Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my .223 bull barrel getting so hot?

Cool

Yes Uncle H, I have got my .223 shooting like that now but I will admit that it is not a factory tube. My barrel isn't having the heat isssue after I switched to the 69 SMK and AA2495. I have shot a few 10 shot groups under 1/2" and then I shot my first perfect score of 200-29X. I'll post a pic of some 10 shot groups and my F-class target... You've got me going now Cranebird.

cranebird
    I'll buy the coffee Sunday for picking on you.
    Last edited by cranebird; 08-11-2014 at 07:13 AM.

cranebird
    I have a Bull barrel on. I swore twice ! I bent my wrench beating the daylights out of it to break the barrel nut loose. So nice going back together except the stock stock is not meant to be opened up for a Bull barrel. I can slide .020 down the sides of the barrel/stock but there isn't much thickness, pretty much is a tapered pointy edged edge, going to see about putting a round through it maybe tomorrow night. It was sprinkling here tonight. How is this for suspense ? I have heavy duty stainless steel pillars in my Boyd stock today.going to bed it next.I relieved the front bushing so the screw recessed in the bushing just like the short one that was in it only I made it to go full length... What fun ! PS, the picture came out a bit dark !

cranebird
    I'm not sure I will be to Odessa Sunday, I think we will be working this weekend. Here is an actual picture you can see......

Looks great! Isn't it great working on your own rifle! you know that no one is going to screw it up. Is than an accu trigger on your axis?

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I'm not sure I will be to Odessa Sunday, I think we will be working this weekend. Here is an actual picture you can see......
    Glad to hear your doing good, and able to work.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    Looks great! Isn't it great working on your own rifle! you know that no one is going to screw it up. Is than an accu trigger on your axis?
    Fire forming is easy peasy lemon squeezy .

It cleans super easy in between rounds. Apache Jim did an excellent job on the barrel. I might not work this weekend now.I over did it a bit at work today, had to make a stupid trip to the ER today, I started bleeding out the nose and couldn't get it stopped. Finally it clotted up, they said it must have been a minor blood vessel that bursted ...I'll see how it goes tomorrow before committing for the weekend.

acemisser
    I'm still waiting for my smith to make my 88 mag.for me..**** he is slow.

Looks good,, I'm afraid I'm gonna run into some serious competition! You won't be able to touch me until you get some high magnification glass! LOL LOL. in all seriousness if you can get a good 250 yard zero and hold center mass you should be competitive with a 3x9. I like the way that the Axis has a more solid stronger looking action than the 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    I'm still waiting for my smith to make my 88 mag.for me..**** he is slow.
    I'm still working on my 416 cheeta tiger. It ought to be quite a bear.

cranebird
    Looks good,, I'm afraid I'm gonna run into some serious competition! You won't be able to touch me until you get some high magnification glass! LOL LOL. in all seriousness if you can get a good 250 yard zero and hold center mass you should be competitive with a 3x9. I like the way that the Axis has a more solid stronger looking action than the 10's.
    You and John can shoot extremely well. I want to do a .223 build on a Savage action that I can buy an aftermarket benchrest stock for next.

cranebird
    Was fire forming brass tonight. Here is fire forming 20 rounds of 24.5 gr Varget with 53 gr V Max at 100 yards through the new Apache Gun works barrel. The outside perimeter shots was an accuracy check to see if I could hit the lines of the cross. I am liking the Varget powder. Cleaning the bore in between rounds really suck ! I might be done with that crap although I only got 40 rounds formed.

cranebird
    I need a better scope though, a finer cross hair with some extra magnification behind it.

Shoot 5, clean and then shoot it like you normally would. I've tried about all the break in methods and can't discern a difference.

That is a good group, especially for a fresh barrel with zero load workup. Them Apache's really shoot don't they?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Shoot 5, clean and then shoot it like you normally would. I've tried about all the break in methods and can't discern a difference.

That is a good group, especially for a fresh barrel with zero load workup. Them Apache's really shoot don't they?
    It is better than I was expecting since they were left overs from the old .223 barrel batch. I was getting around to try a better bullet than the economy bullet which was shooting nearly as well with that same load and a 2 gr heavier bullet But they were stringing more vertically than horizontal through the other barrel , zero workup, manual book OAL to feed through a magazine.

Looks good cranebird! Check out the TruGlo straight 36X and fine cross hair,, a lot of mag for the buck.I bet it hold up good on heavy barrel .223 ack.

acemisser
    you guys are way ahead of me now....Might not come tomorrow and get wiped out....If I do it will be with the BR ..Working on a new load and not much range time so far...Busy shelling peas and all that good stuff......I doubt we will have any feed as I told Deb. No one shows to pigs out....Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    you guys are way ahead of me now....Might not come tomorrow and get wiped out....If I do it will be with the BR ..Working on a new load and not much range time so far...Busy shelling peas and all that good stuff......I doubt we will have any feed as I told Deb. No one shows to pigs out....Oh well....
    Bring what you will,, it's all about having fun and learning.

cranebird
    Looks good cranebird! Check out the TruGlo straight 36X and fine cross hair,, a lot of mag for the buck.I bet it hold up good on heavy barrel .223 ack.
    Oh my ! Don't get that started here. I got put on the slowest running laser machine for 2 days as punishment for picking on truglo scopes.

acemisser
    get a weaver T 24 or 36 plenty of scope and not over 400 bucks most places..

trying a nother bullet that I got for the 6br..Will be testing it tomorrow if all
    goes well....lol I thought the shoot was today and went down and no one showed up
    Hell to be loosing ones mind at such a young age...
    Last edited by acemisser; 08-16-2014 at 06:14 PM.

cranebird
    Seen a shiny silver weaver T-36 scope for $399 today.I might have to buckle down and get more serious about buying a scope. My heart says to stay with Sightron but my wallet says start looking for a second job ! My nephew borrowed my Midway rest a few years ago when he and his buddies were shooting a lot.He says he is going to return it but I'm still waiting. I went to order a new one but they are discontinued. I'm in the process of planning for building a interchangeable shorter bipod leg set for the bench rest .I got the bipod in the mail today from Ctrout. Chris was super quick on the transaction. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again in the future.The bipod looks great, just what I could use, especially when coyote season starts back up.

I shot a doe last night with a damage permit at 280 yards. I was using .308 with a 178 gr. A-Max going 2600 fps. you should of heard the report of the impact on the deer, WOW! I made a front head on spine shot,, drt.

Here is 2 ten shot groups on left and 13 on the right target. 100 yards.

Here is my first perfect 200 score 40 shots for record 4, 10 shot groups. At 190 yards.

acemisser
    awesome shootin dan.....your catching up with this old ******* fast...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast