Thread: Hog down!

Basic Member

Hog down!

I had spotted a lot of sign of hogs around one of the stock tanks recently, so I broke out my Stevens Model 200 in 7mm-08 and set up an early morning reception party for them. Right at dawn this one showed up. I introduced him to a Hornady VMAX at 128 yards. The bullet hit him right in front of his ear and did not exit. He took about 2 steps and collapsed.

romad97
    NICE!!! Hogs are still my favorite animal to hunt.

Basic Member
    They're so doggone destructive that we keep after them all year around, and can just barely keep up with their reproductive rate! Just when we think we have them under control, one of our game cameras will pick up a sounder of them with a few adults and 8-10 youngsters in the group. So we lay siege to them again!

romad97
    I was stationed at Fort hood from 2002-2008. I killed a whole bunch of hogs in the central Texas area when I was there. Hogs are how I got started bow hunting. We have hogs here in GA, currently stationed at Fort Benning but, not nearly as many as we had at Fort Hood. Fort Hood would actually let us bait hogs, Benning won't. I just got on a new lease though and we are allowed to bait there so I am going to start getting after them again here pretty soon.

Basic Member
    romad97, first of all, thank you for your service! I'm a Vietnam vet, and two of my sons went to Desert Storm (and returned safely!).

Here in Texas we're allowed to bait hogs, so I keep at least one feeding station going year around to try to keep their interest and their damage contained to one area of the property.

Good luck with your new lease, and let us see and hear about your hunts!

Have you tried Helo hunting for hogs, check out the Sportsman Channel The Pig Man Series night hunting with night scopes hogs never know what hit them.

Basic Member
    balljoint, I've watched a lot of videos on helo hunting for hogs. I'd love to do it, but it's a bit out of my pay grade! I've also seen the night scope hunts. They're a bit more affordable for us poor folk, but the closest one to me is about a 5 hour drive in each direction, so I haven't jumped on it yet.