Thread: Barrel demand

Basic Member

Barrel demand

I just got off the phone with Dennis from McGowen Outlet...

(I had given them a bad address for a product shipment and had to correct it.)

Dennis told me they are producing 1,500 barrels per month, and they are about the third largest producer...

That means the industry is currently producing in excess of 5,000 aftermarket barrels a month! What the HECK?! That is absolutely AMAZING!

I can see now that I am in the wrong business. LOL

The ammo component manufacturers are running record numbers of components as well but I don't see much of it. Maybe just a few are purchasing the many. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Basic Member
    I can understand/believe more people are shooting, and those same people may be shooting more often and in higher quantities. I can also understand people hoarding cartridges and components b/c they don't want to be "shut-out". I am one of those people.

What I don't understand is why anyone would hoard barrels! LOL

Dennis told me they are producing 1,500 barrels per month, and they are about the third largest producer...
    Currently were between 3 and 5th. We are currently updating the facility. After the expansion, we may hit the number mentioned above.

Dennis

That means the industry is currently producing in excess of 5,000 aftermarket barrels a month! What the HECK?! That is absolutely AMAZING!

I can see now that I am in the wrong business. LOL
    WOW, I will have to state this is the reason some small parts are so hard to get including reloading supplies, and people like us (Outlet) have many of our orders on backorder status! I could name a few more companies, but I don't won't to violate any Forum Rules. This is the Outlet only, not the barrel plant. Examples: Bolt Bodies, Bolt handles, Go/No Go gauges, etc.

What I don't understand is why anyone would hoard barrels! LOL
    I personally don't know of anyone hoarding barrels, at least from my view.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-23-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Basic Member
    My wife has accused me of hoarding barrels!

Maybe I misunderstood some of what you were telling me. Sorry if I misquoted you, Dennis, or made it sound like you were twisting the numbers, that certainly wasn't my intention. I hope y'all get that my main point was that's a lot of barrels and accessories, no matter how you do the math.
    Last edited by foxx; 07-23-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    My wife has accused me of hoarding barrels!

Maybe I misunderstood some of what you were telling me. Sorry if I misquoted you, Dennis, or made it sound like you were twisting the numbers, that certainly wasn't my intention. I hope y'all get that my main point was that's a lot of barrels and accessories, no matter how you do the math.
    +

No problem, I felt I needed to clarify the post. I know we talked about a lot, but it's all good.

The main point I made is the whole industry is in demand. I personally have some small parts that's been on order since last May (2013). The few hundred I order is nothing compared to the thousands on order from other companies. A few hundred pieces is small these days.

Dennis