Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Basix SAV-2 vs SSS Competition Trigger

Basic Member

Rifle Basix SAV-2 vs SSS Competition Trigger

I've been reading quite a bit on these two triggers. I have a SAV-1 in my Custom Axis that runs comfortably at 1-1.5lbs. I have read on another forum that the SSS Competition Trigger he received was a little gritty and not up to par with what he was expecting. I have high respect for SSS products that I own and currently use.

I have not heard or read of any bad experiences with the SAV-2.

This trigger will be going in a rifle that I will be using for Long range Steel Matches, Tactical Matches, and Hunting.

I know members have and enjoy both, what information from personal accounts can you provide about these 2 trigger systems considering installation and use?

Thank you,

LW
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 07-16-2014 at 01:02 AM.

SAV-2: It took me longer to adjust the trigger vs. installing it. I found it to be very simple. Adjusting the travel, creep, and pull to get it exactly where I wanted it really was simple, but fine tuning it was just like any other part needing fine adjustment. I have the pull around 4oz's and have not touched the adjustments since the initial setting. It passed the bump test. I also have a SSS Competition Trigger which works well for me. I have let others shoot my rifles and most have asked about the triggers when finished.

JMO, Dennis

Basic Member
    I too have a SAV-2 installed on one of my rifles. It came with simple to follow instructional DVD that guided me through the install process. Setting the trigger weight however is a little less clear. I had to use trial and error (without ammo) and settled on 14oz. Perhaps I could have gotten it lower but 14oz seemed plenty light at the time. The trigger has been on my rifle for approx 3 years and has never failed once.

Basic Member
    THough I have only used SSS Comp and Rifle Basix Sav-1 (not 2), and like them both, I prefer the SSS to RB Sav-1. I understand you were not asking about RB Sav-1, but I think these two or more comparable in terms of low-end adjustability.

The RB Sav-2 is designed to go much lower, more for bench/target , and more comparable to the SSS EVOLUTION trigger. I have heard excellent reviews on both of these. The EVOLUTION, however, requires the action be Trued and Timed by Fred at SSS.

I guess my point is you're asking for opinions about triggers that are not designed for the same purpose. I doubt anyone shooting target would prefer the SSS Comp to the RB Sav-2 for the same reason they would not choose the Sav-1 over the Sav-2. (Sav 1 and SSS Comp go down to roughly 1.5 lbs, Sav-2 and Evolution go to about 4 oz.; big fundamental difference.)

Basic Member
    Good point foxx! From what I'm looking for I'm thinking the SAV-2 will give me more room to play with as the heaviest trigger that is to my liking is in the 1-1.5lbs club. That is where my SAV-1 on my Axis falls, but I would like to go a little lighter for my intended purposes, so I believe I'm going to go with the SAV-2.

Basic Member
    Let us know how you like it. I may give it a try as well.

BTW, I am beginning to think triggers are somewhat like rifles... each can be slightly different. I have tried several regular Accutriggers and Varmint Accutriggers. Likewise, I have tried a few of the various aftermarket triggers. No two of the same model were exactly the same, in my book. I find that t be especially true with the accutriggers. I have 2 varmints. 1 is okay, the other is awesome. I got the good one from a trusted member here. I could not believe it! NO way did it even compare with the other one. Similarly, some of my regular accutriggers are pretty light at the low end, others are quite a bit heavier. If I were to judge any of them by the worst examples, I'd say they suck. Of course, I'd swear by the good examples . Just my experience and observations after owning and working on about 15 Savages both old and new.

Basic Member
    That's the joy of mechanical instruments. Everything can be just about the exact same specs on 20 completed pieces and 1 or 2 of them could be lemons. That's when the excuse of "this must have been out together on a Friday afternoon" comes along.

Looking at it all though I think the SAV-2 looks easier to install as well and I've read the many people have had to modify the SSS trigger for install. As for the accutrigger I think it is a good trigger, but for fast follow ups with a bolt action the blade is just another part you have to learn to work with. Being in the Military and doing training, as well as actual patrols overseas, I am very confident in my trigger control and know how a safety works lol

The RB Sav-2 is designed to go much lower, more for bench/target , and more comparable to the SSS EVOLUTION trigger. I have heard excellent reviews on both of these. The EVOLUTION, however, requires the action be Trued and Timed by Fred at SSS.
    I also have three rifles with the Evolution Trigger. I have let others shoot these rifles. I/We rate the Evolution #1, SAV-2 #2, and the SAV-1 #3. I still have a few with the accu-trigger and with a little tweaking, it's a nice trigger. The SSS Evolution triggers are on my F Class match rifles.

I've read the many people have had to modify the SSS trigger for install
    This I found to be a minor modification. A cut off wheel should be all that is necessary along with a steady hand.

