Thread: My first 1907

My first 1907

Hello,

I recently acquired my first 1907 Savage, a .32ACP manufactured in 1917 (171xxx). The gun is in overall excellent original condition. The only thing it's missing is the loaded chamber indicator.

It's absence generated two questions:

1- my own examination suggests the weapon will safely fire without the chamber indicator. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

2- I know it's a stretch to find a minor component for a 100-year old pistol. Are there caches of Savage parts still in existence? I can still find some parts for my old Walthers and given the numbers of Savages made (250k or so) I would imagine there is some stock left.

Any advice appreciated.

Lee

-gonzo, SoCenPA
    93GL, 1907

Follow-up...a member on THR directed me to Jack First, who has a used chamber indicator in inventory. I should say had, because I bought it!
    -gonzo, SoCenPA
    93GL, 1907

Basic Member
    Man you have just opened a bag of Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one trust me. I have 6 and 2 more coming. Nice piece by the way!

Basic Member
    I have recently purchased my first, a 1907 in .32
    I love the Art Deco look. I'll post pic's when I have it in hand. Serial#1680XX with loaded chamber indicator.

Well, my 1907-17 M1 got lonely. So last weekend I bought another one, at a local auction. It's a 1907-10 M2, so it's got the Type 1 sear and no safety bar. Condition is very good outside and excellent inside. I'm having some issues with the trigger bar mating with the sear. Both pieces look almost unused. It dry fires okay but actual firing causes the trigger bar to move out of alignment with the sear. I'm thinking a sloppy reassembly job may be the culprit so I was verrwy, verrwy careful putting it back together this time. A quick trip to the range tomorrow morning will tell me if I fixed it or if I still have a problem.

Here it is along with the other old-timer I picked up, a H&R Self Loading 32 from 1919. The H&R works fine in spite of a mag safety kludge done by Bubba the Gunsmith, apparently many years ago. Shoots to POA at 50ft, even with its awful trigger.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA
    93GL, 1907

Basic Member
    Looks nice!
    As member lkgmadmax say's they are addictive...

Yes! Very under-appreciated guns. Ian McCollum of forgottenweapons.com just posted a video comparing models. Informative, but he did use an award disassembly procedure, I wrote him about it.

My -10 does have a problem I haven't yet figured out. The trigger doesn't always move the sear trip. It seams to depend on how far down the trigger I put my finger when pulling it. If I hold high up near the frame it works every time, but if I hold down near the guard it seems to bind or not pivot. I do not see any excessive wear on the sear trip pin although there is a little slop where it goes through the trigger assembly. Numrich has a trigger for $30 but First and Poppert have nothing, no sear trips to be found anywhere. And my -17 has the safety bar so I'm not certain it will work in the -10. Not certain I want to buy that trigger only to end up with a bracelet charm.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA
    93GL, 1907

Basic Member
    There are good deals out there I picked up a 1909 mfg modification #1 model 1907 in .32 in decent shape recently for 300.00 shipped. To date that's my earliest one.