Thread: First shots with my Axis 30-06

kenochs

Talking First shots with my Axis 30-06

I'm new to Savage rifles. The selection of left-handed bolt actions is rather limited, and for a guy on a budget, I decided on the Axis.

After spending 2 weeks in the factory box in my spare room, I finally had a chance to break out my new lefty 30-06. Woohoo!!

I got set up and took some shots at 50, 75, and 100 yards. Due to a cheap, piece o' sh!t scope (names have been removed to protect the guilty), I first was cursing my new rifle. Fortunately, I was able to borrow my uncle's Nikon, and it was smooth sailing from there. Nice tight groupings, and not too much kick. It was a joy to shoot.

I'm officially a Savage fan! :)

Basic Member
    Congrats and Welcome to the addiction :)

n4ue
    Kenochs. +1 on the congrats.
    I'll bet that '06 kicks pretty good. As I age, I don't enjoy recoil like I did when I was a pup.
    Even my Axis 7-08 had weight added to it, to make bench shooting more enjoyable. As a hunting rifle, I never used to feel the recoil from my Rem 700 ADL ('06) while deer hunting...
    have fun,
    ron

kenochs
    Thanks guys.

I was actually pretty pleased at the recoil, it was not what I was expecting. My dad has an older Remington (no idea the model). It kicks like a mule.

I do find the stock to be a little light. Perhaps down the road, may consider swapping in a heavier stock.

With the wide availability of aftermarket stocks most people are now opting for those for their axis rifles. Since I did several "SD" (stock dysfunction) jobs on my Axis rifles' OEM stocks, I actually came to like the performance of my mods which included a filled buttstock section and recoil pillar. My rifles shoot GREAT with these mods--so much so I did the same to my 111 hunter in 300 win mag.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

kenochs
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    With the wide availability of aftermarket stocks most people are now opting for those for their axis rifles. Since I did several "SD" (stock dysfunction) jobs on my Axis rifles' OEM stocks, I actually came to like the performance of my mods which included a filled buttstock section and recoil pillar. My rifles shoot GREAT with these mods--so much so I did the same to my 111 hunter in 300 win mag.
    When you say filled buttstock, you mean you drilled into the stock and filled it? I have not heard of that being done, but that is a nice way to add some weight to the stock w/o a full swap. Can you give me some details on how you did this, and what you filled with?

Actually it was quite easy--certainly easier then bedding the foreend area.

The buttpad pops off very easily, though I usually break the tab cause I'm basically a klutz. I then take a 1" aluminum tube and hammer one end flat so that it slides up as far as possible into the stock wrist/trigger area and the other end sits up against the buttpad. I fill the tube with a spring, steel washers and rubber bushings--I can't prove that it really absorbs recoil well, but even if it doesn't it will still reduce stock flex and add weight to that part of the stock. I epoxy the tube at both ends and fill the remaining area with a high-desity foam of some sort.

I've found that it's not really necessary to add a bunch of weight--in fact I really like keeping the weight down--you're going to notice every extra ounce on the long hunts deep into the woods and up mountain sides. My 300 win mag is very tolerable and my 308 is a pleasure to shoot, I rarely have any shoulder pain and that helps in reducing my "flinch reflex." Muzzle lift is also minimal--though I use brakes and they probably help in this.

PS--the plastic stock can also be easily cut down to adjust to a better length of a pull.

kenochs
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Actually it was quite easy--certainly easier then bedding the foreend area.

The buttpad pops off very easily, though I usually break the tab cause I'm basically a klutz. I then take a 1" aluminum tube and hammer one end flat so that it slides up as far as possible into the stock wrist/trigger area and the other end sits up against the buttpad. I fill the tube with a spring, steel washers and rubber bushings--I can't prove that it really absorbs recoil well, but even if it doesn't it will still reduce stock flex and add weight to that part of the stock. I epoxy the tube at both ends and fill the remaining area with a high-desity foam of some sort.

I've found that it's not really necessary to add a bunch of weight--in fact I really like keeping the weight down--you're going to notice every extra ounce on the long hunts deep into the woods and up mountain sides. My 300 win mag is very tolerable and my 308 is a pleasure to shoot, I rarely have any shoulder pain and that helps in reducing my "flinch reflex." Muzzle lift is also minimal--though I use brakes and they probably help in this.

PS--the plastic stock can also be easily cut down to adjust to a better length of a pull.
    Great suggestions, thanks Thermaler.

Quote Originally Posted by kenochs View Post
    Great suggestions, thanks Thermaler.
    You're welcome. The best part is--most people are going to ditch the plastistock anyway--so it's really a "nothing to lose" proposition to attempt your own mods.

