Thread: Model 29a help needed

Mals9

Model 29a help needed

Hello.
    I am new to the site but not rimfire. I confess I am a Marlin guy.
    i am trying to fix a FTF problem with my friends Ranger, Model 29a, and I need a new firing pin. I have ordered 2 from separate sources but they did not fit. It appears that the height of the flat portion of the pin is to high to allow it of fit in the breech block and the round portion of the pin is .005 shorter than the existing pin. This rifle has a round barrel that I believe puts it after 1946. All the numbers match so and I do not believe the action has ever been disassembled. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    This is a nice little pump gun that needs to get back to working.
    Thanks

Mals

Basic Member
    Pictures would really help, also if you could post exactly what is stamped on the gun and the serial number range that could help also (x out the last two digits if you do not wish to post the whole serial number). I was not aware that the 29-A's had different firing pins, I have changed a few and never had a fit problem, but I have not compared any from different years and Savage had a habit of changing parts.

I do not believe any house brand pumps were made after WWII so even though it has a round barrel it would be early 40's at the latest - some house brands had round barrels going back to the 30's.

Mals9
    Here it is.

The firing pin

The round portion of the firing pin is about .005 shorter than the existing, the diameter is correct, and the height of the flat portion is about .003 taller. The taller portion of the pin will not allow it to fit into the breech block.
    I can get pics of the original pin but it will be a couple of days.

Basic Member
    I have a Ranger with a serial number about 1000 lower and a couple with numbers about 2000 higher plus some very late 29-A & B's andewill try to compare sometime after this weekend - I know there are some small differences in early and late bolts but had never had firing pins that would not fit - only have replaced a couple though. I am probably not going to disassemble any bolts though, I will only be able to compare what is visible on a complete bolt.

Mals9
    I appreciate the help.

Mals

Basic Member
    I finally got to compare three bolts - measuring the exposed parts of the firing pin I see very little difference, not enough that I would think it mattered, but evidently tolerances must be tighter in some guns. Here's what I found -

Mals9
    Sav22 thank you very much for the response. I am on my 3rd firing pin and cannot get it to fit into the bolt without heavy modification. I modified the latest NOS pin last night to fit into the bolt and the first round fired and the next 8 were very light strikes or no strikes. I noticed that there is a small spring that runs across the firing pin channel, I assume this is for the extractor. I appears that this sits a little above the bottom of the firing pin channel and may be causing the firing pin to hang up. At this point I am stumped. The frustration level is rising at this point.

Mals