Thread: Summer coyotes

Luke45

Summer coyotes

theres a pack of 6-8 coyotes that moved into my deer hunting spot, ive spotted them at 1000+ yards multiple times while scouting and they wont come into rabbit calls. they arent spooked, they just dong care one single bit. Ive barely missed 2 at long range, one at 600(shot over back) and 800 yards(shot between legs). they didnt even care when the rifle went off i dont think they even knew i was there.

how the heck do you call summer time yotes? ive killed alot of wintertime and sprink coyotes with distress and howls, but summer time i have no experience and my winter/spring tactics dont work

anybody? i need to kill them before deer season

Basic Member
    get a 308 or better and a range finder. Practice shooting at longer range! I'd like to visit Wyoming one day!

Luke45
    man i have a 243 and a 280AI that shoot lights out on long range paper from a bench. shooting a 7" tall coyote on cold bore that never stops moving, and cant get a perfect range reading on as their hopping throgh the brush is extreamly difficult. id rather get them closer and have a 100% shot to kill and not educate them or spook the deer

Basic Member
    Understand, I would sure like to take a crack at it. Maybe you can set up closer and let them come to you?

Luke45
    i had the same thoghts as you at first! then i shot about an inch over one back at 600 becasue in the time that i ranged it to the time i fired it moved closer, and then at 800 right between the legs just maybe 2" low. I dont like missing haha. and everytime you miss a coyote they get smarter!

I am no calling expert by any means, but I almost wonder if you should change your calls like fisherman change their baits. I have always kept my lures small at the beginning of the year and then increased size to match the natural baitfish size as they grow throughout the season. Point is I wonder if you might have better luck by using a Fawn in Distress type call as that may be a more alluring meal to them right now.

I have no experience with that, it is just a observation based off of logic as I am seeing it right now, but I may be overlooking something. If you try it let me know how it works. Here in the Midwest there is too much grass in most places for me to even attempt a summer coyote hunt so I am strictly hunting in winter and the same calls you are using now are what work for me during that time of the year.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Luke45
    Boots that's a good idea, the coyote I shot at at 600 was in the process of chasing a doe antelope and her fawn, that very well may be the ticket! I just need to kill 4 or 5 of those **** things there are to many in this spot and will keep the deer riled up all season if they stay. I saw 3 of thr coyotes Tuesday night over 1000 yards though and didn't shoot. hard to get close in a mile wide valley when they won't come to calls, maybe the fawn call will work!

Basic Member
    Try a decoy and a fawn in distress call

Team Savage
    let me throw in a pup coyote in distress call

Basic Member
    Just really depends on your location and if someone has already educated them with certain calls. I like to mix it up a little with a baby coon distress or a woodpecker

bremereric
    Why not try baiting them with something?

Sam5300
    I'd try the fawn decoy/ call in the summer . It's a more natural situation in my opinion

Luke45
    I missed one again, I think I'm going to give all my guns away. Haha I hate missing!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    I missed one again, I think I'm going to give all my guns away. Haha I hate missing!!
    Better give me a yell & we will go out and Ill show you how to get rid of them.

Luke45
    5spd, i usually pride myself in coyote killing, ijust have coyote fever right now ive been in a dry spell. ill PM you real quick

GTOHunter
    It's Winter time now but You still need to stay after those Coyotes.I use a Fawn in Distress Call or sound on my Electronic Caller in the Spring and early Summer when the Doe's are having their Fawns and while raising them.Be very Cautious when using that because some Doe's will be running in to protect their Young and keep an Electronic Caller off the ground so it doesn't get stomped/damaged!

I usually go and sit over fresh cut/mowed Hay Fields and use rabbit in distress and Fawn in distress sounds to draw in the Coyotes and they will be searching the fresh mowed fields any way to look for mice,snakes and injured Fawns!

Personally I like a low recoil Rifle for longer shots,a .204,.223 is what I use but a 22-250 will fit the bill if Your going further out.For closer Hunting a .22 Hornet or .17 Remington or Fireball is going to do the job among other Caliber Rifles or Shotguns for thicker cover!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    theres a pack of 6-8 coyotes that moved into my deer hunting spot, ive spotted them at 1000+ yards multiple times while scouting and they wont come into rabbit calls. they arent spooked, they just dong care one single bit. Ive barely missed 2 at long range, one at 600(shot over back) and 800 yards(shot between legs). they didnt even care when the rifle went off i dont think they even knew i was there.

how the heck do you call summer time yotes? ive killed alot of wintertime and sprink coyotes with distress and howls, but summer time i have no experience and my winter/spring tactics dont work

anybody? i need to kill them before deer season
    Deer season is probably over. Next time shoot at 100-150m yrds and kill em instead of trying w/ the howitzer and educating em.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Deer season is probably over. Next time shoot at 100-150m yrds and kill em instead of trying w/ the howitzer and educating em.
    easier said than done when they wont come to calls(these are educated coyotes, 5 min outside of town on public land) and you can see for about 2 miles in all directions LOL that being said i did get 2 of them