Reeseman
    Back in 2010 I bought an Axis 30-06 from a co worker who said it wouldn't shoot at 100 yards . It was a factory scoped deal with a cheap Bushnell scope . Well he was right , it did not shoot well , but I suspected the scope from his first description of the groups he was experiencing . I paid $175.00 for it in his fit of rage hoping it was the scope . I mounted an old original Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 that I had sitting around and the rest is history . With factory Remington Corelocked ammo it shoots under 1.5'' at 100 yards . It does not recoil too bad for a light gun . I have used it a lot since I put it together because its light and I don't care about it getting treated rough in the field . I have never had a problem with it and have lent it out several times to friends . They are typical Savage . Not pretty but very functional .

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I for one am pleased to see another member of the elite "Axis '06 Shooters"...

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy my beloved '06.

PS - dig around thru the Axis section. There's several threads about what you can do to the factory stock to make shooting it a bit more pleasurable. Lotta guys here have tinkered with them and shown quite a bit of creativity. Including one tech thing I did about fore end reinforcement and taking some of the wiggle wobble out of the Axis "Flex-o-Matic" stock.

Enjoy your new addiction.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

cranebird
    I intend to fill the stock through the rectangle hole that the trigger section piece locks into.I haven't yet but I intend to.

Basic Member
    Just as easy to pop off the recoil pad - remembering that it's plastic and brittle and snaps real easy - and fill it with whatever your favorite stuff is.

I filled one about a year or two ago with Liquid Nail. Don't ask me why. I just happened to have 8 tubes of it in the shop. I packed styrofoam in the end over the Liquid Nail to prevent it from running out and reassembled the recoil pad.

About 4 months later I drilled thru the stock to mount a Kydex cheek rest. I carefully marked my drill points and proceeded. As I pulled the drill bit back out it was followed by a glob of Liquid Nail and it cascaded down the sides of the stock.
    The stuff won't harden without air.

Just a little useful info from yer 'ol Uncle Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Just as easy to pop off the recoil pad - remembering that it's plastic and brittle and snaps real easy - and fill it with whatever your favorite stuff is.

I filled one about a year or two ago with Liquid Nail. Don't ask me why. I just happened to have 8 tubes of it in the shop. I packed styrofoam in the end over the Liquid Nail to prevent it from running out and reassembled the recoil pad.

About 4 months later I drilled thru the stock to mount a Kydex cheek rest. I carefully marked my drill points and proceeded. As I pulled the drill bit back out it was followed by a glob of Liquid Nail and it cascaded down the sides of the stock.

He now fills his stocks with barbeque sauce--he can't wait to process and eat his hogs in the field.

Basic Member
    Now I wish I had kept those old Axis stocks. You just gave me a great idea...

I suppose I could hollow out the Boyd's stock and line it with plastic or something.

Basic Member
    Had to modify mine by cutting it down and inch and 5/16'' so I could adjust my LOP using a hacksaw, vise and some sandpaper. Looking back I should have used a Mitre Saw/Band Saw but didn't have either one laying around. Then I cut a "filler" piece of 3/4'' plywood and seated where the recoil pad used to go and used some JB Weld to hold it in, and then covered it with a Limbsaver Recoil pad. After that removed the trigger guard and used that little hole to fill it with Great Stuff. This also means in the future if I want to use a spade bit I can drill into the plywood and make some room to insert some 1'' PVC pipe closed off with some manner of tape and use that to hold a Mercury recoil reducer or Thermaler's recoil reduction system :)
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

kenochs
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeseman View Post
    ?.. Not pretty but very functional .
    Kinda like me. Lol

kenochs
    I for one am pleased to see another member of the elite "Axis '06 Shooters"...

I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy my beloved '06.

PS - dig around thru the Axis section. There's several threads about what you can do to the factory stock to make shooting it a bit more pleasurable. Lotta guys here have tinkered with them and shown quite a bit of creativity. Including one tech thing I did about fore end reinforcement and taking some of the wiggle wobble out of the Axis "Flex-o-Matic" stock.

Enjoy your new addiction.
    I have already been checking it out, getting some ideas. :)

kenochs

Good to know!

savagetoter
    Sounds great OP! Make sure you use some lock tight (removable kind) on your scope rings and bases. I have a Model 700 in .30-06, and had the same problem with a cheaper scope and basic rings. I decided to get the one piece rings, for the Model 700, and a higher end Bushnell scope...never had a problem with "wondering zero" after that.

kenochs
    Quote Originally Posted by savagetoter View Post
    Sounds great OP! Make sure you use some lock tight (removable kind) on your scope rings and bases. I have a Model 700 in .30-06, and had the same problem with a cheaper scope and basic rings. I decided to get the one piece rings, for the Model 700, and a higher end Bushnell scope...never had a problem with "wondering zero" after that.
    Great advice, thanks!

Currently looking into a nicer scope, which Bushnell did you go with?