Thread: HELP! My 12BVSS won't go bang any more!

Basic Member

HELP! My 12BVSS won't go bang any more!

I did a stock replacement on my 12BVSS. Pulled the action; put it into the new stock; bore sighted it by removing the bolt and making sure that the bore and the scope were looking in the same general direction; bore sighted it using a bore sighting tool. Took the rig to the range this morning, and discovered that when I pull the trigger, I get a "dry fire" sound, but the firing pin does not strike the primer of the chambered round! I tried several different batches of ammo to make sure there was nothing wrong with the ammo I was testing with, and got the same results! What have I done? And, very importantly, how can I fix it??

First, remove your bolt and check to see if your firing pin is protruding from the bolt when the cocking knob is in the lowered "fired" position.

Also check the stock and see if any of the trigger parts are making any kind of contact with the new stock inletting area around the trigger. This is often a problem, and is normally easily cured by removing a bit of material inside the stock.

Did you change anything on the bolt? Like bolt heads, firing pins, or disassemble the bolt in any way?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    There really seems to be some information left out. what was the need to bore sight the gun if all you did was change the stock. As Boots said, we need more information as to everything you did to the rifle.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Maybe this is a Accutriggr deal. Are you sure you are not tripping the trigger before pressing the accutrigger safety blade all the way back?

Also, make sure there is adequate clearance for the sear and also the accutrigger blade all throughout its entire motion path from fired to cocking to firing again. One or both might be getting hung up on something.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    First, remove your bolt and check to see if your firing pin is protruding from the bolt when the cocking knob is in the lowered "fired" position.

Also check the stock and see if any of the trigger parts are making any kind of contact with the new stock inletting area around the trigger. This is often a problem, and is normally easily cured by removing a bit of material inside the stock.

Did you change anything on the bolt? Like bolt heads, firing pins, or disassemble the bolt in any way?
    Boots, I'll do as you suggest. I did not disassemble the bolt in at all. I lifted the entire action out of the old stock, put it to one side, and then dropped it into the new stock. I'll look for a bind somewhere around the trigger mechanism. Thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    There really seems to be some information left out. what was the need to bore sight the gun if all you did was change the stock. As Boots said, we need more information as to everything you did to the rifle.
    earl39, all I did was remove the action from the old stock and drop it into the new stock. I bore sighted it because I figured there might have been a chance that something had changed during the stock swap that would effect accuracy. It passed the bore sight testing just fine, so I did not need to change anything.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Maybe this is a Accutriggr deal. Are you sure you are not tripping the trigger before pressing the accutrigger safety blade all the way back?

Also, make sure there is adequate clearance for the sear and also the accutrigger blade all throughout its entire motion path from fired to cocking to firing again. One or both might be getting hung up on something.
    foxx, I'll check the AccuTrigger to make sure it's free and clear in its travel. Thanks for the suggestions.

Basic Member
    I removed the stock and saw a place, near the trigger group, where there was some rubbing marks. I took a small wood carving chisel and took about a fingernail’s thickness of wood out, put it back together, and it seemed to work/feel/sound better. I then took a couple of resized .223 cases, filled the primer pocket with candle wax, then loaded them into the chamber and pulled the trigger. The firing pin made nice marks in the wax filler. The next test will be at the range, as soon as I can get out there to do some real testing.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help! I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!!

Basic Member

My 12BVSS goes bang again!

Just got back from the range. 6 shots, at 100 yards; ideal conditions; and I was having a good day at the bench!

Basic Member
    Liar!! :)

Have you measured it?

Basic Member
    Haven't measured it. Those Shoot-N-C targets are great for us old guys with old eyes, but they're so mushy that you don't get a nice, crisp set of bullet holes to measure CTC (or any other way!). As long as it's "minute of prairie dog" or "minute of coyote," I'm happy with it!

jon8777
    Nice group. Whats your bullet and powder?

Basic Member
    jon8777, the bullet is a 69 grain Sierra ProHunter, in Lapua cases filled with 24.7 grains of IMR 8208, and detonated by CCI Small Rifle Primers.

Basic Member
    Velocity for that load of 8208XBR is 3180fps, measured 10 feet from the muzzle.

Basic Member
    Wow thats great. What twist barrel?

Basic Member
    It's the 1:9 twist, 26 inch barrel, limige.