Mach2
    The bump test on any trigger job is a must.
    However, there is a second more important test as well.
    1 Cock the rifle
    2 turn on the safety
    3 pull the trigger to verify it won't fire.
    4 here is the most important part. After pulling the trigger and verifying it won't fire with the safety ON; release the safety. Sometimes a rifle will fire on this test which is disaster. The operation of the safety lever to either ON or OFF should never let the gun fire. Yet this can happen. Check that it can't.

5 Never load ammo into any gun you have done trigger work on until you have performed all tests with the gun empty.

Don't have any SAV-1 or 2
    At around 2 lbs or less , I am not a fan of the accutrigger,
    At 2oz the evo is the cat's u know what.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    The bump test on any trigger job is a must.
    However, there is a second more important test as well.
    1 Cock the rifle
    2 turn on the safety
    3 pull the trigger to verify it won't fire.
    4 here is the most important part. After pulling the trigger and verifying it won't fire with the safety ON; release the safety. Sometimes a rifle will fire on this test which is disaster. The operation of the safety lever to either ON or OFF should never let the gun fire. Yet this can happen. Check that it can't.

5 Never load ammo into any gun you have done trigger work on until you have performed all tests with the gun empty.

Ya missed one there Mach.... Keep the stupid thing clean!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I put on a SAV 2 on a 110 long action, dvd was pretty clear except the part about taking the sharp edge off the sear. You may expect to do some slight fitting adjustment but that's covered in the dvd. Mines set at 4 oz. for target, and I absolutely love it. No reason why would ever need another trigger, breaks like a very thin ice-sickle. Shot a few hundred rounds with no accidental discharges except once in a match I touched the trigger as I was sliding my hand under the tactical bolt handle into the trigger guard area. I used orange nail polish to hold the screws in place.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I put on a SAV 2 on a 110 long action, dvd was pretty clear except the part about taking the sharp edge off the sear. You may expect to do some slight fitting adjustment but that's covered in the dvd. Mines set at 4 oz. for target, and I absolutely love it. No reason why would ever need another trigger, breaks like a very thin ice-sickle. Shot a few hundred rounds with no accidental discharges except once in a match I touched the trigger as I was sliding my hand under the tactical bolt handle into the trigger guard area. I used orange nail polish to hold the screws in place.
    Hmm good info Dan! Any particular reason for orange nail polish? Does it work better than pink or black? I don't know if my wife has orange in her collection

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Hmm good info Dan! Any particular reason for orange nail polish? Does it work better than pink or black? I don't know if my wife has orange in her collection
    LOL I used orange because I have a bunch of girls who have about every color there is, and orange reminded me of the precision accu-trigger blade and orange is easy to see on small parts.

Basic Member
    Foxx if you ever want an excuse to take a drive up north I have a sav 2 on my 22-250

Basic Member
    Cool. I may take you up on that.

Team Savage
    what are you guys using for trigger pull gauges ,,,,,,,,,thanks for your answers

Basic Member
    Currently, just my natural instinct and what I feel comfortable with, then test it for safety. I know what approximately what a 3-5lbs feels like, and I also know what a 1-1.5lbs feels like. When it's lighter than that It's all about safety at that point

Basic Member
    I have a $20 wheeler engineering trigger scale (spring) . It helps adjust and tune etc. Even though it just goes from 8 oz to 8 lbs. Certainly cheap but serves my purposes for hunting and recreational casual target shooting.

Most helpful when I set to minimums... is it worth one more slight twist of a screw for more reliable function when I am only losing a few ounces ? Of course the answer is yes but before I had a way to measure I would be more tempted to risk it because it gets hard to discern after a while. The scale tells me where I am when I am getting tired of fussing with it...

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You got something against orange nail polish?

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I have a $20 wheeler engineering trigger scale (spring) . It helps adjust and tune etc. Even though it just goes from 8 oz to 8 lbs. Certainly cheap but serves my purposes for hunting and recreational casual target shooting.
    This is as good as any for normal purposes. It will even distinguish between 44 0zs and 40 ozs. You don't really want an analog gauge that measures over about 8 lbs.

If you wanna you can spend more money and get a digital for even more preciseness but it isn't necessary

smokndav
    I have the Rifle Basix SAV-2 in both model 12s I have and love them. I do mostly bench rest shooting so set at around 8oz. works for me.
    The trigger now comes mostly assembled so a little less work in getting it mounted but the sear return spring can be hard to get into place. I made a tool out of an old screwdriver that makes is much easier.

Delete
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-23-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post

what are you guys using for trigger pull gauges ,,,,,,,,,thanks for your answers
    Believe it or not, I use a certified digital hand held fish scale to measure trigger pull and total rifle weight.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dennis! I was trying to figure a good way to measure rifle weight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast