Thread: Berger VLD's

lwink

Berger VLD's

Well, I've decided to try out some Bergers finally, some 105 6mm pills. Not knowing much about them I was wondering if those with knowledge/experience could tell me the differences between their match grade hunting bullets and standard Target bullets, both in construction and more importantly accuracy that I should expect. Looking for target shooting mostly, but got a deal on some of the hunting vld's and was wondering if the accuracy would be up to par with the target bullets. Any info about this would be great! Thanks.

Senderofan

Re: Berger VLD's

I wondered the very same thing...I decided to go with the hunting VLD. It has the same B.C. as the target...and when I want to...I can use the same round for hunting as I do target shooting ( non-competition ). From what I've read...it looks as though the hunting version has a thinner jacket..which affords expansion at longer ranges. The target version has a thicker jacket...so probably little or no expansion...but nice round holes.

Here's a lively discussion...with some insight...one guy is from Lapua USA: http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ing-vld-39861/

I tried Sierra MatchKing's for hunting Antelope one time. They really performed well for the conditions we were hunting in as far as accuracy goes.....but terminal performance was not "Ideal". They basically penciled straight through. The hydrostatic forces caused much of the lungs to become goo....but I would have preferred a bigger exit wound. The animals did not suffer....but I could envision a bad situation if shot placement was a bit off....thus...if the hunting VLD's perform to where they have decent expansion....we'll have a great combo.

Good Luck,

Wayne

The only difference is the thickness of the jackets. Targets have a thicker jacket. Hunting has a thinner jacket for better terminal performance on game.

You'd be hard pressed to see a difference in accuracy.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    The only difference is the thickness of the jackets. Targets have a thicker jacket. Hunting has a thinner jacket for better terminal performance on game.

You'd be hard pressed to see a difference in accuracy.
    correct, they were having a few issues with jackets coming apart with fast twist, super fast rounds so they made the target bullets with a thicker jacket. the hunting bullet is the original
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

So if were using a hyper velocity and or fast twist rifle for hunting we should stick with a bullet designed for such purposes? Like an A-frame or bonded bullet?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Budweiser360

FWIW the 105&#39;s now do not share the same BC because of knock out punches in the dies that they use to make them. The target 105VLDs now have a .251 G7 BC and the hunting 105VLD has a .272 G7 BC