Thread: Source for Savage Pillars

Basic Member

Source for Savage Pillars

I've got the DEVCON and all the glassing materials to glass bed...need some pillars...any recommendations? Ones you've used in the past? Going into a wood stock.

romad97
    You can make your own out of lamp rod, fairly easy. To be completely honest I have only pillard 1 rifle stock. I used these, http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-Pillar/Detail . Job was fairly easy but I definately learned a few things I will do differently next time. I will use lamp rod next time instead of the pre made ones from stockys becouse the pre made ones have a flaired end on them, makes it impossible to pillar and bed at the same time. This leads me to my second point actually. The next time I do a pillar job, I will definately install the pillars at the same time as I bed it. Not that its difficult, I just think it would be easier. With all of this said though, I am not even certain I would ever pillar again to be honest. I would definately shoot the rifle first. If it shoots well, I would not even bother with anything other than a bedding job. If it doesn't, then I would pillar it.

Basic Member
    I've used these before and they worked very nicely on an old 110

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...s-prod982.aspx

Team Savage
    +1 for lamp rod

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    +1 for lamp rod
    I scoured my local hardware store looking for that today...NADA...any ideas...

I use old aluminum arrow shafts. Works great.

romad97
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I use old aluminum arrow shafts. Works great.
    This is an exellent idea. I knew there was a reason I kept all those old broken aluminum arrows for all these years.

Wouldn't arrow shafts be a tad thin for proper pillars? I make mine out of t-7 aluminum on my lathe and recently I am using old shot out barrel stainless to make them. Lamp rod is thin and weak and don't advise that either.I make the od at 9/16th's and drill them over size for the 1/4-28 thread so no stress is caused by the pillar by bolt contact.I have been thinking about making a bunch as I always need the darn things anyways.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Jon, You make them and I'll buy a set...would really like them in aluminum if possible...

Arrow shafts are not weak at all. If you can crush one you are waaayyy to tight.

Basic Member
    Once the bedding material sets, assuming it completely surrounds the pillars, almost anything will work. I 'spose the bottom of the pillars are not always wrapped with the epoxy.

Basic Member
    Pretty sure the whole idea behind pillars in the first place is to put some shoulders behind the action screws to bolster them as they sit in the action and stock...not necessarily to act as a second and third recoil lug (although I am sure to do carry some load) but to greatly increase the area the action screws reside in. And greatly increase their sheer load capability..the idea of using arrow shaft not much larger in diameter than tha action screws themselves seems counter productive to me...

romad97
    Well I may be wrong, which is fairly often, but I thought the only real purpose of a pillar was to eleviate the possibility of either 1. crushing the stock, and 2. to keep the action at a constant pressure, meaning to put all the pressure on a piece of metal that will not expand and contract like wood does. I honestly didn't know that pillars had anything to do with recoil or any other factor for that matter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by romad97 View Post
    Well I may be wrong, which is fairly often, but I thought the only real purpose of a pillar was to eleviate the possibility of either 1. crushing the stock, and 2. to keep the action at a constant pressure, meaning to put all the pressure on a piece of metal that will not expand and contract like wood does. I honestly didn't know that pillars had anything to do with recoil or any other factor for that matter.
    I think Capt and Romad are both kinda right. In fact, the screws should not touch the pillars in any way other than at the bottom. If the screw does touch the sides of the pillars, you're getting interference with the "action's action" under recoil that should actually be avoided. All they are intended to do is keep the stock from compressing and therefore the torque pressure of the action screws consistent. Having said that, as long as they don't touch the sides of the screw under recoil, etc. and they don't crush or swell, they are good. THe beefier the better, but you get to a point of no extra benefit.

azsteve
    I have used Brownell's adjustable pillars on several rifles with very good results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Pretty sure the whole idea behind pillars in the first place is to put some shoulders behind the action screws to bolster them as they sit in the action and stock...

Actually they're used to prevent stock material compression from screw torque, nothing more. They were "rediscovered" with the introduction of foam core fiberglass stocks in the '70s, the screws crushed the laminate and foam when they were tightened. I say rediscovered, Paul Mauser used a version of them on his '98 rifles for exactly the same reason.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.