Thread: .223 bolt gun load Question

gotcha

.223 bolt gun load Question

two questions; #1. working up .223 seating depth test loads w/ IMR 4895. load books show max loads of from 26 to 27 grns w/this powder and 50 grn bullet. Using 25grns powder can't get bullet more than.020" off lands b/4 bottoming out on powder column. ( cases were previously fire formed) Have A-2230,8028XBR,IMR4198 also available. Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions please.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #2 McGowen.223 bbl 1:9 twst. With 69grn smk seated to "kiss" touch lands (2.295" oal) base of bullet is about 1/16" below body / shoulder junction! I know, I Know I should have checked free bore specs BEFORE purchase. But who'd a thunk a 1:9 twist WOULDN'T be throated for loooonnng bullets!! Any suggestions as to how to get around this prickly problem? Thanks all in advance, Dale

Budweiser360

Re: .223 bolt gun load Question

#1 You can run a compressed load. With a 50grn bullet I would use a faster powder like the 8208 instead of that 4895.
    #2 Bullets for a 1-9" aren't "looooooong" in my book, so a 1-9" barrel doesn't necessarily need a long throat, unless specified. However, this can be lengthened with a throat reamer to suit your needs. It doesn't matter where the base of the bullet is when talking about boat tail bullets. Ideally, you want the body-BT junction at the neck-shoulder junction or slightly above.

gotcha

Thanks B/W360! #1 ques. Went the IMR-4895 route based on a rave review from another site. His win. brass evidently gave him more case capacity than my Rem brass! But, hang on, I just bought 100 rds of Lapua yesterday. Haven't had time to chk capacity differences after fireforming. These comments just an aside really. Your input is appreciated. re: compressed charges. these bullets are being forced back out of the case after seating! definitley not conducive to trying to establish ideal seating depth. Some powders can be compressed, some can't.-----------------------------------------------------Ques. #2. Don't want to go the throat reamer route if possible. But it is an alternative! However, with the 69smk seated to the lands the bearing surface at boat tail junction of bullet is approx. 1/16" below neck/shoulder junction of case. the base of the bullet is approx. 1/16" below the shoulder/body junction of the case. Various reloading manuals caution that this condition will lead to pressure excursions. And, it will only get worse when seating bullets deeper insearch of ideal seating depth. Not trying to be argumentive. But, have you had experience with this condition in this caliber? If so, What were the results ? I've never before experienced these conditions and would more than appreciate any specific data you might lead me to. Thanks, Dale

gotcha

Is anyone shooting a McGowen bbl. in .223 rem. 1:9 twist that can recommend a load for 69grn smk and/or 50grn nos. b-tip? Or, any powder/bullet combo that works for you? All input appreciated. Thanx, Dale

Team Savage

Tightest groups I shot in my 1:7 twist was 52 gr amaxes over 27gr of Varget which is a very hot load.
    .015 off the lands and would shoot 1/4-3/8

Don't have the Sierra manual, but Nosler #6 shows the following with a 69 grain bullet

AA2230 -Most accurate powder tested
    23.5 2870fps *Most accurate load tested
    22.5 2784fps
    21.5 2720fps

IMR4895
    23.5 2818fps
    22.5 2648fps*Most accurate load tested
    21.5 2531fps

Since your throat is kinda short, you might want to be careful around max loads.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

gotcha

Guess nobody out there has a 1:9 .223 McGowen ::) Tammons: sounds like you've got a fine shootin' .223 there. I'll definitly try the AMAX Thanx, Dale Defrosch: Like the idea of the A-2230 load! 'cause it drops so consistently through the Dillon Thanks! Now I've got a confession to make :'( I re-checked my " to the lands" seating depth with the 50 & 69Grn bullets. ( my face is REALLY red right now) and found I was WAAAYYY off on my measurements. The new seating depth gives me much more room for powder! Don't know how I made such a stupid mistake but, Live and learn!! Thanks all for the input! Got to run right now so I don't miss my remedial math class :D Dale

jmeister

Quote Originally Posted by gotcha
    I re-checked my " to the lands" seating depth with the 50 & 69Grn bullets. ( my face is REALLY red right now) and found I was WAAAYYY off on my measurements. The new seating depth gives me much more room for powder!
    So what did you COL end up being now for the 69grn?