Thread: Primary arms 4-14X44 FFP vs. its Midway clone?

dirtdigger

Primary arms 4-14X44 FFP vs. its Midway clone?

Hey everybody! I 'm trying to find reliable info on these two. I like the reticle on the Midway version (hash marks) more than standard Mildot on PA scope and would have probably got one by now but a quick Goo-gle search revealed that Midway ones are supposedly made on a different factory and have inferior glass in 'em. If somebody could confirm or disprove that I 'm all ears and will appreciate it! Also if somebody had a chance to peek through both, could you tell me if the hash type reticle is thinner than the other since it kinda looks like it from the pictures but those are just that after all - pictures. I would prefer thinner lines myself. Thanks!

I had the BSA from Midway. Loved the scope. Glass seemed great for the price. Loved the reticle. Turrets were a little mushy, but tracked well. Problem I had was, somehow, the rear-most piece of glass, closest to your eye, came loose. I could hold it vertical, and push up on the glass and it would move inward at least a half inch, and fall back when I let off of it. Midway took it back, no problem. Would have exchanged it, but I opted for a refund, which was still no problem. Bought an SWFA 16x42. Love it. No issues thus far.

highorder
    I have the midway BSA. I haven't fired a single round with it mounted however. I'll be back to this thread with information when I have some. Stay tuned.

One of the PA boys posted your answer.... I think it was over on the Hide.
    Different places, whether or not that makes one inferior or not I don't know.

I did talk to the fine folks down at PA just the other day. Asked about recoil and the 4-14. Told me not to put it on a 308, but had one coming next month that was kosher.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

dirtdigger
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I had the BSA from Midway. Loved the scope. Glass seemed great for the price.

Curious how would you compare the glass between this and the SWFA SS you have now? One clearly superior to the other or about the same? Thanks.

dirtdigger
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    One of the PA boys posted your answer.... I think it was over on the Hide.

If you happen to run across it again, post a link here please. Or PM, either way. I guess I could call them and ask myself. Also would like to know when the higher magnification model comes out. I read somewhere that they are planning on making one.

Team Savage
    I have the primary arms one and have been very impressed. I have only used it on my .308 with a brake. I am not sure it will hold zero with my win mag. Clicks seem very positive and are repeatable. Not the clearest scope I have but not the worst either. Hard to beat for the money what you get out of it.