Thread: Problem removing the magazine from the original stock on a Model 12

Basic Member

Problem removing the magazine from the original stock on a Model 12

I purchased a new stock for my Model 12 in .223 Remington. According to the folks at Boyd's, it should be a fairly straight forward swap process. The problem I've run into is removing the old magazine from the well of the original stock. I can rock it back and forth, and get it to come up a quarter of an inch or so, but then it hangs up. I've looked at the parts diagram and I can see nothing that would or should be holding it. Do any of you have a suggestion on how I can remove the magazine without buggering it up?

Thanks.

Grab a hold of it with a pliers (gently) at the front and pull up, if the " L " clip is still holding it in pop off with a flat blade screw driver.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Thanks, froggy! The "L" clip is still in place, but I was hesitant to try prying it out since I was not sure if it had been glued in place as part of the original build process at the Savage plant. Also, since I did not see the clip shown in the parts diagram I was not certain what purpose it served. Would you recommend that I remove the clip first and then work the magazine up and out?

I've also heard that accuracy can be improved by removing some material from under the tang, allowing it to "float" above the stock. Do you recommend doing this with a Dremel tool?

Thanks for your help!

Basic Member
    There is a good article on this subject with full pictures and directions available in the FAQ section:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...wer-(SF-and-CF)

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys! I got it removed and replaced, thanks to your help. Now I need to figure out what torque I should use on the stock mounting bolts. Seems to me as though I've seen a discussion of this topic; the front bolt is at one setting, and the rear bolt is at a different one. . .

Here's the new and old stocks.

Last edited by mikein; 07-19-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Basic Member
    I took my newly stocked 12BVSS to the range today and discovered that I had a problem! I pull the trigger, it releases, but the firing pin doesn't strike the primer! Since all I did was swap stocks, I'm really baffled by this. I tried several different rounds from different batches, but I don't get a pin strike! Any ideas at all??

The action/trigger is binding in the stock somewhere, find the spot then relieve it and all should be good.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    I did what you said this morning, froggy, and found a spot where there was contact with the trigger group. I quick pass with a carving chisel and a couple of tests with empty cartridges with wax in the primer pocket, and the problems is gone! I'll be field testing it with live ammo in the next couple of days. Thanks for your suggestion.

Just to check take a couple of rounds no powder or bullet just primer and see if they go off( can do this out in yard or in the basement).
    If they fire you are all set, head out to the range.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Just to check take a couple of rounds no powder or bullet just primer and see if they go off( can do this out in yard or in the basement).
    If they fire you are all set, head out to the range.
    Thanks again, froggy!