Thread: Running loaded factory ammo thru press ??

Running loaded factory ammo thru press ??

Need some advice, if bullets are getting stuck in my barrel when I try to eject a live round, is it possible to run factory loaded fgmm 168 smk through a press to seat the bullets a little deeper?

Basic Member
    IDK, but it is surprising to me your throat is cut so short. Is it custom or factory?

Probably not, though, cuz I am sure they are crimped. might mess them up?

Luke45
    if its the difference between having to pull all the bullets and being able to shoot them, id say go ahead and seat them deeper as long as thier not crimped

Is there a crimp on federal gold medal match? It's a factory savage 10 that I had the recoil lug replaced. The smith used the standard go and no go gauges to headspace, I watched him as he did it all.

Any thoughts?

I do that all the time, when I load a batch that is even to hot for me, "yes it happens" I go back and seat the bullets 20 to 50 thou deeper depending on how much I have to tame them.

Dean

PS: Even if there is a crimp it would still be fine, the crimp would not be as tight that's all.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmmechan View Post
    Is there a crimp on federal gold medal match? It's a factory savage 10 that I had the recoil lug replaced. The smith used the standard go and no go gauges to headspace, I watched him as he did it all.

Any thoughts?
    yes....and a heavy crimp at that. I took one apart and was suprised as to how much crimp was used. It left a pretty good indentation on the bullet. personally?....If it cant handle a factory oem round?....id take it back to the smith
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    ??? "scope", how does seating your hot loads 20 to 50 thou. deeper "tame them" ???

Just Askin :-))........Thanks....Jim

Several have noted that many of the Savage rifles currently coming out of the factory chambered in 308 Winchester are short throated enough that Federal Gold Medal Match loads are jamming into the lands and causing pressure issues or problems extracting loaded rounds. It's not really a manufacturing defect, it's more of a compatibility issue. I'm not sure that Savage would offer a fix for the problem if the rifle meets their "specs". It would be interesting to see what their recommended bullet/seating depth really is, because a Model 10 F anything should be able to shoot factory GMM loads without issues.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    ??? "scope", how does seating your hot loads 20 to 50 thou. deeper "tame them" ???

Just Askin :-))........Thanks....Jim
    When the bullet is, close, touching, or into the lands it is met with immediate Resistance when it is fired, which builds pressure, if you seat the bullets shorter you allow the bullet to get a "Running start" which dissipates pressure, what you are essentially doing is increasing the freebore, in technical terms it is called the "free travel clearence jump" or in layman terms jumping the lands, Weatherbys are set up with extra freebore, that is why they can sustain so much pressure 70,000 psi plus and get the speeds that they get.

Spanky

PS: I never have any issue backing up or elaborating on any of my posts, if I did I would find another place to hang out, so fire away.
    Last edited by scope eye; 07-30-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I seriously doubt most factory crimps will be affected much by seating the bullet a bit in the press--as long as they're not compressed loads to begin with. I know it sounds crazy--but you might want to call Sierra and ask; though their "standard anti-lawyer response" might be don't touch em. ; )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Team Savage
    scope-eye is absolutely correct with his answer - it can't be explained any better than that.

Is the ammunition to spec, and not someone's reloads?

If the FGMM is crimped as is sounds that it is, I would pull down the rounds using a collet puller, resize the necks to remove the crimp, and re-assemble the rounds with the bullet seated deeper in the case.

If this is a constant problem with your rifle, it may be worthwhile to slightly increase the freebore of your rifle, after consulting with a couple different qualified gunsmiths, of course.