Thread: The .257 STW!

Basic Member

The .257 STW!

Well, a fellow forum member recently sold me a Savage small shank SS Varmint barrel reamed from .25-06 to .257 STW.

I had been "hoarding" 7mm STW brass as well.

When this package of barrel, dies and some brass came along priced right ......... and my desire to try a .257 WBY already in place ........ well, the "jump" to the STW family came naturally!

So I took apart my .300 RUM project and set it aside and on went the .257 STW .......

I did a lot of web searching and the info is not plentiful but I keep digging. I found the reloader nest info and the Layne Simpson (Shooting Times articles) from a few years ago.

I also find some solace from judging powders by way of looking at 7mm STW published data and running up into heavier slug loads ............ I am running the 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip for now ........ a likely "coyote saw" ........... and from my limited work thus far am leaning towards 7mm STW 160 gr. bullet data to line up with a 100 gr. .257 bullet in the same case .....

It may sound overly cautious ........... and it may well in fact be too cautious ......... but thus far it seems to work ... if only for starting loads ...........

Now you could ask yourself ......... why so much difference?

I began this odessy by looking at the nearest reference that's available ......... to compare the 7mm WBY to the .257 WBY and how the same powder in each lines up with respect to different bullet weights in published data. A trend formed pretty quickly ....... and then I transfered that knowledge to the 7mm STW ........

It's no mystery that necking down a case of any given volume will back up pressure ........ not withstanding a much lighter bullet ........ charges will necessarily have to be reduced.

I am only begining this journey and am sure to learn much more .........

On paper thus far ......... I have been able to get a group with RL 22 that shot .390" @ 100 yds with that same 100 gr. Nos. Bal Tip

And just recently, I switched to US 869 and got a .750" result at 86 gr. with about .040" of jump.

I may be wrong but I think I am seeing a long relationship starting to form with this wildcat ............

BTW ....... I am still using the 'ole tuppeware stock ......... LOL!

Best regards

Three 44s

Luke45
    dean is going to get all warm and tingly when he reads this

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    dean is going to get all warm and tingly when he reads this

Great! ....... I like to do my fair share!!

Best regards

Three 44s

I remember when this barrel and dies was up for sale. I almost picked it up but I think you beat me to it IIRC. Of course it would be a shooter. LOL. Glad it went to a good home.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Thanks Boots!

I was contemplating the whole affair for a bit ....... but I had been thinking about doing the same with my Varmint SS tube but going .257 WBY instead.

This STW number came along and the rest is history.

I know one thing ........ as this barrel continues to produce ....... my barrel that is still in .25-06 will be a good spare to rechamber to the STW version ........ I'll not be very worried about throat erosion.

I did clean it and still have a ways to go ......... some of my shootin' buddies warned me not to clean it because it might disturb the good shooting ........

What friends? LOL!

I'll have some more to report soon!

Best regards

Three 44s

Basic Member
    7828 and h 1000 are good powders in both the 7 stw and the 7x300 weatherby wildcat. Both cartridges are for all practicle purpose identicle
    as for performance. Of coarse the stw was originaly a wildcat also based off the 8mm mag case. Ive been using 80 gr 7828 with the 162 gr bullet
    for more than a decade in my 7x300 wby. Prior to that i used 89 gr h870 for more than 25 years in that cartridge. 7828 is a far superior powder in that cartridge.
    It also works well in the 7mm rum. What is your intended use for the cartridge?

Basic Member
    yobuck,

I have lots of other varmint guns for normal ranges and small game so I can keep the round count low on the 257 STW. My intent is to save it for long range predator sniping.

Best regards

Three 44s

Basic Member
    Yea some nice guy gave you a helluva deal on that.😁

Basic Member
    Yes, he sure did, didn't he ........... ? LOL!!

Best regards and thanks again!!

BTW, I am thinking I am reaching the limits of the tuppeware stock I am using on it. With heavier loads, I am getting two shots in tight and one as a flier. I did not get that with RL 22 and lighter loads to accomodate the faster burn rate. With US 869 and heavier loads and also a primer change to see if that makes a difference ........ and it did not.

Rather than burn the barrel up flailing around ....... I am going to wait and try a better stock and recheck some of the better loading points.

Three 44s

Basic Member
    With US869, the Federal 215 is about the only primer I'd go with. US869 is surprisingly hard to ignite even with magnum primers like the CCI 250. When I switched to the Federal 215 in my 6.5 Badger my ES and SD were cut in half and groups size shrank considerably as well.

Andrew

Basic Member
    Andrew,

You raise a good point! Thanks!

I have tried CCI 250's and Rem. 9 1/2 Magnums and neither are setting my groups on fire ....... so to speak.

I'll have to procure some Federal 215's ........ the large pistol Federals have done great duty in my large revolver cartridges and the Federal 210 was one of my staples in .22-250 with Varget.

......... and the "215" is touted as the hottest large mag rifle around.

Makes sense

Best regards

Three 44s

I bought the action, dang it! I knew I should have bought the package lol. I look forward to seeing your reports. 25cal is awesome. I love my 257wby
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Have you run anything on a chrono yet?
    Im picturing a coyote exploding like a prarie dog :)
    lots and lots of red mist

Basic Member
    Houdini coyote! You see him ......... and then you don't! LOL!

Seriously, a 87 gr. Speer TNT out my .25-06's ....... well ...... they be dead!

The reason I got the itch for the .257 STW is that I have a Varmint SS in .25-06 and I was contemplating having it rechambered to the WBY round. Well, a little math and a little reading and I thought .......... WHAT THE HECK! How could I get hurt on the deal ...... I'd have a WBY by backing the STW down and could run it up to really scream!

And it's not to make them deader ...... but rather to get more range.

I have not broken out the Chrono yet ......... but I am itching to!!

I figure with the amount of barrel life this hot rod carries, I am going to wait and line up a better stock (maybe) and say the Federal 215 primer ............ and whatever else strikes me ......... before I shoot it much more.

But when things start hoppin' ....... I'll be sure and post the results!

Best regards and thank you!

Three 44s

Basic Member
    Update:

I have not done any more shooting yet but JUST landed both a brick of Federal 215 match primers (for all my biggin's) AND four pounds of Retumbo for RUM projects.

I have a good supply of 7828 short version layed away as well and still have not given up on the US 869 I have on hand.

I'll be back to making "smoke" with this outfit shortly!

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 10-30-2014 at 10:14 AM.