. Maybe I will give them a try. I have never been a big fan of Winchester ammo either, but I have never shot the powermax line.

For factory ammo in my .270 Federal Fusion 150's have been the tightest groups by far, but I am loading Hornday 140gr SST's for my hunting ammo which I am still fine tuning but not even in the same boat as Factory loads as far as accuracy.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    What ammo shoots well from another rifle does not necessarily work for yours. As others already noted, either one of your choices will work if they group well for your intended range/purpose. Last weekend, I was helping a couple of buddies sight their rifles. Rifles are identical (TC Venture in .300 WM) and both were using the same factory ammo (even the lot#s) but was getting different results.

Before reloading, the Corelokts was my go to ammo and have harvested many games. My son's .30-06 (Remington 1903 sporterized) shoots the 150 and 180 very well but the 180 keeps a tighter group.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Nandy
    I used corelokts in my 110 30-06 until I started reloading which then I moved to nosler silver ballistic tip. I did not have much problems with meat as at that time shots were not longer than 100 yds so I was consistently shooting necks. Even when I took some broad shots the meat damage was not too bad BUT, I always had exit holes with those corelockts.

I know many people shoot at the shoulder to anchor the deer but i have done that only one time in purpose and it did not look good. In other times it has been the shoulder in the exiting end that I have hit. Not good for meat. If you are getting groups under 1 moa and you can shoot consistently neck shots are the way to go. Unfortunately for me, this lease that I am on most shots are 200 yds plus so at times I shy from neck shots unless it is a very relax deer.